Guest Nellie2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Nellie2

Will do Ellas when I find out how to get to it......... what do you want to know??

By the way, I heard from the Man from Microsoft today, this is a copy of what he says!!

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the time you have invested in this issue.

Based on my further research on the event log, I found there are some errors about system files, which may cause this issue. You have indicated that the system works properly but the subsequent installation does not.

Since some system files have been damaged and cannot be repaired.  In fact, the subsequent installation only replaces the system files instead of creating new system files.

Based on the current status, some system kernel files have missing and damaged. I suggest we reinstall Windows XP from scratch. I understand that the steps may be complicated and time-consuming. However, in this way, all the current and potential problems can be cleaned up. After formatting the har

d disk and reinstalling Windows XP, we will get a fresh Windows XP installation. It is more stable than the current system. If we take a long time to resolve the issue on the current system, we also cannot guarantee the issue will not re-occur in the future. By formatting a hard disk and reinstalli

ng Windows XP, we can get a more stable system. Therefore, I suggest you reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

Please let me know if you prefer to reinstall Windows XP from scratch. If yes, I will give the detailed steps of backing up important files and reinstalling Windows XP in my next email.

I shall mail him back and say okay dokay..... I shall also say that I have installed XP from scratch about 5 times!!!!!..... ho hum! At least I might be getting somewhere.

Any intelligent questions you want me to ask while I am at it?

Guest ellas

wow how can they tell that,yes ask him as you have reinstalled 5 times what could be causing the damaged system files because something in the install of xp is.

Guest Nellie2

I am going to.... I shall give him the whole history of my XP installations........including new hard drive... again and then we can take it from there. perhaps he wants to do it in stages and have a look at my log file to see where the problem is poping up....dunno, I will send my email later and no doubt will have another one waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.

I shall keep you posted!!!

Guest Nellie2

I didn't hear from the Man from Microsoft yesterday, perhaps he was having a day off!!! I don't know if he has written to me today yet 'cos I can't access my home emails from work.....But, I decided to ring Microsoft UK this morning, I spoke to a very nice engineer chappie who tried his best to blind me with science...but the long and the short of it is that he is convinced I have a hardware prob. I explained about what the Man from Microsoft on the on line support had said but he wasn't having it.... anyway, the purpose of my call really was to try to get a replacement disk, just in case my one is damaged. The engineer didn't really think that would be the case but I asked nicely and he said he would call me back. Which he did 10 mins later to tell me that they will post one out to me today, I should get it tomorrow. So as long as the postman can fit it through the letter box I will do another reformat tomorrow night.... and see what happens!!!!

Fingers and everything else crossed then!!!

BTW... I really cannot fault M$ they have been so accomodating and helpful. :)

Guest Nellie2

A quick update for you. The Man from Microsoft sent me a lovely email telling me how to back up my data and reformat my hard drive and do a fresh install of XP. Even though I had sent him a lenthy note to say -that I had already done all that loads of times.......... bless him!

On a better note, the postman has been today but the package wouldn't fit through the letter box so I will have to go and pick it up from the sorting office tomorrow. Sooooo.......... tomorrow is reformat and reload day. I shall use the Maxtor utility to reformat....... thanks Boris........ and I will do the updates in safe mode...just in case.

Watch this space :)

Guest Nellie2

Another update for you and it will be the last one I think.......... the system is still hanging by the way. I have spent the weekend searching the net for possible causes and have come across a few problems with my chipset Via KT133a. I have updated the drivers.......... didn't work......... disabled Pnp o/s in the bios as suggested in a via help forum..........didn't work. Changed the IDE transfer from DMA to PIO only......... that did work but only to stop it hanging while I load software from a CD rom. It still hangs at other odd times.

Big sigh! :(

I think I will do one last fresh install and load the via drivers straight away... before I get any hanging... see if that works. I planned to upgrade later on in the year anyway so if the problem gets too bad I will just go back to 98 until I do.

One last thing, I told the nice Man from Microsoft about my discoveries regarding my chipset and got an email back from him saying more or less that if it was ok with me we will have to leave this incident as unresolved!!!!!!

Guest Nellie2

Yeah well, W98SE is going back on tonight......... I had one last thought which I thought I would try and lo and behold I have had system lock ups all blinking afternoon.......... It is really doing my head in.

I do like XP and I will go back to it.... I would just like the rest of my hardware to be in one piece when I do. (It nearly got chucked down the stairs today!!! :( )