Vista debut gets delayed - January 2007

Chris

Microsoft said on Tuesday announced a delay of Windows Vista that will mean PCs with the new operating system won't go on sale until January.

The software maker said it will still wrap up development of the operating system this year and make it available to volume licensing customers in November. However, Microsoft said that a delay of a few weeks in Vista's schedule meant that some PC makers would be able to launch this year and others would not. As a result, Windows chief Jim Allchin said the company is delaying the broad launch of the product until January.

"We needed just a few more weeks, and that put us in a bubble...where some partners would be impacted more than others," Allchin said in a conference call with reporters and analysts.

Allchin said that although PC makers were not universal in wanting the delay, there were concerns from some companies that they could not ensure a holiday quarter launch if Microsoft pushed back its development schedule even slightly.

More | Here

Personally, I won't be interested unless I have a new PC with it installed as original O/S. I have seen so many postings here and in the other place, invloving problems with updated Operating systems.

I have seen so many postings here and in the other place, invloving problems with updated Operating systems.

I don't know about other people but I had no trouble upgrading to XP from ME a few years ago.

ME was forever freezing up so I decided to format it and install XP Home and I'm still using it now with hardly any problems.

I will definently be upgrading to Vista but not straight away, however I will be buying a new PC for it as I want a 64 bit PC and this one is only 32 bit.

I have seen so many postings here and in the other place, invloving problems with updated Operating systems.

I don't know about other people but I had no trouble upgrading to XP from ME a few years ago.

ME was forever freezing up so I decided to format it and install XP Home and I'm still using it now with hardly any problems.

I will definently be upgrading to Vista but not straight away, however I will be buying a new PC for it as I want a 64 bit PC and this one is only 32 bit.

I don't see any advantage for me as so many of my programs would not run on 64 bit. I don't install new games etc. I like Office 2000, and several older programs, so a new computer will only be purchased when this NEEDS replacing. I think a lot of people buy just for the sake of buying. I will require the option to run 32 bit programs.

As far as i know a 64 bit cpu will run 32 bit programs with out a problem.

Tony

That may be so: but I found that getting the 64 bit drivers for all my other bits was very problematic and in some cases impossible.

I have no wish to start spending out replacing all my bits and pieces, that all work fine in all version up to XP, just for the sake of yet another O/S :angry:

Didn't have that problem with Linux tho :P

I don't install new games etc.

I do and as these will run better on a 64 bit PC that's why I'm upgrading.

As far as i know a 64 bit cpu will run 32 bit programs with out a problem.

That is what I believe to be true as well.

That may be so: but I found that getting the 64 bit drivers for all my other bits was very problematic and in some cases impossible.

I don't think it will be the same when Vista launches as Microsoft will try to make sure that Vista's launch goes as smoothly as possible and is perhaps one of the reasons why the release date has slipped!

I don't think it will be the same when Vista launches as Microsoft will try to make sure that Vista's launch goes as smoothly as possible and is perhaps one of the reasons why the release date has slipped!

I have my doubts as Microsoft seem to think anything over three years old is obsolete

I have my doubts as Microsoft seem to think anything over three years old is obsolete

Well not in my opinion as they are still supporting Windows 98SE until June this year and that operating system is 8 years old!

Only because there was an uproar among a lot of users in the far east.