I'm sorry ,but I think that Gordon Brown ....

Tankus

I'm sorry ,but I think that Gordon Brown ....is plumbing new depths of desperation ,because he blew the coup ..! (SKY)

First there was the baby excuse for the plotter visit , prezzies my arse

then there was the baby excuse for the laugh

d2af8ef8-3f3e-11db-a37c-0000779e2340.jpg

Now its a cynical use of his dead child for a ratings boost ,grief , yes , how can there not be , but the timing of this interview , and of his statements yesterday kissing blairs arse big time , after he stood schtum for 10 days during the letter floats ......

and that our "Tone " is his "bestest friend" ....!

I'm sorry ..I just don't buy it ..! .and I'm insulted that he expects us too .!

hes raped my pension ,hes stealth-taxed me to the testicles , and hes stood full square behind everything Bliars done ....

its made me into a politically nasty cynic , which I resent , and my blood pressure is not good

we need an election , not a regime change ...

Big ears is not wrong

charles_clark_home_secretary.jpg

Is that indent on big ears' forehead the place they did the lobotomy?

That apart, when I saw that Big Girls Blouse Brown had "choked back tears" I thought exactly the same as you, Tankus. Who do they expect to fall for it time after time.

You don't suppose it him sending all that stuff from Nigeria, do you?

I agree with all the foregoing. Brown has cost me several pounds a month out of my privately saved for pension. At a stroke he knocked between ten and fifteen percent off the value of pension funds. He replaced PEPS with less valuable ISAS'S, another blow to peoples pension savings. I could willingly wring his neck. I don't want or need B'liar or his best friend. No one can now have failed to notice the recent sucking up to B'liar. "Pleas Tone, I worship you, you are great, when can I have your job"?

As you will expect, I disagree totally. The record on the economy compared with the rest of the Western world stands high and will, in history be looked back on as golden years though I probably won't be here for you to congratulate me on my perspicacity.

That is not to say I would welcome him as a Prime Minister.

Thos.

Stuff Thatchers legacy and also Blairs legacy, and any other worthless politician you care to dredge up. What has happened to my legacy and your legacy? It will all have gone, and if by the faintest chance that it has not gone totally, before my demise, which ever set of thieving ba**erds are "in" will ensure that it disappears immediately after my going.

As you will expect, I disagree totally. The record on the economy compared with the rest of the Western world stands high and will, in history be looked back on as golden years though I probably won't be here for you to congratulate me on my perspicacity.

Not often I enter a political debate but I do agree with you Thos. I also think we have had a good ten years, not perfect by any means but good on the whole. I also disagree with those on pensions saying they are much worse off. They may or may not be slightly worse off but other benefits tend to make up for what has been lost.

Unfortunately I have missed out on the last 15 years of my working life as illness and disability stopped me from working. I was very bitter for the first few years, still am on odd occasions that just as everything was falling into place, future settled and earnings of over £30,000 per annum in 1986 with the comfort of knowing they could only go up and up it was taken away from me. I had to adjust very quickly, move away from the capitol and make a new life on a pathetically low income but over the last 10 years it has reached a stage where we can manage to get by each week in relative comfort. Have not had a decent holiday since the 80's except for a few days here and there, don't expect to get one either but we get by and I honestly do not feel disadvantaged. I think the present government must have something to do with this feeling.

....and I honestly do not feel disadvantaged. I think the present government must have something to do with this feeling.

Do be careful to whom you express this view.There are those in government out there who would look upon it as a gross failure on their part if they have left someone "advantaged".

Its not your pensions that hes robbed ,its those who are two thirds or less through their working lives

Not strictly true tankus - my occupational pension was badly hit when he changed the tax rules for pension investments as andsome reported in this thread. I do accept though that people currently in work are likely to be hit worse because they have longer to live. (if you can call it "living").

Its not your pensions that hes robbed ,its those who are two thirds or less through their working lives

Not strictly true tankus - my occupational pension was badly hit when he changed the tax rules for pension investments as andsome reported in this thread. I do accept though that people currently in work are likely to be hit worse because they have longer to live. (if you can call it "living").

I have commented before on the dangers of looking back and remembering the part story. At the time of the change in tax rules for pension investments there were compensating savings in other areas and the pensions funds were so fat with cash they were declaring pension "holidays" and not investing. The Stock Exchange was riding high. The reduction in tax breaks, started by earlier Goverments, was thus a natural way for a Treasury seeking cash for investment in under-invested public services.

Moan by all means, but remember the whole story.

