CCleaner

Brandon_

I do not run a third party av. In CC I clicked on Check for updates, no Avast splash. I was taken to piriform. Mind you I have disabled the nag to update, so my click was not from the popup reminder. Since the virus I am comfortable with running one version behind for example I am still on Free 5.37.6309 64bit.

D4\/!d I didn't have any problem with 5.37, the avast! thing only started up on the latest update 5.38 so if you are like us on Defender check your splash screen when you next update. If I'm right and I suspect I am you'll get the avast option on it and it comes preset to install unless you override it.

8 minutes ago, -pops- said:

have a bloody cheek trying to inflict their stuff on to me.

True, I have no real issues with them offering it as an option, but setting install as the default, Not Good :xmad:

Sorry I cannot reduce image size (no handles).

Anyway I then went direct to the piriwhatnot site, I often do that. Their Install box looks the same with a Yes box already ticked. Grrhh.

btw I would have chosen the Customise option under the blue Install button, I typically do select the Customise option with any software.

I am still on 5.37 ftb.

It would be nice if customize gave you control of the avast! install, but it doesn't it's just the same as it always was and if as I did you click customise without reading the splash screen you see nothing, assume all is as normal then wonder what the hell has gone wrong as the popups appear telling you your security has been deactivated. 

• 4 months later...

@Geriatic Teenager

I also use update from C Cleaner and also on that no other pups offered.  This is a bit of a nuisance as many do it for the profit. Seeing as 21st Century is dedicated to Greed is Good - Gordon Gecko has much to answer for :censored2:

@Hansom I today am setting up Chrome - as can now close off the "spying" and I use Mask Me - have done for 15 years for passwords and Firefox Quantum wont allow it nor other so called legacy things like IDM also paid life sub and used it for years fast downloads and reliable etc so Chrome take both.  And yes I know can so to Blur but bad enough setting up Chrome.

When our once not a favourite of mine PM Malcolm Fraser now popped his clogs said "Life wasn't meant to be easy"  I reckon he put the kybosh on all of us in the west. :sign_groan:

• 1 month later...

I don't like this newfangled version, I am sticking with and old v5.38.

Like many programs I don't bother to update them now. Typically I am happy with the ones I've got.

Whereas at one time I was always first to try out the beta version. Not now.

• 1 month later...

I experienced a disaster with CCleaner last evening.

I opened CC and clicked on check for updates

It said there was an update available - so I clicked on the link.

After a few seconds the CC icon vanished from my system tray and the CC desktop icon became just a square and not the CC icon - nothing was happening.

I looked in the list of programmes in the Windows menu and it wasn't there.

I then rebooted the computer - there was now no sign of CCleaner anywhere - except in the Control Panel list of programmes in the "Prorammes and Features" section and in the Programmes Folder on my C Drive.

I clicked on the C Drive Programmes CC .exe file to see if it would launch from there - it didn't. So I assumed the update had corrupted it and I uninstalled it.

During the uninstall the computer froze and after a battle I had to do a forced close down.

On rebooting I downloaded and re-installed CCleaner which seemed to go OK - but still refused to launch.

I finally fired up Acronis and restored the C Drive back to the last back-up on 09/06/18.

Upon re-booting the computer I opened CCleaner and (with fingers crossed) clicked on Update - which worked perfectly - but I had to avoid the ticked Avast bullet..

The computer is now back to working OK.

Weird innit.

21 minutes ago, Boris said:

If you use the excellent Patch My PC (free) - as I do

https://patchmypc.net/overview

it not only keeps over 300 programmes up-to-date on your PC, but you never get any of this unrequired bloatware installed during installation  :smile:

That looks like a very useful Utility Boris. I have just installed and run it for the first time. It found 9 programmes that needed an update - but I allowed it to update only 8 of them - the other was Google Earth - the latest version of which will not sync with my Garmin Mapsource PC maps

One of my friends who is much more computer savvy than me has got fed up with Avast tinkering with CCleaner now they own it. 

He is trying to persuade me to dump CCleaner and use this programme instead - which he claims kicks all the boxes without being loaded with adware.

http://www.cybertronsoft.com/products/privacy-eraser/

Anyone in the congregation here want to object before I get a divorce from CC and marry Privacy Eraser

I have downloaded and installed the free version. It seems OK but obviously I don't fully understand it. Exactly the same as C Cleaner is said that edge needed to be closed, and offered to do it, then like C Cleaner it said it was taking a long time and offered to force it. Is this normal? It did the same with IE which is the browser I am running. I would appreciate an opinion from more computer savvy people than me.

I tried it this morning and don't like it. I would especially miss the CCleaner option to keep cookies that you don't want deleted. I like being able to click on a desktop link for this forum (and others) and not have to enter my name and password every time irrespective of which browser I happen to be using. I therefore keep the cookies for sites I frequently access 

On 6/28/2018 at 12:47 PM, AlanHo said:

I tried it this morning and don't like it. I would especially miss the CCleaner option to keep cookies that you don't want deleted. I like being able to click on a desktop link for this forum (and others) and not have to enter my name and password every time irrespective of which browser I happen to be using. I therefore keep the cookies for sites I frequently access 

Since downloading it I hair never once been asked for a password. It is as it was before, instant access as required

I have changed my mind about Privacy Eraser - I have discovered how to save my preferred cookies for each browser and let it delete the rest.

I will run it for a few weeks and if I find it OK I will ditch CCleaner.

• 3 years later...