Chris

What Type of Rechargeable?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of Rechargeable?

• I do not know
    • NiMH [Nickel-Metal Hydride]
    • NiCad [nickel-cadmium]
    • Other [Specify]

Well I was just thinking I use Rechargeables on my digital camera and my mouse they take 24Hours to charge and don't last very long as I've had them for a few years and as they are NiCads suffer from a memory problem.

So time for some new NiMH's I think :D

For Anne's PowerTrike/wheel chair we have just taken delivery of a battery pack of 3 off 12 volt 12 amp-hour NiMH units. Should last a bit. Also have just taken delivery of 2 off 12 volt/12 amp-hour lead acid units for her electric buggy. Got these from www.squadronbatteries.com. Delivered in just 24 hours at a total price of £34. May be able to claim the VAT back becuse of disability. Squadron seem to cover a very wide range of batteries.

Ni-Mh are definitely superior as they don't suffer loss of memory. I still have some Ni-cads because I just have a horror of throwing things away. I was not looking a couple of weeks ago when I charged some of these up for the camera. They were flat in three days without even using the camera. Ni-Mh will stay charged for several weeks.

Just one to had to your above as all seem to be chipping in, something different on battery's. This is one I use other than the above I bought a Car power pack boost starter, you will have all seen them some have compressor built in but not mine, a year old, I have now bought a 300 Watt inverter, and my Laptop Works fine from it , so it another way other than using the Laptop Battery that I stored in the Fridge in a polythene bag, they are £155 a throw so I am keeping that as is New.

PS the Inverter is just 150 watt from cigarette lighter but 300 if connected direct to battery.

I use NiCad for some things, but they don't last long.

Can you recharge NIMH batteries in the same charger as the NiCad? or do you need a different type?

Better to get another charger if yours dose not have two different settings.

Well mine is a TRUST  mouse, I use 2x 1.2v AAA NiMH 750mAh batteries and they only last four days. I have a UNiRoss 5hr quick charger. Keyboard is ok with ordinary batteries it's been going 6 months to date. :(

I have a TRUST wireless mouse and wireless keyboard set. Normal commercial batteries last for ages.

I use NiMH but one problem is that they may lose charge even if you dont use it (if you leave it sitting for an extended period). If you regularly use your camera you wont suffer from this, but if you dont, then you should always plan a few hours or more ahead to charge them or check their charge.

I use NiMH but one problem is that they may lose charge even if you dont use it (if you leave it sitting for an extended period). If you regularly use your camera you wont suffer from this, but if you dont, then you should always plan a few hours or more ahead to charge them or check their charge.

Sound common sense. I find they usually start to show signs of being almost flat after about three weeks.