Sharing a Net connection

Sexy Lynx

Hey,

I want to share a BB connection between 4 computers, all of which run XP Pro - I'd also like to do this by using a router (I need to forward certain ports to allow for RD to be done from a single remote computer)

My question is - How hard is it to set-up a router and forward ports? And does anyone know of any guides on the internet?

Thanks

Hello Sexy Lynx, and welcome to the Forum.

Right, I'm glad that you have decided to go for a router for your sharing, it is definitely the correct thing to do. :D

Now as for your question, it really depends on exactly what it is you wish to do. If you are thinking about using the commercial home products such as the routers produced by linksys or netgear (for example), they come out of the box pretty much configured and ready to go. To enable port forwarding on this type of router simply involves a connection to it's built in web interface, where you just need to click a few buttons and input a few IP details.

The above type of product is ideal for home or small business use.

If, on the other-hand, you are thinking about the more robust proprietary models, such as those from Cisco, then this becomes a whole different ballgame. You will either need to know how to write your own configuration files (the easy bit) and your own ACL's (Access Control List, this is the hard bit, and is actually where a router gets it's security from), or know somebody who is competent to write them for you.

This sort of product is really aimed at the more experienced IT Professional working in a large corporate network.

Finally, what sort of guides would you be looking for? To set up the router, or to set up your network with the router in place?

If you can post a few more details regarding your current setup (are they already networked, what type of broadband, location of computers etc.) I shall see where I can point you.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

If you put router tutorial into google it comes up with loads of pages here, but I suppose you need to decide which make will suit you first. I have a Belkin one! :)

{edit - ignore me.... Mr M is talking a lot more sense than me as usual!!! :) Welcome to WF }

I should also add, that having just reread your initial post, you are seeking to allow port forwarding to enable a remote computer access (to what I would need to know) for RD.

It may be better for you to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) rather than simply open ports on your router. VPN's would offer you far greater security.

Mr. M.

Sexy Lynx, have to go out now. I shall try to check back later (alcohol consumption permitting), if nobody else has managed to help with your questions, I shall either post back later tonight, or sometime tomorrow.

Just to keep you going though, I have added some links to a few manufacturers below. I like the linksys products, although a lot of my colleagues swear by the netgear ones. I will also add that belkin have a very good name.

Linksys

Netgear

Belkin

Cisco Routers

Mr. M.

Thanks for the replies

I've looked into VPNs - TightVNC was something I was considering for some time, however, I've since learned that it can be slow over the internet (the entire point of this is so I can do these things over the internet and the Authentication is poor when compared to Windows - so I've decided to stick to RD and use the open ports method.

Basically, there's a LAN of 4 computers (XP Pro) that I want to be able to access from a single computer here (also XP Pro) - and to access a certain computer on the LAN, I'd need it to have a unique port.

I was just looking for general router set-up guides, I've never used one before

Edit: Didn't notice the replies - Thanks for all the answer so far Mr. M. it's great - and hello to Andy & Nellie

Hi again Sexy Lynx,

right as you already have the lan in place, it really should only be a 10 minute job.

Don't forget, if you are currently using an ADSL modem with a USB connection, you will either need to buy a router with a built in modem, or change your current modem for one with an ethernet output.

Next, all you need to do is plug the router into your network (either daisychain it off your current hub or switch, or use it to replace that entirely. Most home routers come with a built in 4 port switch, so if you have a hub, I would go down this route), and connect it to your ADSL connection. Turn on your pc's, and using one of them fire up your web browser and point it to the IP address for the internal connection of the router. By default this is usually 192.168.1.1

From here, the first thing to do is to change the default password for the router. Use the instruction manual for the relevant router to do this. Next you will need to input your connection details and passwords for the ADSL connection, again this will vary from device to device, so refer to the manual.

Now you will need to configure your pc's to use the router as a gateway. Most home routers run NAT (Network Address Translation), which means that you will use the private reserved IP Address range of 192.168.1.x for your internal pc's. The router will also run a DHCP server, but as you wish to forward traffic, you will need to statically assign IP Addresses to your machines. Check the manual to find which range it uses for DHCP (probably 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100) and then decide on which addresses outside this range you wish to use for your pc's. Give the relevant IP Addresses to your machines now, and check they can all "see" the internet. (If you are unsure how to do this, please say so and I will explain)

Now, depending on the router you decide to go for, all you have to do is set up the port forwarding. I have attached an example from my own Linksys router, but others may be different, although the principle is the same. All you need to do, is tell it which port number you would like forwarded to which IP Address. Simple as that :unsure:

The only real problem I can envisage, is that ADSL IP Addresses are not static (unless you are paying extra for the service), although in reality the address dosn't change very frequently, so you will need to have a way of informing the connecting machine what the IP Address of your router is each time you wish to make a connection. It should now be a case of the remote computer simply making a connection to the routers IP Address followed by the port number (in the form of "a.b.c.d:xyz" where a.b.c.d is the IP Address and xyz is the port number)

Regards. Mr. M.

post-55-1081119596.jpg

Hello to Christmascracker and trackrat - and while I'm here, hello to you Mr. Invincible Mouse!

Thanks a lot for all the advice - it makes sense, I shall have a look at the routers on offer, and give it a go

I shall post back if I encounter any further problems!

Big Thanks for all of your advice though Mr.Mouse