Connecting two computers

mn6902

I want to hook up two computers using a simple inexpensive method so I can use either one with the same monitor, keyboard, printer, speakers, external modem, etc. I would like to be able to access files on either computer as desired. I don't have home networking, nor do I know if I need it. Both computers would be located side-by-side at the same location as the associated hardware.

I have an old Compaq Presario 5715 with Windows 98 Second Edition and a newer Dell Dimension 8100 with Windows ME (Millenium).

I have an external modem (Motorola SVB4200 VOIP) hooked up to Time-Warner Cable's Roadrunner cable Internet service. I also am connected to Time-Warner's Internet telephone service, and Time-Warner's cable TV.

I have been told that I need an AB switch or a KMV switch (they may be the same thing- I don't know). Maybe I don't need this switch. Can I use a simple cable to connect the two computers? I have been told that I can use a parallel, serial, or USB cable.

Is this correct? Can you give me any advice?

Thank you very much,

Mike Morris

I have deleted your e-mail address as it not very wise to publish it on an open forum. If anyone wants to contact you directly then they can use the links in your profile. This is much safer.

Its actually called a KVM switch rather than a KMV switch.

Short for keyboard, video, mouse switch - a hardware device that enables a single keyboard, video monitor and mouse to control more than one computer one at a time.

Here's a link to details of a 2 port Belkin one :-

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=134802

Key taps, there are no physical switches at all.

Wait a minute, So can both machine's be "on" at the same time.??

How can that be.? Don't they get confused.?? Dosen't that cause issue's with the monitor and other things.?

:unsure: Hhhmmm.?

can both machine's be "on" at the same time.??

Yes. You can hop from one to the other as and when you like.

Don't they get confused.??

No they don't and as long as you use different desktop pictures, you won't either.

Dosen't that cause issue's with the monitor and other things.?

Not yet. As long as both machines are set to the same screen resolutions it shouldn't.

Do note that the commands Ctrl, Ctrl, then 1 or 2 need you to use the keyboard numbers above the main qwerty layout, The number pad to the right of the keyboard doesn't achieve anything.

Not yet. As long as both machines are set to the same screen resolutions it shouldn't.

Yea but, What if one computer has a screwy screen resolution.?

Like say for instance, This other computer i have, When i hook it up to this monitor it renders the desktop all messed up because of the way i have the monitor set up for this computer that i'm on now, And i can't change the settings on the monitor because if i did the screen would be all screwed up on this computer.

I know how to change the display settings in windows, But to get them identical in both systems would be very difficult. And my monitor dosen't have that cool automatic fit to screen function like these new one's do. :(

Do note that the commands Ctrl, Ctrl, then 1 or 2 need you to use the keyboard numbers above the main qwerty layout, The number pad to the right of the keyboard doesn't achieve anything.

Is that how's it's done.? so then you would press CTRL on the left side and CTRL on the right side and then #1 or #2 key all at the same time.? Wow, I think i would have a hard time stretching my fingers like that. ( ha ha ) ;)

But to get them identical in both systems would be very difficult.

It's not something I've had a problem yet, but I've got both PCs set at 1024 x 768. Both PCs display full screen with no need to adjust anything on the screen. If you tried it with two different resolutions, you may end up with one not filling the display area.

As to being difficult, all you need to do is to match the sizes, beyond that it shouldn't need any more tweaking.

No, not Ctrl left/Ctrl right , one. It's literally a sequence, hit Ctrl twice, then either one or two depending on what machine you want to select.

I had a cheap imported KVM switch, mechanical as it were, ran 3 different boxes, linux and 2 XP, each with various desktop resolutions/frequencies with no problems other than ensuring you were switched to the requisite port on boot up or the mouse wouldn't work. there were a few :censored: until I realised :D