Just Recently forced to type "www"

MagicPuffs

Hi, today I went on Internet Explorer, as usual, and I found that I had to type www.[website address here]

Usually, I just type in the address with out the www. For example: yahoo.com but now I have to do www.yahoo.com

If I do not type the www, the page auto-closes and I'm sent back to my desktop...

PLEASE help it's getting very annoying, Thanks! :lol:

P.S. - Anyone know the best 100% free pop-up blocker?

Actually, both problems can be solved with the same answer.

Google Toolbar or Firefox.

The Google Toolbar provides a pop-up blocker, and "Browse By Name" (IE ONLY, but firefox does this out of the box)

Firefox also includes a pop-up blocker built-in.

Address Bar Browse by Name (Internet Explorer only)

Browse by Name helps you find a site even when you don't know its URL. Just type the site name into your browser address bar, and Toolbar will take you there automatically. For instance, try typing "oxford" into the address bar to go directly to the university's home page at www.ox.ac.uk.

If you type in something that doesn't have an official home page, like "digital cameras," Browse by Name will automatically show you search results for that term

Tried Firefox, soon gor rid of it.

Yet I use Firefox almost all the time. The only use I have for I.E. is on those few sites that are not enabled for browsers other than I.E., for example some UK government sites don't function fully on anything other than I.E.

Each to his own of course. I just don't think it right that the first piece of advice often given to people who are having a problem with IE, is to use Firefox instead. Firefox is NOT without problems as quite a few can testify to. Surely if there is a problem with IE, this needs addressing if someone wants help, as there is a problem on their computer.

To back you up andsome, I have noticed some problems using Firefox... They are not faults of firefox, but faults of the web page author.

For example:

my school's web page has web based e-mails. While I can log-in, read and create emails just fine in Firefox, I can only delete them in IE. (This has been solved by adding an IMAP account to Thunderbird)

I think the biggest problem Firefox has is web developers are not testing with it. Some sites will appear differently in IE than Firefox, or any other browser for that matter.

You will notice the same with Safari, Opera, etc...

How come no one seems to use Netscape now a days ?

Dont know, I used to use it 5 or 6 years ago when I used to have a website that always appeared better in Netscape, it always was harder to set up the site for IE for some reason, but cant remember why :rolleyes:

Then I went back to IE, dont ask why, but just lately have gone onto Opera which seems very good and faster than IE.

lol u guys are just have your own little conversation here...

Firefox is a totally new internet browser thing isn't it? Is there any way i can get rid of having to type 'www' w/out converting to firefox? i already have Google Toolbar. And this is the first time in probably a couple yrs. that i have had this problem with IE

Hi, today I went on Internet Explorer, as usual, and I found that I had to type www.[website address here]

Usually, I just type in the address with out the www. For example: yahoo.com but now I have to do www.yahoo.com

If I do not type the www, the page auto-closes and I'm sent back to my desktop...

PLEASE help it's getting very annoying, Thanks! :lol:

P.S. - Anyone know the best 100% free pop-up blocker?

Sorry for the earlier thread hijack - it happens all the time when our friend Andsome makes a comment :)

Now - do I understand you correctly: Internet Explorer closes on you if you specify a URL without 'www' prefix? This is highly unusual - could it be that you have some kind of malware infection? Do you have antivirus & antispyware software installed? Please read this topic which covers antispyware basics. If you think you may have some sort of infection not detected by antipsyware, please read this topic on how to produce and post a HijackThis report.

Regarding Firefox - no-one is suggesting that you install FF to fix a problem with IE. But sometimes it helps to have a second browser on the system to compare its behaviour with IE. Everyone should use the browser s/he is most comfortable with, and for a large number of this forum's users it is Firefox. There is, b.t.w., a Google Toolbar for Firefox.

How come no one seems to use Netscape now a days ?

I have used Netscape since v1.1, which was a loooong time before Microsoft even knew what a web browser is. It came on a floppy disk and cost USD 29 (I believe). Then one day (around 2000) Netscape developed some kind of download manager, and from that point on I was unable to download any new updates. That's when I quit using NS.