Thos.

... was thus a natural way for a Treasury seeking cash for investment in under-invested public services.

Thos.

Of course it was the fault of the tax payer... for not paying enough tax. It always is. It has nothing to do with the government of the day spending the publics money on their own pet dogma and popularity schemes. It is strange how the shortfall is always in the "core" services, and how those who will suffer, if more money in not taken from us, are elderly, the infirm, women and children, blind women who have dogs with wooden legs, etc.

The problem is that there are no politicians who can bear to see a pile of money without plundering it for their own ends.

I have commented before on the dangers of looking back and remembering the part story. At the time of the change in tax rules for pension investments there were compensating savings in other areas and the pensions funds were so fat with cash they were declaring pension "holidays" and not investing. The Stock Exchange was riding high. The reduction in tax breaks, started by earlier Goverments, was thus a natural way for a Treasury seeking cash for investment in under-invested public services.

Thos.

We are not talking about company pension schemes which as you say were having pension holidays etc. We are talking about private pension schemes that many of us were willing to pay into, at the cost of not having that cash available for current spending at the time. This was so that we could be more secure in our later years. It is schemes such as this that Comrade Brown raided with his tax changes. As i said, my pension fund was reduced overnight, as were thousands of others. I have seen no compensation for this in other areas.

Of course it was the fault of the tax payer... for not paying enough tax. It always is. It has nothing to do with the government of the day spending the publics money on their own pet dogma and popularity schemes. It is strange how the shortfall is always in the "core" services, and how those who will suffer, if more money in not taken from us, are elderly, the infirm, women and children, blind women who have dogs with wooden legs, etc.

The problem is that there are no politicians who can bear to see a pile of money without plundering it for their own ends.

I know you quarrel with the present system of parliamentary democracy, but under this system the government of the day draws money in taxes to pay for services. These may be "pet...and popularity schemes" and, I accept, they are always looking for money just as pressure groups are seeking to extract money from the Treasury. In the end, they are answerable to parliament.

Thos.

We are not talking about company pension schemes which as you say were having pension holidays etc. We are talking about private pension schemes that many of us were willing to pay into, at the cost of not having that cash available for current spending at the time. This was so that we could be more secure in our later years. It is schemes such as this that Comrade Brown raided with his tax changes. As i said, my pension fund was reduced overnight, as were thousands of others. I have seen no compensation for this in other areas.

I was trying to give a resume of the whole picture at that time. Tax breaks on pension schemes had been reduced over the years not only by "Comrade Brown".

Thos.

..... but under this system the government of the day draws money in taxes to pay for services. These may be "pet...and popularity schemes" and, I accept, they are always looking for money ...

Thos.

The problem revolves around the fact that they either have not heard of, or have chosen to ignore, the principle encapsulated in:-

Cut your Coat according to your Cloth. and

Stretch your arm no farther than your sleeve will reach.

The problem revolves around the fact that they either have not heard of, or have chosen to ignore, the principle encapsulated in:-

Cut your Coat according to your Cloth. and

Stretch your arm no farther than your sleeve will reach.

I think you are right in general and neither have the general public, witness the record rate of debt incurred by those who ignore that principle. At least the first one. ( Did you just make up the second, or is it an old Yorkshire saying?)

Thos.

( Did you just make up the second, or is it an old Yorkshire saying?)

Thos.

My mother was a mine of such stuff.

e.g. Never put anything in your ear unless it is your elbow.

Now I am not sure how that fits into the current topic, but I don't care.

Here is another classic interchange of her's with dad one Sunday tea time. He was helping to get tea ready, as he did with most household tasks. He poked his head into the pantry and came out with a tin of spam or something similar and said "Well it looks as though this is all there is." To which mother replied,"On we can't have that." " Why not?" asked dad. "Well I was saving that till we had nothing else?"

Bless her.

( Did you just make up the second, or is it an old Yorkshire saying?)

Thos.

My mother was a mine of such stuff.

e.g. Never put anything in your ear unless it is your elbow.

Now I am not sure how that fits into the current topic, but I don't care.

Here is another classic interchange of her's with dad one Sunday tea time. He was helping to get tea ready, as he did with most household tasks. He poked his head into the pantry and came out with a tin of spam or something similar and said "Well it looks as though this is all there is." To which mother replied,"On we can't have that." " Why not?" asked dad. "Well I was saving that till we had nothing else?"

Bless her.

:lol:

Wonderful.

Now I know where you get your lunacy from. :lol:

Thos.