CCleaner

Brandon_

On 5/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, spanjokus said:

And who will tell you why on the official MS forums when you advise CCleaner, the moderators there say that this is unwanted software that breaks the system?

Well, I've been using the Free version of this for 20 years now and it has never "broken" any system that I have installed it on.  Can you produce some evidence to substantiate your statement ?

My understanding is that Microsoft are pretty anti third party reg cleaners and maintenance programs in general and this isn't confined to ccleaner.

Where ccleaner crossed the line in Microsofts view was when after the takeover by avast! they started bundling other software like the browser and antivirus in the installer. This counted as a PUP or Potentially Unwanted Program so Windows Defender started warning against it.

I also use ccleaner and have for many years without breaking anything. I did however get caught out once when it installed avast!, not exactly without my consent but mainly as having run the update so many times I did it on autopilot and didn't notice the change and that if I didn't specifically opt out I was going to get avast! installed. Lesson learned but I wasn't the only one that really didn't like the approach and I don't think they do it anymore.

• Like 1

If you download the "Slim" version installer, it doesn't include these "Extra" items.

Similarly if you use Patch My PC to update your PC it also doesn't install any "extras".

• 1 month later...

hmm, I've used CCleaner in the past when my PC was still windows 7, but when I upgraded to windows 10, I don't use it as much anymore somehow...

I've also seen some open source alternatives for CCleaner and was thinking about taking those for a test spin. 😎

• 1 year later...
v6.18.10838 (23 Nov 2023)

Taking the hassle out of PC maintenance 

• We have initiated the roll-out of the new Software Updater tool which will also be included in the Health Check and brings a larger app database. A small set of users might experience the new Software Updater in the app.  
  • We extended testing of the new Health Check flow to more users, which improves guidance during the cleaning and optimization steps. 
  • We expanded our cleaning to our Customer Support tool. 

Fixing bugs and other improvements  

• We resolved an issue that might cause the unregistering of CCleaner Professional for some users.
  • We optimized the UI on the overview screen and for Software Updater and Driver Updater post-update screens. 
  • We resolved an issue when Software Updater might get stuck during the update of multiple apps simultaneously.  
  • We resolved several licensing issues related to refunds and license expiration. 
  • We improved the handling of uninstall parameters in the Uninstaller feature. 
  • We implemented a fix to component permissions to prevent potential misuse. 

• 3 weeks later...

CCleaner v6.19.10858 -13th December 2023

With CCleaner v6.19, we're continuing to improve Software Updater and Health Check while extending testing of these new versions to more users. Besides that, this release is focused on bug fixes and organizing our backend to optimize future releases. 

Our support tool can now understand your cleaning rules to help resolve support queries more quickly. 

We’re continuing to test the new version of Software Updater via Health Check with a small set of users.

The new version now asks users to close running applications so we can update them, and sorts the recently updated software by date. 

The portable version of CCleaner no longer crashes after starting. 

We resolved an issue whereby users with the UI in certain languages did not see the Start Button on the Welcome Screen. We implemented several backend optimizations and improvements for better control over new feature releases. 

• 1 month later...
v6.20.10897 (17 Jan 2024)

• We’ve improved cookie cleaning for Chromium browsers. 
  • We’ve added new cleaning rules to remove bookmarks backup files for all Chromium browsers. 
  • In the new version of Software Updater, you can now close the dialog box that shows the list of running programs to leave them running and omit them from the scan.  
  • We’re continuing to test the new version of Software Updater via Health Check with a growing set of users.  

• We’ve resolved an issue where bookmark backups from Opera (GX) were not detected on Windows 7 and 8.1. 

• 2 months later...

CCleaner v6.23.11010

We have improved Performance Optimizer and regular scanning in general.

Now, you can easily access all scan results by clicking on the ‘Health status’ button in the top bar. 

• We've enhanced Performance Optimizer to only display programs installed under the currently logged-in user, as well as excluding essential programs like antivirus that should not be deactivated. 

• We've fixed a crash affecting a small number of users during Software Updater scans.  
  • We've addressed a crash that could occur when starting the Performance Optimizer regular scan.  
  • We've resolved an issue causing Health Check to get stuck for some users. 
  • Further stability and performance improvements.