Another one goes under

catgate

I think you will find that there are far more foreign companies owned by British Groups than the other way round. British investors own a great number of companies and institutions in the USA for instance - not to mention our investments in Africa, Australasia the Middle and Far East.

Is there an online source containing this sort of information, do you know? Every time I see anything about take-overs etc it seems as though it is all going away. We seem to have foreign owned utilities, motor car manufacture and engineering, steel production, shipping, etc. I saw something recently about a foreign interest in taking over the last bit of mining. It seems as though these things are bought and, where necessary, are reduced or closed down to protect foreign industry. I know Lord Hanson was operating a number of US companies under the Britsh flag some years ago, but I am not sure where they stand now.

It seems to be mainly in UK manufacturing that this happens.

Yes, it is.

And this is the worry. If, because of cheaper costs, the manufacturing is taken abroad by foreign-owned companies all we will be left with are service industries, finance, insurance and so on and as a trading nation we will decline.

Thos. :(

And this is the worry. If, because of cheaper costs, the manufacturing is taken abroad by foreign-owned companies all we will be left with are service industries, finance, insurance and so on and as a trading nation we will decline.

Have you noticed that these service industries are simply businesses where they take money from A, and pass it to B, and during the process an inordinate quantity of it adheres to the hands doing the "passing". We can not eat their products, nor wear their products, neither can we live in their products. They are in fact parasites, just as much as our MPs. The day is rapidly drawing near when we finally become the lawless, impoverished third world country that Blair is blindly creating.

edit: Chock spilling

Yes, it is.

Have you noticed that these service industries are simply businesses where they take money from A, and pass it to B, and during the process an inordinate quantity of it adheres to the hands doing the "passing". We can not eat their products, nor wear their products, neither can we live in their products. They are in fact parasites, just as much as our MPs. The day is rapidly drawing near when we finally become the lawless, impoverished third world country that Blair is blindly creating.

For over thirty years of my working life I was a rep calling on Industry. I think I could safely say that the vast majority of my old customers are now closed down or in serious decline. I used to do thousands of pounds worth of business a year in the steel industry, and light to medium manufacturing companies.

Yes, it is.

For over thirty years of my working life I was a rep calling on Industry. I think I could safely say that the vast majority of my old customers are now closed down or in serious decline. I used to do thousands of pounds worth of business a year in the steel industry, and light to medium manufacturing companies.

The rapid decline of British industry started under that champion of all that is British, MAGGIE THATCHER.

It has continued at an accelerated rate under that grinning idiot B'liar.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is a pity that a sensible discussion on a serious subject should have to descend into personal abuse like that.

Thos. :ranting:

Pfffffft... how did I guess you'd say that? :rolleyes:

But no, it started before good old Maggie came along.

In my post you will find the words rapid decine , nowhere did I say that it was started by Thatcher.

As someone who was a baby at the time, there is not much you can tell about living through a Tory government under Thatcher. :lol:

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is a pity that a sensible discussion on a serious subject should have to descend into personal abuse like that.

Sorry if you are offended, but I, along with millions of others are equally offended by his silly grin and swaggering walk. It is also a sad fact that the countries decline has accelerated under him and his chancellor.

Sorry if you are offended, but I, along with millions of others are equally offended by his silly grin and swaggering walk. It is also a sad fact that the countries decline has accelerated under him and his chancellor.

Your arguments are not strengthened by personal abuse and I doubt that your opinion that "millions of others are equally offended" is valid.

Thos.

Your arguments are not strengthened by personal abuse and I doubt that your opinion that "millions of others are equally offended" is valid.

Thos.

I have no doubt that the majority of this country now feel that he should go. His silly grin is often referred to on TV. Would you deny that the opposition has had plenty of abuse on this forum? I am sorry , but it is a fact that he frequently displays a rather silly smarmy grin. Equally his chancellor has had rather poor lessons in trying to speak with a smile on his face, it just does not work. On the other side of the spectrum, Michael Howard is the same, Someone seems to be making a fortune in teaching politicians how to do silly grins.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. B'liars silly grin.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. B'liars silly grin.

Your idea of a silly grin is someone else's idea of delight at being with a lovely child and is precisely why discussions should not descend into this area.

Thos.

O M G 22.gif

Assuming that OMG is an acronym for "Oh My God", I can't see that this adds much to the debate(for the want of a better word!)

