Ongoing problems

Guest Nellie2

Guest Nellie2

I have been trying to find the cause of my system lock up, I thought it was something to do with the Windows updates but that doesn't seem to be the case now......... I have narrowed it down to actions that I am carrying out on the PC........ namley downloading and installing something will cause it and also if I am posting here or sending a PM the PC will also lock up. What happens exactly when we post..... does a cookie jump in??

Lets see if I can post this!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Nellie2

I was having another think......... as I do sometimes. The first time I installed XP it was fine but Iwanted to change the partitions so I did it again and that was when the problems started. The only difference in my system hardware wise is that I had a modem installed the first time, even though I don't use it and I don't have XP drivers for it. So I took it out when I reinstalled the second time!!!!!! Anyway, I have stuck it back in again............... watch this space!! I'll let you know how I go on. I did download some updates this morning and the PC was freezing on update downloads......... it didn't, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Hello Nellie, I'm afraid I know very little about XP, but it sounds like your lockups occur with a common theme, ie when sending/receiving data to the internet.

I cannot remember, but are you on broadband or dial up, and if on broadband, what sort of connection, NIC or USB?

Perhaps a couple of basic starting points, are the built in firewall with XP (turn it off, it's worse than useless) or the drivers for your connection hardware.

Let's start with those, and take it from there.

Mr. M.

PS I have to go out soon, it's my parents 40th anniversary, but I will pop back this evening.

Must type faster!! Sorry Nel, but you posted as I was clicking away. If you want to remove your modem, it may be worth removing ALL your networking components, then reinstalling what you need from scratch. It is possible that your TCP/IP protocol has become corrupted.

Mr. M.

Guest Nellie2

Hello Mr Mouse.......... thanks very much for your thoughts. To be honest I am not bothered whether the modem sits in the case or not! I still have a spare PCI slot if I want to plug anything in and it was never a very good modem in the first place so I doubt if I would ever want to put it in another machine.

When XP loads it automatically does the network stuff for you although you do have the option to do it yourself. I have got to look at this at some point because my PC and the other one are having a battle over who is boss. The other PC is the main one as it used to set up NTL and the router. However, I do know the trouble between the PC's cant be causing the probs I was having as it still happened when the other computer was off and i didn't have any problems the first time I installed (when the modem was in!!! )

Oh and the built in firewall is off!!

Have a nice time and thanks for your thoughts ;)

Guest Nellie2

no I haven't redone the network set up wizard.......... would that stop them squabbling over who is boss? By the way, it isn't affecting the PC that I can tell but I am getting error logs about it

Guest Nellie2

The other is W98 when it was origionally set up, the software was loaded onto the other comp and then a set up disk was made and I ran it on this one.......... also W98 at the time........ and then everything was sorted. I fully expected to have to run the network disk again when I put XP on but it seemed to detect the network ok.

By the way.............. I was in the forum earlier posting away......... and have come back now.......... no lock ups!!! Touch wood. This is the longest I have managed to do anything on the internet with out it locking up on me........... still keeping everything crossed though.

If you do start getting lockup's again, run the network wizard and get it to create a setup disk so you can run it on your other PC.

Win XP likes to think it is the boss when it comes to sharing internet connections, so running the wizard may set it straight!

My browser always locked up when i came to this site when i had loads of flash buttons on it, so maybe the content on sites you visit may affect your computer.

Guest ellas

removing the dial up modem should make no difference thats what I did in my other puter,just remove it from device manager and shutdown and remove it.

Guest Nellie2

Yeah well I am back to square one cos I am having freezes again........ perhaps it is the network thing. I am having problems persuading the other half to reliquish network control though!!!!...........must be a man thing!!! :huh:

Start > Run > Copy and paste:

eventvwr.msc

Click ok. Take a look at the SYSTEM and APPLCATION logs for ERROR (in red)

Double click those (or these) logs, note the time and see if the coincides with the locks ups. Have a read at what the log says (You probbaly wont understand any of it - nobody does)

At the bottom scroll down and click the link and it may reveal a a fix.

Guest ellas

had a remote look at nels system powerless and all the event viewer logs are about the main browser and forcing a election and closing down,in otherwords xp's not happy about 98 being topdog :D

On a network based on Microsoft networking, there MUST be for each workgroup one system

acting as the book-keeper, this system is called the "Browse-Master".

When you have a network of Windows95/98/ME/2000/XP systems and you switch on these systems,

one of first things done by the network-software is to check on the network for the presence of

a Browse-Master:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/nethood.htm

Worth a read,

Good luck.