St George

Guest Nellie2

Guest Nellie2

Happy St George's day to all us of english descent :)

Personally my ancestors were raped and pilliaged by all sorts.....vikings, normans etc.... so I tend to think of myself as British rather than English but we don't have a patron saint of Britain do we?

post-1-1051081232_thumb.jpg

Did you notice that Nellie had the cheek to say that St George's day was for the BRITISH, not ENGLISH.

No she didn't, Andsome. She said

Happy St Georges day to all us of english descent

(she missed out the apostrophe, though).

Anyway, Happy St George's day, Andsome. ;) And to everyone else, too. ;)

As with most saints, myth and legend surrounds St George and of how a Roman soldier came to be regarded as the essence of England.

He is most famously known as the brave slayer of the dragon and saviour of the maiden but, although this story exists in a number of different medieval texts and art, it has no historical basis.

There is very little information about the life St George, but it is known that he was not English.

He is thought to have been an early Christian martyr from the area of modern day Turkey, who was executed in Palestine in the third century.

Legends about his valorous deeds as a soldier-saint began in the 6th century and by the 12th century the famous story about his rescuing a king's daughter and slaying a dragon had become widespread.

St George

Some experts think the tale is based on the Greek myth of Perseus rescuing Andromeda from a sea monster.

St George was popularised in England by Crusaders, Christian knights returning from religious wars in the Middle East.

He was supposed to have appeared to the Knights dressed in white robes decorated with a red cross during the 11th century siege of Antioch.

He became the official patron saint of England in 1425 after Henry V's victory at the Battle of Agincourt.

The Red Cross of St George is England's national flag and it also forms part of Britain's Union Jack.

However, the English are not the only people to stake a claim in St George.

In the Middle East, Christians invoke his powers to help exorcise demons.

In many countries St George is associated with fertility and his day marks the very beginning of summer.

In Lithuania he is revered as the guardian of animals and in parts of Spain St George's day is celebrated with feasts and gift giving.

Somewhat ironic ?

Maybe we could all eat a celebratory (quintessentially "english") "spag bog"in his honour........

arf arf

Guest Cookie

I'm on the same lines as Andsome here.

Ask a Scotsman, Welshman or Irishman what they are and they'll say Scottish, Welsh or Irish. I have no problem with that but why is an Englishman always referred to as British.

I'm British by Birth but English by the Grace of God. :P :D :lol:

Come on now Nellie play the game. Those who saw your posting some time after I made mine must wonder what I was on about. For the benefit of these people nellie had the cheek to wish a happy St George's day to all BRITS. Now that she is a moderator she can go back and change her postings when she knows that she has dropped a clanger. Just because you look gorgeous in your new frock Nellie, doesn't mean that you can cheat.

WOMEN

we can all change our own post andsome. Just press 'edit' on the post you want to change!..........its the quickest way to make somelook stoooopid!!! :lol:

(not that Im saying nellie made you look stupid, but its a feature I like using on a certain laughing boy!) :lol: :P

Ask a Scotsman, Welshman or Irishman what they are and they'll say Scottish, Welsh or Irish. I have no problem with that but why is an Englishman always referred to as British.

Cookie, probably the same reasoning the BBC use,when a Englishman/team do well they are English, but if it's a scots, Welsh Ulster team/person they become British, also if there is any hooliganism from English football fans they become British but the other home countries are identified as a individual nation(eg:Scottish) and not collective(British) The BBC and even the ITV commentators/reporters probably have more to do with some of the divide in the British Isles today as any other reason.

PS I am Scottish, you probably know this already, but I am also proud to be BRITISH (United we stand :) Divided we fall :angry:

Quite right, Ranger. I've noticed the BBC and ITV reporters and commentators making such errors. Is it deliberate, I wonder. Only this evening they referred to Celtic - after their win - as carrying British (not Scottish) hopes in Europe. And I agree that such reporting can really annoy people and be counter-productive toward the concept of "Britishness".

Pete

PS But with a user name like Ranger, I don't suppose you give a toss about Celtic in Europe. ;)

Peter E, I have to admit, you're right, I don't give a toss about C***** in Europe, only that we (Rangers FC) are going to gub them on Sunday and take a giant leap forward to being back where we belong as top dog in Scotland and SPL champions and the possibility of the treble :D

Ye may very well be correct in saying that “yer lot” will be winning the treble ranger lad but the Boyo’s achievement in getting to a European final is a grand achievement…………..better still when they win it. :D

Now isn’t that a fine way to make me very first post in this forum (well almost, Mr M was brill in helping me with a wee Networking problem earlier tonight)………roots from across the water as ye may guess, just popped in to say hi……………..I’m sure meself and ranger will be having a bit of craic from time to time… :P ………….huge Leeds fan really but being an oirish catholic, say no more as far as the teams in bonny Glasgow are concerned.

Guest Cookie

Yes Ranger, I can remember when the English Football Team got knocked out of the World Cup and Scotland were doing well, suddenly they became the British hopes. B loody annoying, even to me.

United we stand? No, personally I believe that the Scots and Welsh would do better on their own.

Anyway, the thing that really peed me off a cou0le of years back, when applying for a passport, I wrote in English next to Nationality. The post office clerk said 'You have to put European'. There is no such thing as a European Nationality but 'That's the rules' she said.

Funny that, because on further questioning I was told it's acceptable to write in Scottish or Welsh as a Nationality.

And as for football...... Rangers, Celtic, Man U. Spurs etc. I have no interest in football.

United we stand? Maybe we should have a British Team in the next World Cup. Problem is all the best players are Scottish. :(

I wrote in English next to Nationality. The post office clerk said 'You have to put European'. There is no such thing as a European Nationality but 'That's the rules' she said.

Cookie, I remember reading about this a while back, but thought it was binned because there was such a uproar about it, anyone know if it was changed?

I don't think a British team would work in football (it's too tribal) and so I don't think it will happen, as for Scotland having all the best players, as AndyH says "you have a fine sense of humour" The Scottish team for the last few years has been shocking (I blame Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown) The only "world class" player we have is Barry Ferguson (I would have included Paul Lambert in this, but he is now past his best, IMHO)

AndyH, I have to agree with you, it is a fine achievment Celtic reaching the UEFA Cup Final, still think I would rather win the treble though (more games played = bigger achievment) now if Celtic win the UEFA cup and the SPL I would say they have had the bigger achievment and my world will fall to pieces :rolleyes:

ps: sorry if we have hijacked the thread a bit by talking about football