No 3D acceleration

Hi,

I have a Nvidia geforce4 ti4200 graphics card, and seem to have lost the 3D graphics acceleration so games will not play. The graphics are not smooth when scrolling in Word etc, but 'blocky'.

DXDIAG window says I am only running the generic driver rather than the one that came with the hardware and 3D acceleration is no available. When I try to reinstall the driver there is no change.

Has anyone any ideas?

Hello Technophobe,

may I suggest that you download the latest drivers from Nvidia Download Here (I think these are the correct ones for your card, but you should verify this). I would then uninstall your current drivers so you are running on a basic windows driver, then after a reboot, try to install the latest drivers.

If this does not help, post back and we can take it from there.

It may be a good idea for you to make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed first (9.0b I think at the moment).

Regards. Mr. M.

:D Great minds eh Nellie and Boris :censored:

Mr M's link is OK if you've got XP or 2k.

If you've got 98/ME its version 53.04

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_53.04

Technophobe quotes he has XP home in his user profile. I checked before I posted, hence the fact you and Nellie beat me to it.

:ranting: :renske: :sadwalk: :sadwalk: :schmoll: :surrender: :surrender:

Mr. M.

Guest ellas

might be a ideal to run drivecleaner in safe mode http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Follow the steps below to rest the hardware acceleration on the Graphics Card. This should allow you to see and edit the 3D and nView settings. STEP 1: Right click on your open desktop screen Select Properties Select the Settings Tab Select the Advanced button Select the Performance Tab for Win98/ME Select the Troubleshooting Tab for Win2K/XP Move the slide bar located by Hardware Acceleration to None Click Apply Click OK Click OK Reboot the computer STEP 2: Right click on your open desktop screen Select Properties Select the Settings Tab Select the Advanced button Select the Performance Tab for Win98/ME Select the Troubleshooting Tab for Win2K/XP Move the slide bar located by Hardware Acceleration to Full Click Apply Click OK Click OK Reboot the computer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nellie, Boris Mr Invincible......

I have been away for a few days and just to let you know that although I tried uninstalling and re-installing the graphics card driver and direct X I still have the same problem.

Doh! I am at a loss.

DX DIAG gives the following ...................

The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Direct 3-D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

Direct draw acceleration: not available.

Direct 3-D acceleration: not available.

AGP texture acceleration: not available.

Anyone got any Ideas?

PS since the above, I now have lost my printer and digital camera because the USB port cannot communicate with them. Could these be connected or just coincidence?

Anyway I have tried uninstalling the drivers and re-installing them using the XP disk but they cannot be reinstalled. The wizard tells me to contact my hardware vendor. I am looking a fool as usual......... :unsure:

Please help the IT challenged.

Thanks in advance.....

Hi again Technophobe, I am having some iffy thoughts, but I don't want to worry you with them just yet. What is the make and model of your motherboard please?

Does the board have on board graphics? If so make sure that it IS turned off in the bios. Whilst in there, it may be worth checking to see that "enable legacy usb support" is also turned OFF.

I would suggest that you remove the graphics card from device manager, and instead of a reboot, close the pc down. At this point, open the pc, and physically remove and reseat the graphics card (check all other cards and connections while you are at it). When you reboot the pc, it should detect new hardware, at this point, when it asks for the driver location, point it to the generic windows display adaptor. You should only be able to run the card in a maximum of 800x600 mode and low number of colours. Now you can run the new driver install as downloaded from Nvidea.

Let us know if this has an effect.

Mr. M.

Oh! Mr Invincible,

I am a dope of the highest order. I have tried for ages to do as you say, but I can't seem to find the motherboard details, or uninstall the graphics card using Device Manager -- can't see an uninstall option. :(

I am feeling a bit foolish. I am at your mercy!

Can you enlighten me as regards these two points before i go mad?

Many thanks

Hi Technophobe,

right, I'm not sure if it is the same in XP, but in win2k, you go into device manager and open the Display Adapters section, then select the graphics card listed (by the way, what does windows report your card as being in this window?). You can now right click on it, and use the option to uninstall, or select the properties box, and under the driver tab, there is an option to uninstall the drivers.

If that does not work, then simply try highlighting the card, and pressing the delete key.

Once this is done, close down the pc and open the case and do as I requested in my last post. You will be able to find out the motherboard details from the markings actually written on the board. If you are not sure, post back everything you can see.

Some of the other things I asked you to check, are found in the bios. You will need to start tapping the "del" key (depending on your mobo, it may be the f2 or f12 keys) as you turn the computer on. This should take you into the bios. You will need to navigate using your arrow keys on the keyboard.

Mr. M.

Hi Boris / Mr M,

I have installed and run Everest ( really useful that, thanks) and the sumary is reproduced below (unfortunately I don't know how to captue and past the picture version, so this is text only!)

NB my USB ports aren't working either. If you need extra info let me know.

Thanks

Computer

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

OS Service Pack Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)

DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)

Computer Name HOMEPC

User Name Stephen

Motherboard

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1733 MHz (13 x 133) 2100+

Motherboard Name MSI KT3 Ultra2 (MS-6380E) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 3 DIMM, Audio)

Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8367 Apollo KT333

System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type AMI (07/10/02)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display

Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

Multimedia

Audio Adapter Creative Audigy Player Sound Card

Storage

IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive SAMSUNG SV8004H (80 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

Optical Drive ARTEC WRR-4848 (48x/12x/48x CD-RW)

Optical Drive Memorex DVD-MAXX 1648 AJ

Partitions

C: (FAT32) 73302 MB (55599 MB free)

D: (FAT32) 3021 MB (2111 MB free)

Input

Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network

Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (172.185.255.37)

Modem Intel® 536EP V.92 Modem

Peripherals

USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller

USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

USB Device Unknown Device

Hi again Technophobe,

Easy things first. To take a screenshot, all you need to do is press the print screen key on your keyboard, then open an image editing program and paste it in. Probably the easiest one to use, is simply "paint", which you should be able to find under accesories in your start menu.

Once pasted in, you can crop it to be a bit more user friendly, and don't forget that when you save it, it is best to select the .jpg option instead of the usual .bmp Bmp files will be too big to upload to the site.

You can also take a more precise capture by holding down the "alt" key when you press the print screen. This will then only take a picture of the active window on your desktop.

Now on to your other issue. I apologise, but I should have suggested using something like Everest earlier. I now suggest that you visit the MSI site and download the following drivers. Get the Via Hyperion 4 in 1 chipset drivers and the USB 2.0 patch (I see you already have XP service patch 1).

Install the 4 in 1 first, then the USB patch, then we shall see what happens with your graphics card.

Here is the link to the MSI download page

MSI Downloads

I suggest that you get the top dwnload, and then the last download. Be warned, MSI pages can sometimes be slow to load. You may also wish to follow some of the links on the page and get yourself the downloadable manual.

I also see that MSI are offering a slightly different download for the Nvidea graphics. If you still have problems with your card after the above, it may be worth a try with those.

MSI Nvidea Drivers

That should be enough to keep you going for a while, post back with the results please.

Mr. M.

Hello,

Back again like a bad cold. Or seeing as the kids have got tummy bugs, like a bad case of the squirts!

Anyway, I have updated my bios and reinstalled the graphics card which seems to be working ok at the moment.

USB ports still not working despite installing the patch.

my device manager says ............

USB Controllers:

--- ! ( BLACK / YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARK) USB Controller

--- unknown device

--- USB root hub

--- USB root hub

--- USB root hub

--- VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

I believe the exclamation mark means some problem or other but I am lost as usual. Any Ideas?

Many thanks,

Ankle deep in nappies!