Pay off your mortgage early..Then why..

Tankus

Desperate patients on NHS waiting lists for donor organs are now booking surgical holidays in India , where they can buy organs (kidneys etc) from live and equally desperate donors ,who need the money to feed their families.........................

I read a Sci-Fi paperback around 15 years ago (from a UK author ,but I cannot remember his name ..sorry!) called Body Mortgage......Where people were taking out loans on various body parts ,with those organs, or parts to be given up , on maturity of repayment on the loan ,10~15 years hence......

(mort=death ?)It sort of brings a new meaning to debt collection.....which the story was about.!

It does not seem to much like SciFi now.......!

A leading Doctor wants to allow people to sell their body parts (while still alive) in this country, to prevent this surgical tourism to the third world ....

Should we get rid of our donor cards ....If the doctor operating on you see's your body as a potential income source.......

Hmmm.....

Guest ellas

does anyone carry a donor card,if I remember a few years ago there was a uproar about people carrying donor cards having there organs whipped out before they were clinical dead,I don't carry one so how many people do.

As far as I'm concerned they can do what they want with my body when I'm dead, my wife and family know my views on this, but I cannot help thinking that to actually sign a card is tempting providence. I am not superstitious about anything else at all, only this.

The rich west using the poor overpopulated 3rd world as an unlimited pool of body parts is what makes me think........Poaching humans next....?

On holiday......Have a drink...leave a glass , somebody uses a portable DNA matcher on your saliva residue....They get a match with a rich patient in need (In the USA ,its a global market).......Follow you back to the hotel..and do the dirty deed............

We are now on the first steps !

The book was about mercenary surgeons, in the 2030,s....................All linked by PDA's to the internet looking around for DNA matches .....It had become a bigger business than drugs ,as the operations could be done on the black market if you had the cash...Life is cheap in the 3rd world...Big profit margins....

Plus there were a lot more degenerative diseases around in the west caused by the consumption of genetically manipulated foods ,increasing the need for a larger source of organs......

Guest Nellie2

I carry a donor card and will continue to do so.......I also give blood. My thoughts on this......... well if I or any of my family needed a transplant then I would be relying on someone else to carry a donor card or give blood etc........ I can't expect someone else to do something that I am not prepared to do myself!

Surgical tourism in the 3rd world is now a reality.....(If somebody told you 5 years ago ,patients were going to India for transplants of organs bought from living donors. would you have believed them ?)......

.........I was wondering where its going to lead too ?

The other possible medical cash cow in the near future ,could be a trade in stem cells (derived from foetal abortions)......A number neural research scientists are concerned that we are on the threshold of an increase in degenerative brain diseases caused by BSE consumption (10~15 year dormancy) and possible

dopamine deficiencies (causing effects similar to Parkinson's disease) from extended ecstasy dependency..

Foetal cell experimentation is now illegal in the US ,but still allowed in the UK and Switzerland in limited applications ,but it may prove key in allowing damaged parts of the brain to recover...........

Brains were being removed from people who died in hospital ,without the relatives consent...!.......abortions being sold on ?.......................

Are we cloning humans..............?

The wealthy purchase a surrogate mother to carry a clone of themselves when they are in their middle 30's

have the clone lobotomised or genetically altered to have minimal brain functions , and then use that as a genetically matched resource base for organ replacement.....?

Far fetched....?

I wonder.................

• 4 weeks later...

On channel 4 news tonight........

"All we did was change the odds from a one-in-four chance of a tissue match to a 98 per cent chance" - Jayson Whitaker

British couple have 'designer' baby

13.35PM BST, 19 Jun 2003

A genetic "designer" baby has been born to a British couple trying to cure their other son's rare form of anaemia.

Jamie Whitaker's genes were matched to his four-year-old brother Charlie while he was still an IVF embryo.

Charlie, who suffers Diamond Blackfan anaemia, can only be successfully treated with transplant of stem cells from a sibling with a perfect tissue match.

