Good old Gordon.

catgate

He also missed poor mothers fag fund. It always amuses us when a so called poor family are interviewed on TV. Mom is there with a fag hanging out of her mouth, and the latest wide screen TV is parked in the corner. Expensive kids toys are scattered about. Mom bleats that she can't afford to feed the kids properly and can only afford fish and chips and junk food. Good fresh food costs far less than junk food or fish and chips. We buy in fish and chips as a treat if we are late getting home after a day out. :D

You missed out the most important one:-

Poor Children's Father's Beer Fund.

He also missed poor mothers fag fund. It always amuses us when a so called poor family are interviewed on TV. Mom is there with a fag hanging out of her mouth, and the latest wide screen TV is parked in the corner. Expensive kids toys are scattered about. Mom bleats that she can't afford to feed the kids properly and can only afford fish and chips and junk food. Good fresh food costs far less than junk food or fish and chips. We buy in fish and chips as a treat if we are late getting home after a day out. :D

Isn't this well off topic?

Thos.

... and can only afford fish and chips and junk food. Good fresh food costs far less than junk food or fish and chips. We buy in fish and chips as a treat if we are late getting home after a day out. :D

I didn't know fish and chips was considered "junk food" by some. Last time I checked, Fish and Chips at Gordon Ramsey's Cerise restaurant was ¥3,800 (£18+)...

... and can only afford fish and chips and junk food. Good fresh food costs far less than junk food or fish and chips. We buy in fish and chips as a treat if we are late getting home after a day out. :D

I didn't know fish and chips was considered "junk food" by some. Last time I checked, Fish and Chips at Gordon Ramsey's Cerise restaurant was ¥3,800 (£18+)...

If you read carefully, I said Fish and chips AND junk food. Fish and cips is far from being junk food, what I was implying was that these parents claim to be hard up and cannot afford good fresh food, but CAN afford what has no become almost a luxery item.

Isn't this well off topic?

Thos.

True, but most of us will have seen people in the local supermarket who economise on food, feeding the family with the cheapest basic brands of low nutrition junk they can get, yet can somehow make room in the trolley for enough fags and booze to stock a pub. If it was a simple either/or choice I'd rather Gordon send the money to Mozambique where the recipients would be more worthy and appreciative of the chancellors largesse. But it isn't and I'd still dearly love to know how much debate went into this "Gift" in the house of commons.