My very first attempt

djohn

Well guys, I’ve finally decided to have a website. I’ve used FrontPage in design and code view to learn as I go along. Spent the past two weeks on it and its not very good, [better in I.E. than Firefox at the moment] as I.E. shows the colours of the table borders, Firefox does not. but it is the first time I've tried anything like this.

Its all been a whole different world to me and most of the time I might as well have been trying to learn quantum physics! With a lot of encouragement and tips from my mate, cycoze I managed to get the thing working as well as understanding what I was doing. Its my very first attempt at anything like this and though there is still a lot of work to do, I‘m now enjoying it because I have an idea of what I’m doing.

I reached the stage of the contact page and though I was doing everything right in constructing and linking it, even uploaded it to the site but it would not work because I had used the wrong type of file.

I spent 3 days this week tearing my hair out then admitted defeat, asked cy to have a look at it for me, I really had reached the end of my knowledge and no amount of searching/reading would tell me why the form was correct but would not work. Cy went into my site control panel, spotted the error immediately and fixed it for me. Cy then phoned me late last night to explain what he had done and gave me instructions to back it up to my local drive, second partition, second drive and a disk.

I did this straight away then decided to upload a few photos to play around with. Uploaded from FrontPage and saved ‘ALL’ this of course overwrote what cy had done for me and I was back at square one. I was totally drained, it was 2am and I didn’t know how to fix it. I could not ask cy to do it all over again so went to bed at 3am.

This morning I decided to mail cy and explain what I had done and wait for the explosion, but on opening my mail there was a message from him to say, ‘Hi mate, had a quick look at your site again and saw what had happened, I’ve fixed it for you again, hope you don’t mind?’

What can I say? He’s a very good mate of mine, but he helped without patronising me, gave advice when I asked, gave some pointers and tips along the way, but apart from the contact form, made me get on with it so I would learn. I destroyed his work with one wrong click and he fixed it for me before I had time to ask him.

I’ve thanked him, sent him an email to say thanks again, but I want you all to know how great he’s been with me and what a smashing guy he is. That’s about it guys, my very first attempt is now live, needs more work and I will tidy up as I go along. I’m dead chuffed to have managed this task because it was to me, damned hard work. djohn.org

Most members here will know cycoze from computer trouble forum.

In the words of the football commentators, "The lads done good". It's coming along nicely. Only one problem for me was that it needed several attempts to access. Can this be corrected? All the best for the future with it.

Thank you very much guys for your kind comments. I know there is still a lot to do and for some reason the borders show as maroon in I.E. but not in Firefox. I will work on that one.

Yes thanks Pat, it was a daft thing to do and though it would have been just a matter of altering the pages again before uploading, it is the contact form that is causing the problem. I will have to be very careful with that one. I can swap between local drive and remote site all the other pages as much as I want, but using FrontPage I must not alter the contact page as it will not upload to the site in the correct format unless I use a different editor. :blink:

Sorry about that andsome, not sure why it is behaving like that for you. It loads faster than the google page from my PC because I've kept the front page low in file size, I have had it looked at by a few people and they can't see any problem with the coding and it loads fast for them, but I will look into it.

Photos will take me a little longer to upload than I first thought as I am going to put a couple of pages of thumbnails up then when you see one you want to look at closer just click on it to be taken to the full size image. Loading them up is not too bad, its the hyperlinking of each main image back to the correct thumbnail. (This hyperlinking is still a foreign language to me).

I will start of with some of my sons wedding photos that I never got round to showing everyone here last year. He looks very smart in his number 1's blue uniform with maroon beret. Then I will go on to add photos of my own as and when I take them.

Again thanks to all of you for the kind words, it was hard work for me and though its nice to have helpful pointers and advice that helps me to improve, it would have knocked me back a bit if people had jumped all over it to say, Take it down and get it right before publishing' I knew you lot would not do that though. :)

I know there is still a lot to do and for some reason the borders show as maroon in I.E. but not in Firefox. I will work on that one.

The reason for this is that FrontPage generates IE-specific HTML code, which is not 100% W3C compatible. The question is whether you just want to use the FP design functionality, or if you are willing to learn some HTML coding. It is not very difficult, actually.

The specific reason why you don't see the table border color in other browser are the 'bordercolorlight' and 'bordercolordark' attributes; they are simply not defined in HTML. You may have to play with the 'style' tag instead, but this is a bit early - better learn some basic HTML first.

HTML definition: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/

HTML validator: http://validator.w3.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for explaining that Pat. I couldn't figure out why the border colour was not showing in other browsers. Thanks for the links as well. :)

I've added a bit more by the way for anyone interested. I forgot to show my sons wedding photos last year so there is a small selection of 26 on the site.

It's coming on a treat. Opens immediately now. Improving with each addition. One thing that I would like to see is some kind of titling on the photo's. You have told us on the forum who the people are, but I thinks a brief description on the pages in question would be a useful addition.