• I will use it when its out of its Beta development stage
    • No - I don't use it at all

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clint

Its pretty stable now !

It still needs development tweaking to enable it to be a resident scanner, but the rest of the interface and updating is pretty sorted and the on-demand scanner for viruses,worms and trojans works fine !

I've been thinking about using it, Boris. I'm just a little apprehensive because it's still being developed. I use Norton AV 2002 and the freebie Sygate firewall at present. Would there be a conflict if I also used Gladiator, do you think? And what advantages would it offer over other AV software?

Pete

I use ZA free firewall plus PC-Cillin as my resident AV.

I just turn everything off and let GAV do a full scan of the H/D once a week - its more than just a pure AV as it can find trojans etc. that a normal AV might not pick up.

No conflicts if you run it this way + IMHO its quite stable enough to try now !

As a lowly "windows95" worth member of this forum I just thought I'd add in.

I've got both GAV and AVG running on my system along with Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

AVG is my primary antivirus and I have it running in the background almost all the time but I also run GAV once or twice a week as a backup and to look for trojans. (Adaware and Spybot may well come off soon as neither one seems happy and they keep reporting stuff I always clear out when cookie cleaning anyway.)

I don't think I've yet had any conflicts with GAV or AVG. Though I do have a very minor moan which I'll go and stick in the GAV forum.

no problems with conflicts with AVG, when running a GAV scan I often forget to turn off AVG resident- never  clashed yet

With my humble 350 cpu, I need to turn off main AV - when doing the GAV scan - not because of clashes (there aren't any) but for performance :D

what a waste, doesn't work for me.

checked out the faq and found this :

If your problems are any of the following:

1. "I'm unable to access any type of control or setting....I have a green icon, that's it. I cannot DO anything with said icon, nor is there anything in the folder it installed into that allows me to make any changes "

2. "I downloaded and installed the program, ran through setup without a hitch, started the program and got a cool little green icon that sits in the tray that does absolutely nothing. I cannot right-click on it, I cannot left-click on it...nada. "

If you run your system at 115% DPI or higher to make up for the higher res settings, and at 90 DPI you need a magnifying glass to see the screen we have no solution for you during this ALPHA PHASE of testing our Scanner.

To run Gladiator during this phase of the testing you must switch to 90 or 96 DPI Screen Settings.

You have to set this in the Windows Desktop Settings. (Right-click on your desktop and select "Properties," then select "Settings.")

Thank you for your participation.

:D Hi Guys!

I've been mega-busy but a recent post by Ellas got me to drop by.

Ah, the DPI problem again. In the past, when I ran a scan (on demand only) I had to reset my Windows Fonts to 90 dpi. I got a little warning box that some of my programs wouldn't run correctly but I had to shut off most of my stuff anyway when I did one. I then ran the scan and when it was all done, I reset my Windows Fonts again back to normal (96 dpi). This had solved the problem that I had had with it--namely hard-crashes after scans.

Now, GAV runs scans at 96 dpi so I do not have to change the font settings on my Windows Desktop anymore. I always make sure that my other AV is turned off/disabled before running GAV. Since I am on Win98se I cannot use the new RTM (which only does 2000/XP).

GAV is now, as most of you know, in Beta release. Michael/Gladiator has developed a new engine that will soon be available. It can scan for Polymorphic Viruses! He has also come up with a technique to reduce the size of the update files on download. That too will soon be available. (Soon means a matter of days. Maybe a week. Could be sooner.)

I do not run more than one AV at a time. Common sense. (I have two AV apps.)

Best regards from Larry :)

• 2 weeks later...