WinZip 10

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

Introducing WinZip 10.0 Standard and Professional (Beta)

We're very pleased to announce that WinZip 10.0 is ready for its first public beta test, and we need your help. Our engineers have been hard at work, developing new features that will help make your job just a little bit easier. Did they hit the mark? You tell us – we're listening. Learn more and download WinZip 10.0 Beta now at http://www.winzip.com/betawz.cgi

Caution, WinZip 10.0 is not a free upgrade. If you are a registered user of a previous version of WinZip and install WinZip 10.0, you will no longer be registered. If you have a multi-user license and you wish to try WinZip 10.0, make sure you save a backup copy of your current WinZip before installing WinZip 10.0, so you can go back to your previous registered version of WinZip, if you so desire. You do not need to uninstall your older, registered version of WinZip. You can install this version of WinZip to the same location as a previously installed copy of WinZip.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm scared of ZIP files ever since I was caught many years ago by one file containing a very persistent nasty thing.

I avoid ZIP files and if there is an alternative format, I will use that. If there is no alternative I think VERY carefully whether I really need whatever is contained in the file. More often than not, I don't need it so it passes in the night.

I most certainly never pay for an ZIP facility. As andsome says, there is one integral to XP which suits most people.

I have used WinZip for more than 10 years (I still have my original version on floppy!), and I never have had any troubles with it, or any of the new versions.

I do need WinZip to compress files to send via email, or to upload to FTP servers. (Many company mail servers refuse attachments such as executables, scripts, etc.)

I also use WinZip to decompress ZIP files, but Win XP can do that as well, as Mr. andsome noted.

I also use it to super-compress large files before archiving.

There are alternatives, e.g. the Unix GZ format. There is a free utility for Windows: WinGzip.

I have used WinZip for more than 10 years (I still have my original version on floppy!), and I never have had any troubles with it, or any of the new versions.

I do need WinZip to compress files to send via email, or to upload to FTP servers. (Many company mail servers refuse attachments such as executables, scripts, etc.)

I also use WinZip to decompress ZIP files, but Win XP can do that as well, as Mr. andsome noted.

I also use it to super-compress large files before archiving.

There are alternatives, e.g. the Unix GZ format. There is a free utility for Windows: WinGzip.

YES, but how do you personally rate Windows XP Zip facility, and do you personally think that it is worth paying for a similar facility, and if so, WHY.

I'm scared of ZIP files ever since I was caught many years ago by one file containing a very persistent nasty thing

My anti-virus package can scan for malware in zipped files and if a zip file contains a virus and I happen to open it, I am confident that either my McAfee anti-virus or a-squared will deal with it.

I most certainly never pay for an ZIP facility. As andsome says, there is one integral to XP which suits most people

I agree with both of you. I normally use the ZIP feature integral to XP as well and don't see the need for upgrading to a version that you have to pay for.

YES, but how do you personally rate Windows XP Zip facility, and do you personally think that it is worth paying for a similar facility, and if so, WHY.

Since I had WinZip since Windows 95, I have never used the XP Zip facility. In fact I didn't even know until right now that you can actually create zipped files with XP.

WinZip gives me a number of options when creating a compressed ZIP file, e.g. compression rate or to include path information. I can even password-protect the ZIP file, which can be very useful.

Regarding Gzip and WinGzip - they can only compress a single file at a time, whereas WinZip can compress an unlimited number of files into one ZIP file.

It's not WinZip per se that I scared of, it's the whole idea of files in a ZIP format. It's a case of once bitten twice shy. My problem with ZIP files was in the days of W95 and, although my virus checker may well look at the file, I still pretty wary about the whole thing.

I'm not missing out on much nowadays by not using these file compression facilities. I think the idea of them originally was to reduce the size of files in the days of slow modem speeds and small computer capacity. Now both of those are things of the past, the need for file compression like that offered by zipping is much reduced.

It's not WinZip per se that I scared of, it's the whole idea of files in a ZIP format. It's a case of once bitten twice shy. My problem with ZIP files was in the days of W95 and, although my virus checker may well look at the file, I still pretty wary about the whole thing.

I'm not missing out on much nowadays by not using these file compression facilities. I think the idea of them originally was to reduce the size of files in the days of slow modem speeds and small computer capacity. Now both of those are things of the past, the need for file compression like that offered by zipping is much reduced.

I have unzipped the odd VERY rare zip file, but cannot remember ever having zipped a file since I was asked to zip a virus to send to Command Anti Virus, some years ago.

Very good point and I never thought of that.

Most people now have broadband and a hard drive size that is probably a lot bigger then the ones you used to use back then.

• 4 weeks later...

WinZip 10 is now released - not that there was too much interest here in this forum... :)

But alas, it is the first time that an upgrade is not free:

• Upgrade to WinZip 10 Standard: USD 14.95
  • Upgrade to WinZip 10 Pro: USD 24.95
  • New WinZip 10 Standard: USD 29.95
  • New WinZip 10 Pro: USD 49.95

I think for once I pass and reinstall WinZip 9.

Why clutter your computer with software, surely the zip facility in Windows XP can do all that you require.

I have never used the Windows Zip facility. WinZip can produce high-compression files, which can be very useful when making things available for download. It also allows making self-extracting EXE files.

But I have to agree that there is much less need for WinZip now than it was in 1995.

:flowers: And this, by the way, was my 1000th post in this forum :flowers:

Ok, I tried to use the Win XP Zip facility, but so far I have not been able to achieve anything.

1. Try to zip up a folder
    Right-click on the folder name; there is no 'Send to' option.
  2. Try to zip up a single document
    Right-click on a document; there is no 'Send to compressed folder' option (only Send to Desktop, CD-ROM drive, Mail recipient, My Documents, 3½ Floppy).
  3. Try to zip up multiple documents
    Same as with a single document.

So how do I activate it?

Edit and run spellchecker.

There is a seemingly comprehensive section on file compression in the XP Help and Support Center.

Just type "compression" into the search box.

As intimated earlier, though, I can't remember when I last opened a ZIP file and I've most certainly never created one - even in the days when 32MB hard drives and 5¼ inch floppy disks were the norm.

There is a seemingly comprehensive section on file compression in the XP Help and Support Center.

Just type "compression" into the search box.

Ah, that is also something I never got to work on my XP system. Looking at the task manager I can see that it opens up something 'helpctr.exe' and 'helpsvc.exe'. 'helpctr.exe' immediately disappears, 'helpsvc.exe' remains for a few seconds, then also goes AWOL.

Ok, I tried to use the Win XP Zip facility, but so far I have not been able to achieve anything.
  1. Try to zip up a folder
    Right-click on the folder name; there is no 'Send to' option.

2. Try to zip up a single document
    Right-click on a document; there is no 'Send to compressed folder' option (only Send to Desktop, CD-ROM drive, Mail recipient, My Documents, 3½ Floppy).

3. Try to zip up multiple documents
    Same as with a single document.

So how do I activate it?

Edit and run spellchecker.

I just tried it out and it worked perfectly. I right clicked a folder and selected 'Send to a zipped folder', the zipped folder immediately appeared. I right clicked on that and selected 'Send to mail recipient.

Here is the result