N.T.L. Speed upgrade

andsome

I have received an e mail from NTL, saying that they are increasing the speed of their 2MB service to 4MB at NO extra cost. The change will be done automatically by the end of June. Can't be bad. There is NO download limit.

The connection dropping thing has only started recently, in the last week or so. Sometimes I don't have a problem... other times, like tonight it is dropping off by the minute. Although it hasn't done it for the last 15 mins so fingers crossed it will behave itself now

I usually find that everything is OK for ages, and then I get a troublesome day or two. At present everything is that fast it's happening before it has happened. :lol:

Give nellie her MB`s back, you dont really need them ;)

I usually find that everything is OK for ages, and then I get a troublesome day or two. At present everything is that fast it's happening before it has happened. :lol:

Give nellie her MB`s back, you dont really need them ;)

I never touched her. :unsure:

Me too!! I've been blaming my router :paperbag1:

Thanks for that. That could explain my problem as well. My Belkin router stops everything after about 20 minutes. Absolutely nothing works, mouse, keyboard etc. Have to power down, unplug router and modem. Wait 2 minutes, plug modem back in, wait 2 minutes then plug router back in and wait another two minutes and then switch the computer back on. All OK again for another 20 minutes then the same thing happens.

Have now taken the router out of the circuit and and everything is working OK. Unfortunately, that means that my partner cannot access the internet from her computer and has to throw me off this one to check her emails etc.

At the moment I am still blaming the router because without it the system is stable. As soon as I plug the router back in on the circuit the problem starts again.

Nellie & pj123

I had similar problems after the Blueyonder upgrades, thankfully now settled down, I think it was down to BY balancing users on the various UBRs and rerouting around the ones being upgraded. But why it seems to affect users routers I don't know.

It's been ok today and yesterday... when I posted my connection was dropping off almost as soon as I rebooted the router.. it was very frustrating! :censored:

Hey Nellie, Sounds like it might be about time for ya to switch I.S.P's..??! ;)

I know i wouldn't want to keep paying for something that just keeps letting me down all the time .. ;) :(

Ntl are ok most of the time... it is very unusual for there to be a problem with my connection...normally I surf away with no problems at all... the only thing I don't like about NTL is the customer service. Nothing against the guys and gals in the call centre... but actually trying to get to talk to a human being without having to hang on to the phone for about 2 hours is almost impossible. If they outsource the customer service call centres to India or abroad then I will be looking for a new ISP... no doubt about that.

Nel have you tried these "shortcuts". Like everytime you get a prompt. Press the star button. Not sure if it works with NTL customer service. But I have tried it with others and what it does is confuse the system. So you get directed to a "person" and not a "prompt".

And India? They would never go there. :P -cough-

What router do you have there nellie, I have a wireless netgear here and it never drops the connection, although as I say it sometime slows at certain times of the day. I did try a wired belkin once but gave up after trying to config it for 3 weeks !! Never got it to hold a connection at all for more than 5 mins :0

Thinking about it now, it was a D-Link I had the probs with not a belkin, dont think ive worked with a belkin myself. I think your probably best leaving it hard wired with it being your main pc, thats the way I have gone myself here, then the other computers upstairs (my stepsons) are using the wireless encrypted. At least then you have got a quick access to the router in case for any reason the wireless connection goes down.