No 3D acceleration

Expertec,

I am at a bit of a loss here. Apart from pretty much trying all the above things again for the USB Controller, I have pretty much run out of ideas.

Can you remeber exactly what it was you were doing when they stopped working?

What does Dxdiag say about your USB devices under the Input tab? Also what version of Dx have you got installed?

Mr. M.

It may well be that ellas is correct and you are going to need to reinstall, but lets try one last thing.

You will need to go into device manager, and get to the properties for each device listed under and including your USB Controller.

I need you to write down all the drivers thay are using, and where they are located. You should be able to find this under the driver details button in the drivers tab page. Once you have noted all the files, disable all the USB devices.

Then go and rename all the files (change the ends, from for example .dll to .old). Once this is done, go back to device manager and remove the devices.

Reboot the pc and see what happens.

Mr. M.

Cheers folks, i will try what you say but i have a sneaky suspicion that a reinstalltion of xp is looking likey. Judging by the replies this sounds like hard work to me.

Anyway i will let u know what happens when i get back from a day out to Aintree for Grand National weekend. Wish me luck!

Thanks

Cheers folks, i will try what you say but i have a sneaky suspicion that a reinstalltion of xp is looking likey.  Judging by the replies this sounds like hard work to me.

Anyway i will let u know what happens when i get back from a day out to Aintree for Grand National weekend.  Wish me luck!

Thanks

if you were refering to reinstalling XP being difficult...its not..i had to do it today infact :o

Hello again!

I am back after my weekend jaunt to see the horse racing at the Grand National, a little bit lighter in the pocket and still having no more success with my USB problems!

I listed the drivers and deleted the ports from device manager. I did not change the file extensions, as I was wary, with them being mostly system files. On rebooting the following message presented itself:

--USB Controller

An error occurred during the installation of the device:

The driver installation files in this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF file was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor.

In device manager the following devices / drivers / locations were found.

-- Unknown Device

no driver files or required or have been loaded for this device.

--USB Root Hub

Microsoft driver

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys

--USB Root Hub

Microsoft driver version 5.1.2600.1106

--USB Root Hub

Microsoft driver version 5.1.2600.1106

---VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Hub Controller (* three devices)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbport.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbui.dll

Should I just go ahead and reinstall XP as suggested earlier, and if so could I trouble you for some info on how to do this?

Many thanks……. A friend in need is a pain in the ass……….

Cheers!

Have to agree with ellas here.

I should point out as well, if you have resigned yourself to a fresh install, and have all you need backed up, then it makes no difference what you do to system files. You can only at worst make the machine refuse to boot into windows, at which point you insert the cd and go with the install.

You never know, it may be a good chance to learn about what affects what.

Mr. M.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear,

What a headache!

Turns out I reinstalled XP but could not get everything working -- including my bloody modem so I have been offline for a week or so!

I saw an old techy friend of mine by chance, and he came around to look at my pc. He reinstalled everything but when he tried to go online, it activated a worm / trojan which was going to self destruct in 60 seconds -- it said. :censored:

Luckily he has some powerful worm software and got rid of it. He also told me to use AVG antivirus software from grisoft.com instead of Norton antivirus which seems to have failed me badly.

Has anyone heard of AVG? Is it any good etc?

Hi again, sorry to hear of your problems, but there is quite a lot of this happening at the moment if you have a look at some of the newer threads being made :( .

AVG seems to be fairly well thought of here on the Forum, if you have a look at the Security board, you will find quite a lot of information regarding this and many other free products. I should add though, that AVG seems to be having a problem with the automatic updates at the moment.

Regards. Mr. M.