Not safe in their hands-

moon

Early morning radio news reported leaked minutes from a 'government' meeting on the first commercial plantings of GM maize. Deciding to endorse such plantings the meeting concluded that

Public opposition must be overcome

They are the words of a dictatorship. You'd better find an alternative to the Tory Boy opposition or your arses are grasses. I'm telling you as a mate. :o

This whole GM crops thingie seems to be missing the point. We don't need GM anything. Genetic modification offers little or nothing to improve what can be achieved by natural selection or conventional hybridisation. It is only to appease the US government and big business (Monsanto) that any attention is being given to this extremely dubious development in the first place.

A quick glance at the philosophies of the developing companies reveals some very doubtful properties of the crops - the most obvious one being that the seed from them is specifically altered to be sterile so that further crops can only be grown from seed obtained from the original supplier. This gives them then a monopoly on the particular crop and reaching the logical conclusion, Monsanto will control the whole of the world's agriculture and the USA will rule the world. This, as I pointed out is the extreme but, it is what things can come to without proper control.

It is not long ago that it was very rare to see any maize growing in the UK. It isn't a hardy crop, unlike the more widely grown and more useful grains like wheat, barley and oats so, do we need it at all, GM modified or otherwise? Maize as a crop in the UK, genetically modified or not, is just another example of the Americanisation of Europe and particularly the UK. A few years ago the only maize available was either in popcorn (American product), tins of Green Giant (American product) or for feeding birds. Now it is one of the mainstays of the cereal processing industry and used in just about everything - usually as glucose syrup (corn syrup) or the ubiquitous "modified starch" that appears in almost all processed foods these days.

It is very sad :( :( :(

Blair is a petty dictator, a grinning idiot petty dictator

I feel you insult grinning idiots.

But, what do we have as an alternative, Dracula's cousin or a redheaded Scot rather overfond of his country's main export?

It really depressing that this government,more so then any government I can recall in this country, is completely and utterly contemptous of the wishes of the people.

I think Blair once said he believed in benign dictatorship.

What is utterly depressing is that any civil protest against GM crops is likely to be met by jackboots and the protestors treated as common criminals.

Where's Wat Tyler when you need him?

Your bottom is still all funny, Andsome!

Perhaps he's making a statement :D

Well, I can't afford to get arrested so I'm going to support activists whenever I can. I'll vote Green if there's a candidate and I'll not vote at all if there isn't. I'll also pester my MP to argue for a referendum on any issue of national importance. Meanwhile I'll continue to help people get on line and stay online so that they get the drift of what's happening in the world . Bravo WF. B)