Ongoing problems

Guest Nellie2

Guest Nellie2

Well the f-ing thing has crashed about five times in the last 10 mins.

Here is the error log for today!!

01 June 2003 Applicatio n Error Faulting application helpctr.exe, version 5.1.2600.1106, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.1106, fault address 0x0001a67a.

01 June 2003 DrWatson The application, C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Bi naries\HelpCtr.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 06/01/2003 @ 19:42:19.678 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77E7A67A (kernel32!InterlockedDecrement )

01 June 2003 TlntSvr WSAGetLastError() returned error: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

01 June 2003 TlntSvr WSAGetLastError() returned error: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

02 June 2003 TlntSvr WSAGetLastError() returned error: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

I have to tax my pigging car tomorrow too!!! :(

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm...

The helpctr.exe is just the help and support from the start menu.

How the hell that is crashing your computer do not know.

Have you tried SFC /SANNOW from the run command?

Also ther Kernel32.dll is a pretty imporant Windows File.

(always wanted to attach this :P )

Guest ellas

nel can you disable the telnet service as that what the TlntSvr WSAGetLastError() returned error: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used. is about,when you say freeze does ctrl/alt/delete not bring up task manager.

Guest Nellie2

No Trojans........... did a scan with The cleaner.

Couldn't run the SFC scan now thing......... tried twice and both times it locked up.... so I did a repair in the end!!! Again!!!!

Have disabled the telnet thing Ellas.

When I say lock up I mean just that........... no ctrl /alt/ del even pressing the windows key won't bring up the start menu............. totally nothing.

Guest Nellie2

Thought you might like a bit of an update.... after some discussion and a lot of PM's and a bit of remote assistance etc I have come to the conclusion that my problem is a hardware one. I was having a kernel dll error now and then which points to a hard drive problem sometimes!!! Anyway, I have more or less tried all the fiddling around I can do so I have decided to treat myself to a new hard drive.

I have been having a rummage around the Novatech site and have ordered a rather nice 60gig one for £56.93 inc vat + £3.00 delivery.

I will let you know how I get on when it arrives. :)

I have been having a rummage around the Novatech site and have ordered a rather nice 60gig one for £56.93 inc vat + £3.00 delivery.

Which one ? Nothing showing at that price ?

If I was in the H/D market I would have gone for the :-

DiamondMax Plus9 80Gb 2Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive ATA 133

Admittedly a bit more but bigger, very quiet + ATA133

Guest Nellie2

Here is the link.............. it is the one at the bottom of the page

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/Storage...0d0e0x0y1z2p1m0

I did think about the 80gig one but I really don't know what I would do with all that space........ also I was trying to stay under £50.... ok, I know I went over but only a little bit

As you can see......... this one has the same specs, just a tad smaller!!! :)

Guest Nellie2

BTW........... I priced some hard drives in a well known store......not PCW but another one, in fact a couple. Anyway, high street prices seem to be about £70 for a 40gig 5400rpm drive!!!!........so you can save a lot by doing your shopping on line!!!

I ordered a USB 2 card from them Saturday here in Mondays post, as good as crucial I think

I got a brand new PCI USB 2.0 card with 4 rear ports + 2 more on the card itself for £12.00 at Whitchurch on Sunday.

I think it was wrongly priced ? - but my mate was delighted.

Guest Nellie2

I know I know........... an extra 20gig for very little but then the price just creeps up doesn't it!!!! I decided that 60 would be enough for me.

It actually came to £56.93 at the checkout.........so an extra 53p was added in the vat calc somewhere I think. I have ordered mine with just the 3/5 day delivery............ I will let you know when it actually arrives.

Guest Nellie2

I placed my order with Novatech yesterday lunchtime, I just asked for the normal 3/5 days delivery and today the postman tried to deliver a parcel.......... but it wouldn't fit through my letter box. I shall pick it up from the sorting office tomorrow morning!!!

I wonder what it is????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes ellas, but if it is ?

BTW What happens to the old one ? Re-cycling ?

I could replace the dodgy 8 gig one in this (if Nel was open to a reasonable offer for it ?) :D

Guest Nellie2
Reformat and reinstall

Believe me powerless............ I have done that more than once... :(

If I still get the problem after I have changed the hard drive then I don't know............. I am stumped!! PC murder I think.

My current hard drive is going to go into another puter, sorry Boris...... but to be honest, I don't think I would trust it, that is if my problem does go away with the change of hard drive.