Jamie was born by Caesarian section at Sheffield's Royal Hallamshire Hospital on Monday and it is thought there will be a 98 per cent chance the brothers' genes will be compatible.

Their parents, Jayson and Michelle Whitaker, had to travel to the Reproductive Genetics Institute in Chicago for treatment after being refused permission to genetically select a tissue match embryo by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA).

Mr Whitaker, 33, a business manager who has recently moved his family from Oxfordshire to a Derbyshire village, said: "All we did was change the odds from a one-in-four chance of a tissue match to a 98 per cent chance.

"There was no selection on the basis of colour of eyes or hair or sex.

"There are blood tests being carried out now to see if Jamie is a perfect tissue match and we will know in a few days, but at the moment we don't want to think about the stem cell blood."

The vital stem cells have already been collected from Jamie's umbilical cord and tests will also be carried out to determine if the new baby has the same anaemia condition as his brother.

The HFEA defended its decision not to allow treatment.

A spokeswoman said: "We have to look at the benefit for the embryo, not just the sibling.

"Perhaps some day in the future our policy will change.

"But at the moment we have to be quite strict in the way we issue licences, on a case-by-case basis, and looking at the scientific, medical, and moral issues before making any decision.

"There is clear guidance. HFEA policy states that women are allowed to have treatment only for the benefit of the embryo. It is a tough decision to make."

But Dr Mohammed Taranissi, of the Assisted Reproduction and Gynaecology Unit in London, who worked with the Whitakers, said the HFEA had been wrong to ban them from treatment.

"We have a life-threatening condition here and if there is anything we can do to help in this kind of situation, I don't see any ethical problem with that," he said.

"The Whitakers always had the intention of having another child. All they are doing is trying to make their family complete and if the next child can be of any help to the seriously affected child, so be it."

Illegal in this country , the couple went to the States to get inseminated.......

If the cell transplant fails the younger brother will always have to be there, if an organ fails.......

He was born specifically for that purpose......!

Is the previous discussion that far fetched....?

• 5 months later...

The Sunday Times

November 30, 2003

A BRITISH woman has offered to sell her kidney for £85,000 to raise money for a new home.

An advertisement for the kidney was placed on an internet discussion group. The 33-year-old from Devon negotiated the organ sale last week with an undercover reporter at a hotel near Heathrow.

The woman is part of the growing international trade in organs. Previously, attention has focused on the exploitation of impoverished Indians and Africans who have sold body parts to rich westerners.

Oh boy , Not such a fictional title for this post was it ?

Would it be ok if I merely loaned one of my organs out :rolleyes:

If I charged by the inch, I'd be a millionaire this time next year  B)

What organ would that be? :huh: The intestine (for length) is probably your best asset.....................

:lol: B)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
The Sunday Times

November 30, 2003

A BRITISH woman has offered to sell her kidney for £85,000 to raise money for a new home.

An advertisement for the kidney was placed on an internet discussion group. The 33-year-old from Devon negotiated the organ sale last week with an undercover reporter at a hotel near Heathrow.

The woman is part of the growing international trade in organs. Previously, attention has focused on the exploitation of impoverished Indians and Africans who have sold body parts to rich westerners.

Oh boy , Not such a fictional title for this post was it ?

silly woman shouldn't have to sell her bits just rent them out.

but perhaps shes ugly. :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

arf ......I jus lurved coloured text in those days ....!

...Stolen body parts implanted in NHS patients.....

an' looks like its not just that its this thread thats been dug up .......!

How long before live bodies get robbed

Couple more years , and your going to have to be very carefull where you leave your DNA

We are heading towards a national DNA database (possibly a worlds first) , and knowing the governments habit of getting a bit of cash on the side , details sold off ...? along with addresses !

Chinese criminal exections are alredy being stripped whole .....that book may not have been a work of fiction