Dual Boot Windows 98 and Windows XP - Part 4

Chris

9.jpg

[image 2.9]

Setup will now examine your disks. [see Image 2.9]

10.jpg

[image 3.0]

Now files should be copied to the Windows XP installation folders. [see Image 3.0]

11.jpg

[image 3.1]

Setup will now initialize your Windows XP configuration. [see Image 3.1]

12.jpg

[image 3.2]

Your computer will now be restarted in 15 seconds however by pressing Enter you can force a restart. [see Image 3.2] Windows XP should then start to install...

See: Installing Windows XP Home Edition - Part 1

13.jpg

[image 3.3]

When Windows XP has been installed you should be given the choice to either start Windows XP or Windows 98.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - Will start Windows XP

Microsoft Windows - Will start Windows 98

You should now be dual booting. [see Image 3.3]

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Drovers Dog

:P

Having a Win98SE/XP Home System, I must ask? Powerless, have you actually set up a Computer this way?

I am really interested, Win98SE is a very different System to XP!

When I Partitioned my HDD, I created 5 Partitions, so that any Information I really needed could be stored in a place not affected by reformats! All those Partitions were created under fdisk from the Win98SE Start up Disk, and formated, each one, before anything else!

To keep it all compatible, When I installed XP Home, I used Fat32, the same System that Win98SE uses!!

I admit I had a few problems at first, but these turned out to be Hardware related!

Which meant a few reinstalls, during which my current HDD, at the time, carked itself! (Blew up) I lost heaps of Data, not saved elsewhere!

Now the Systems are up and running, it is really great, but be warned!!!! Save every thing, to CD's or another HDD!! Before you even try to do it!

Just remember you have to set up the whole System to the oldest version of Windows first, then the newer ones can over write that! You can never under write a Windows System!

:wub: :D

Guest Drovers Dog

The reason to ask, I used Win98SE on the Net, but wouldn't allow anyone to use XP Home at first!

When I went on the Net with XP Home I noticed it!

Guest Drovers Dog

BTW a Link from Pit Stop regarding my System, if you click on Drives you can see the five Partitions I set up!

http://www.pcpitstop.com/TechExpress.asp?id=NUY0AWKK7TUSB6XE

The reason for the problem with the Net is I am on Dial up!

My XP Home is on D:/Drive!

The Test was done under XP Home, aka D:/Drive!

I can Post one under Win98SE, aka C:/ ?

Guest Drovers Dog

Ok, Just needed to know?

I find that the Win98SE System has heaps of conflicts on line!!

But enables one to do different things, that later becomes a Pain, because the IP Address is not the right one?

JMHO!

I did beta testing for XP so I was dual booting 98SE and whatever XP was called at the time because that was the way things had to be. You couldn't just have the new trial system there without an "official" system to fall back on.

As soon as XP was properly launched, my machine was reformatted with XP only and I've never looked back.

I can only think of one reason to have an obsolescent system on a new(ish) machine and that is to be able to use obsolete/obsolescent hardware/software but, as that must be now due for its museum case, XP ought to be the only O/S that is even considered for use - unless of course you go for one of the less common systems.

Excellent guide though, yet again, powerless!!

Haven't read it all yet, but would it be complicated to add Win 98 to already dual-boot XP Pro and Mandrake 10?

Installing 98 after XP is hard enough. Good luck doing it with Mandrake on there as well! :D

Maybe try Partiton Magic? There is an option to "install another operating system" in the tools or something like that. I've never done it, so I can't recomend it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy