Microsoft Office Professional Enterprise Edition 12

Scarecrow Man

Yes that's right. I have the BETA 1 of Office 12. I will be doing some work with it during the next few weeks, and working on posting a review for it. So far, install is nice. :D I will be updating this thread as I learn more.

Here's some pics for a teaser... :P

First impression... :ranting: :censored: A new interface to learn! :huh:

post-1058-1132612578_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132612585_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132612598_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132627603_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132627631_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132627665_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132628215_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132628300_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1132628357_thumb.jpg

Yes that's right. I have the BETA 1 of Office 12. I will be doing some work with it during the next few weeks, and working on posting a review for it. So far, install is nice. :D I will be updating this thread as I learn more.

Here's some pics for a teaser... :P

First impression... :ranting: :censored: A new interface to learn! :huh:

Yes, I got that sucker installed. Found it too slow, too buggy, and too bloating. Gone now ;)

It's all very well tarting up a tired old program with a few "improvement" add-ons and a new face but, is it worth whatever (large) sum of money that it will undoubtedly cost? Is it worth the changeover and learning a new interface to be able to use it?

Is Bill Gates launching this to compete with the popularity of OpenOffice? If he is, there is a long way to go on the pricing - whatever that eventually turns out to be - and it won't be cheap.

It's all very well tarting up a tired old program with a few "improvement" add-ons and a new face but, is it worth whatever (large) sum of money that it will undoubtedly cost? Is it worth the changeover and learning a new interface to be able to use it?

Is Bill Gates launching this to compete with the popularity of OpenOffice? If he is, there is a long way to go on the pricing - whatever that eventually turns out to be - and it won't be cheap.

Correct... All of it...

Gates must be competing with the OpenOffice line-up, which is quite good by the way. I have used OpenOffice, as well as MS Office from 97 through 2003. I have not had much experience with OpenOffice 2.0, but 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 were very good, and you cannot go wrong with the price tag it had.

I doubt there will be anything "new" in the new version of Office, though everything I am sure is getting a revamping.

I still feel that Office 2003 or Office 12 are designed for the business user. SOHO and Corporate users will get the most out of this program, but for the average user making a graph, or typing an essay, go OpenOffice. It is much cheaper and provides most, if not all the same functionality and the price tag cannot be beat. How ever you say it in your language, 0 sounds so nice...

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx

I see no need to pay lots of cash to update MS Ofice, I am quite happy with Wordperfect Office which I have always used (now V12) and Open Office which also allows me to produce pdf documents.

Microsoft will end up pricing themselves out of the 'Home Small Business' market with their ever increasing prices.

Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003 English 1pk OEI w/ SP1 $ 225,00

and

MS Windows XP PRO around 180 $ ...

My computer is cheaper than that...

It's a freaking text editor ... With some nice features, but it costs way too much ... And that is not the final end-user price tag... So why should I buy that instead of Open Office which is free as i can tell (and I would buy it if it weren't free and a lot cheaper) ???

I doubt that even the biggest companies may wish to upgrade to it ...

And those nice colors don't fool anyone when they hear the price ...

So why should I buy that instead of Open Office which is free as i can tell (and I would buy it if it weren't free and a lot cheaper) ???

Indeed! The things in the M$ product that you don't get in Open Office are so obscure that it is unlikely that you would ever need them.

However, look at this http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=5335

I hope the above is open for public access. I used to have to sign in on my son's name and password but that seems to have changed now.

What an exorbitant (sp?) price tag! :censored:

As as been posted, for most, Word 2000 is plenty fine! I've been hauling its install CD around for years - if I change machines - no problem. Or even 2003 - it has way more than even my SOHO can really utilize.

OpenOffice is great, and even if it weren't, I would never spend that kind of money on MS WP products. What is Bill Gates smoking, besides his money laced with something or other?

I am still resisting even XP. I dislike needing permission from the mothership to reinstall my OS or software.

The more proprietary the software becomes, the further I distance myself from it. :ranting:

Whew! I feel better now............... B)

Just a few things to point out here:

1) OpenOffice is free. It's available at http://www.openoffice.org

2) MS supporting an open document standard is going to revolutionize the way we view office applications now. Look for OOo becoming the new standard.

3) OOo 2.0 is better then ever! It even has Base, a database program similar to Access in look and feel that fully integrates with MySQL!

andsome, give it a try. It's different to the M$ product but not too much so.

If you do download it, be careful NOT to set it as the default office program (you are told about this during installation).

andsome, give it a try. It's different to the M$ product but not too much so.

If you do download it, be careful NOT to set it as the default office program (you are told about this during installation).

I'll have a look at it tonight, just going out to play indoor bowls.

I have downloaded and installed it, but don't really think that it is the right program for me. I use Office mainly for letters etc, which this will do just as well. I also make all my own greetings cards, and cannot see how to do this on Open Office. Hence my query about Publisher. I am perfectly satisfied with Office 2000. I will now uninstall the program. It was worth a look.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have had some time to review this program now, and I am going to post a report I have compiled using Office BETA 12.**

Pros:

Ease of use. This version of Office is easier to use than anything else I have seen. The excellent use of tabs makes editing, reviewing, and writing much easier.

Charts

Charts are easy to create and modify.

Cons:

The tabs..

Yes they sometimes get tedius and you find yourself switching back and forth between two tabs to format everything the right way.

DOCX format

To save as a compatible format, you must save in office 97/xp/2003 compatiblity mode, which will loose some formatting. I avoided this by printing to a PDF.

Overall impression:

8 / 10

Reasons:

I cannot uninstall. The installer has corrupted somehow, and I am unable to remove it now (hence the BETA risks)

I love the new interface. Everything is clean and organized, and at my finger tips.

Final Though:

Sitck with Office 2003 for now. When Office 12 is released, and your software licence is up, maybe consider looking at this option. For those who feel the price tag is too steep, OpenOffice is an EXCELLENT alternative!

**See Attached File(s) for a sample report I have made.

Case_Study_Report.pdf