Thos.

although not particually fond of blair or new labour i do feel that they have slowed the fall.

had the tories not sold the family jewels i think they would have done even better.

but as the third world rises i feel there is not much hope for any western industry in the long term.

I would not say that Labour have slowed any demise of British industry. It has carried on at a steady rate. As for selling the family jewels, most of those family jewels were already loosing the country millions, and would have gone to the wall anyway. Since gaining power, B'liar has also done his share of privatisation. The privatised industries are now in better shape than they were when they were run by the state, whether the Tories or Labour have sold them off.

Here is one of Labours sell offs. Click here

Selling off the health service and schools

Selling off Londons tube

There are many more.

There is no doubt about it, we are in a terrible mess, as is the rest of the world.

We have a man "in charge" whose sole ambition is to leave "a legacy", and additionally be remembered as a Great Statesman. His "chosen" successor seems to be perpetually comatose (or biting his tongue). His claims to fame are 1) selling not the family jewels but the countries gold, 2) adding to the pensions problem by stealing from the pension funds and 3) presiding over the success built on the foundations laid by Maggie and her sad crew.

The new leader of New Conservatism is giving a wonderful display of modern political strategy. He has abandoned much of what he personally created for Micheal Howards failed attempt to become PM and in its place he is putting what he thinks will win the next election (if he is still leader by then). He has sacrificed "Tory Principals" for vote winning rhetoric just as our little cherub sacrificed Labour Principals in order to get his feet in the trough. The one spark of hope is that he obviously realises just how incompetent he and his cronies are, and has brought 'on board' that foul mouthed oaf Geldorf as an advisor . With an advisor like that who needs friends or enemies?

This week we also have seen the honesty of the liberal camp displayed to the full. For months "Ginger" has had no drink problem (and all his party kept quiet) then suddenly he says that he has a drink problem. What is more he expects to be allowed to continue, as though it was perfectly acceptable for an MP and, in his eyes, "potential" PM, to have a drink problem. Imagine, he could become another Boris Yeltsin.

Speaking of whom, just look at the furore created by Putin, over the last week or so. True World Statesman Diplomacy at its best.

Then of course there is Dubya and his buddies.

Not forgetting all the good living, well meaning religious fundementalist (of all persuasions ...PC speak).

What a wonderful world. Alice would have felt at home.

I would not say that Labor have slowed any demise of British industry. It has carried on at a steady rate. As for selling the family jewels, most of those family jewels were already loosing the country millions, and would have gone to the wall anyway. Since gaining power, B'liar has also done his share of privatisation. The privatised industries are now in better shape than they were when they were run by the state, whether the Tories or Labour have sold them off.

Here is one of Labours sell offs. Click here

Selling off the health service and schools

Selling off Londons tube

There are many more.

yes but once the tories went to the pawn shop and sold off the only paying utilities you have no option

but to keep going back anybody in debt will tell you that.

these industries where bloated and inefficient but they provided good jobs and pensions for all.

now these streamlined efficient companies provide only meager wages and no pensions for there imigrant workforce and the profits are leaving the country.

What did the Tories sell off that was paying, and most importantly would have carried on paying without state support? You have accused the Tories of selling the state jewels, but have not acknowledged the links that I provided. B'liar has carried on exactly where the Tories left off. You mention pensions. One of the first tasks that B'liars hoppo Brown did, was to remove the tax concessions that pension funds enjoyed. This has had more that one bad effect. For a start it reduced the value of all existing pension funds by up to at least 15%, thereby reducing the pensions of everyone in a pension scheme. I for one am getting considerably less that I would have done otherwise, well in excess of 10% less. Secondly the removal of this tax concession is one of the main reasons that so many pension funds are now in queer street, and are billions in the red. This move of B'liars government is largely responsible for the reluctance of so many people to save for their retirement in pension funds. Anyone with any sense would leave pension funds well alone and seek investment elsewhere. Brown also stopped PEPS and introduced Isa's, which are far less valuable. Not only are industries going under at an increasing rate, but pension funds as well. Brown and B'liar need stuffing with the rough end of a rag mans trumpet, a good old fashioned Midlands expression, which is very true in this instance.

Just remember that B'liar has abandoned clause four. He knew that it did not make sense.