External USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure

deuces wild

I just purchased one. It was a brand manufactured by the local BestBuy. I cannot recomend one, as I have not used anything other than this one.

I will say that USB 2.0 external enclosures work in bursts. This means they send a large amount of data at a time, then pause. They do not work contiulously as an IDE hard drive would. Therefore, do not try to burn any sort of CD/DVD from your external. Always transfer to an internal first.

I just purchased one. It was a brand manufactured by the local BestBuy. I cannot recomend one, as I have not used anything other than this one.

I will say that USB 2.0 external enclosures work in bursts. This means they send a large amount of data at a time, then pause. They do not work contiulously as an IDE hard drive would. Therefore, do not try to burn any sort of CD/DVD from your external. Always transfer to an internal first.

Can music files be stored on it and played back easily with any interruption or skipping?

Yes, a normal IDE hard drive which I put into an enclosure myself but, from what I have seen, the commercial ones are very similar.

Putting the disk in a box yourself is lower cost than buying a made up unit.

Sorry, I should have specified.

Yes. Video/Audio/Data will play just fine. The USB 2.0 is fast enough to throw data in bursts so the RAM (which is doing the actual playback) can keep up. Mind you if you have a very minimal amount of ram, you might notice skipping or buffering.

I was just warning about burning data/audio/video from an external drive. Since it works in bursts, you will get buffer under-run errors.

I am using a Maxtor 200GB IDE drive in an enclosure I put together myself. It is not hard. 4 screws hold the drive to a controller board, and 4 screws hold the drive together. All the work is done by the controller board.

Rather than going and buying an external drive, I recomend buying an internal drive and an external enclosure seperatly. You can save yourself a lot of money.

Thanks all. The problem I have seen is that the brand name external enclosures are anywhere from $50 to $100. However, I have seen a number of off brands on ebay for $20 or so. I don't want to sink a lot of money in this and was wondering if the off brands would work just as well.

Here are some examples: http://tinyurl.com/adodf

I cannot recomend a brand, but some things to look for:

Material: Aluminum will not conduct heat as much as some materials. I'd stay away from plastic though, as it could melt.

Fans: If the drive includes fans, that is a plus although you do not nesessarily need it.

Brand: Is the brand a name you have used before? If so were you satisfied with thier product or not?