I've just put my crisp £20 note back into the "Replacement reserve" jamjar :D

It was worth an ask though.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think your going in the wrong direction nel...

I do not see how a HDD could be casuing your problem. The only way is if the HDD is phsically damaged and is slowly heading towards HDD heaven :(

There are tools from the manufactures of the HDD's that will test your drive for errors. Only thing is you'll have to format and reinstall again, but if it's going to save £XX then i see that as a plus.

Either one you have a hardware problem (not the HDD) or a software problem. If all of your hardware is compatiable with XP then that rules out hardware. So it points towards a software problem, comapatiable tc?

On the other hand it could be anything.

If you purchase a new HDD and it cures everything then i was soooooooooooooooooooo wrong :angry: but if the probelm comes back then damn :angry:

I think you need to do a "process of elimination" it will take time and you may find the lillte bugger that is causing your problem.

If the HDD is physically damaged then ok it "might" be cauing your problem, but i'm going to say its something elsle other than ya HDD (famous last words)

Guest Nellie2

I installed my shiny new hard drive this morning and sent a request for help off to M$ this afternoon!! Should have done that in the first place I suppose. A new hard drive was on my list of things to do so that isn't really an issue but...... The problem started before any software was loaded!! I formatted the drive, installed XP........ downloaded and installed the Critical updates........ok so far, then downloaded and tried to install a couple of recommended updates and it froze halfway through the installation. I can't pin it down to a particular update because I have even tried not installing any updates and it still happens!!!! :(

Guest Nellie2

Don't know Ellas......... when I re-installed a couple of days ago I tried downloading them one at a time but there is just no pattern to the locking up prob. It seems to be totally random.....

This is what was in the error log

DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service SENS with arguments "" in order to run the server: {D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8 DD2-00AA004ABD5E}

I had that one twice, this was before any software was loaded, it has locked up on me a few times since and I haven't had that error again....

Guest Nellie2

I have had a reply from the nice man at microsoft........ gonna unplug the printer and stuff in a minute. Here is what he said.

In your case log, you've indicated that there is the following error message in the event log

DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service SENS with arguments "" in order to run the server: {D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8 DD2-00AA004ABD5E}

We shall be working to resolve this specific issue through the course of the case. If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

Based on my experience, since this issue exists after reinstalling Windows XP, this issue may be caused by a hardware issue, such as an incompatible device driver. I would like to suggest we remove all the peripheral equipment and restart Windows XP to test this issuer. Please make sure there are v

alid drivers for Windows XP.

If the problem still occurs, I believe the issue is caused by a hardware conflict. I suggest we involve the computer's manufacturer in this case, for they are the proper resource for their products.

Your understanding is appreciated.

In the meantime, please send your event log to my email account: [email protected]. I will perform some further research.

Please let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear in my email, please don't hesitate to let me know, and I will be glad to help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Peter Gao

mailto:[email protected]

Microsoft Windows Support Professional

Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let my manager or me know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to Microsoft Management at mailto:[email protected]?subject=Microsoft_Windows_Feedback or directly to my manager, Rick Lu at mailto:v-ricklu@microsof

t.com

Umm........... how do I send him my event log???? :(

Guest Nellie2

Here is the link moon.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?i...QQFJWHZM00SZ8JB

Now here is a funny thing, well a couple really, I booted into safe mode to download the updates after doing a repair.. on the welcome screen where you put your password in it stated that I had 2 unread mail messages, yet when I boot up normally my welcome screen doesn't say that, just my name and the place to put the password. Also, I have downloaded all the critical updates and recomended ones and I don't have an extra account like madboy did!!!!

Lastly, as I was trying to load the Pitstop software to run the test...... it is active X...... the PC froze twice at the same point. It did it the third time though!!!!

Still haven't replied to the man from Microsoft cos I don't know how to send my event log.........still!!!

Guest moon

I'm not a great analyst, nellie, but your C drive seems fragged to death at 36%. Mine starts to do weird things at 2%. Also, and I don't want to start a war, Norton is notorious for hogging resources unexpectedly and causing all manner of conflicts. I think that your rig ought to be scoring higher than that.

For what it's worth, I would be downloading a good defrag. utility and defragging in safe mode. Then I'd show Norton the door and install AVG Free. You can run most of the Systemworks stuff from your Norton disc, without installing it. The only Norton stuff I keep on my drive is the Utilities bit so that I can run WinDoctor, which is excellent.

I would start with a defrag. though, because that's the most obvious fault on your machine.

That's the best I can offer. I'd rather be playing forfeits. :D

Guest Nellie2

XP says the drive doesn't need defragging yet!!!........I could try it I suppose but I was getting this problem on a brand new, freshly formatted and installed drive yesterday!

Also, I take your point about Norton but I don't think that is the problem because I was getting system freezes yesterday before I loaded any software..............including Norton!!! :(

Guest moon

OK, well concentrate on your system and configuration as it is now and let's see if we can get to the bottom of it. Do a defrag. and then reduce everything at Startup to the very minimum , ie, turn off Norton etc., so you can eliminate any software conflicts. I can run my machine with just Explorer, Systray and Power Profile.

Before you do that though, grab Startup Monitor from here http://www.itsfree4u.com/monitor.shtml It's a very small app. with a very small footprint and you can use it to prevent anything unauthorised from running after you've trimmed your Startup folder.

There are some good free analytical tools there too, 'cause I'm thinking of monitoring your processor usage at the time of your freezes.

Guest Nellie2
nel you have nowt running at startup :o

Yes well I only loaded it all yesterday, I haven't had a chance to put anything on the damn thing cos it keeps freezing on me!! Plus I don't like things starting automatically unless they have to so I do tend to disable automatic start up of things if I can.

Guest Nellie2

I have taken Nwiz and Nvcpl out of start up .... I don't think that is the problem though cos I didn't have anything loaded to start with, when I first put XP on and I still got the freezes

Guest moon

If you leave Startup Monitor in your Startup folder, nellie, nothing will run without it asking you, no phone homes, no sneakies and malicious scripts. I'm digressing a little here, but you'll know for sure that nothing is circumnavigating your minimalised start-up requirements.