Sharing Broadband

trackrat

or ICS, but that requires a direct connection, usually achieved through use of a cross-over cable.

Could you elaborate on your staement a bit more please Scarecrow Man, how would you go about setting up a crossover cable.

What ports would be needed, do i need 2 lan ports on the one machine.

If yuor computers are close to each other you can join them together by having a LAN card in each and using an ethernet crossover lead between these cards. You will have one of these computers (which is commonly called the gateway computer) connected to your broadband modem. This is also likely to be connected via an ethernet lead, in which case yes you would need two LAN cards in this gateway. Hope this helps. Post back more specific details about your setup and what you want from it.

Just out of interest I have a gateway computer that shares its broadband connection with three others through a switched hub.

I am just putting a shuttle together to experiment with Linux and I want to connect it to my broadband connection which is currently on my main machine.

Both machines will have an ethernet port.

Do I need to add a LAN card to the XP machine and use a crossover cable to connect them.? :(

So you'll need an extra LAN card in your gateway. A switched hub takes the networked LAN connection from the gateway, replacing the crossover lead in your setup. The hub is capable of sending this information (which can be from the internet) to four other computers. Thus the small network can have shared resources, printers, files etc.

That's the theory but the practice is far more fun. :P :P :P