"Green" routers ???

Boris

Any comments on this ?

I was having a discussion with my cousin over Christmas about the global warming effect of PCs, routers etc. because of their power consumption.

He turns off his whole network (wireless router with PC linked by ethernet cable, wireless laptop and second wireless desktop) when its not being used by one of the devices.

He only turns the router back on when one of the network devices wants to access the net. He says this is far more secure, besides being "green" and cheaper.

I do turn off my PCs at night and when not in use, but I do tend to leave the router on all the time except when we go away. I'm currently on a wired network, but planning to go wireless in a couple of weeks.

Is there any real advantage to what he does ? Does it cause any more wear on the router ?

Boris,

It's my personal opinion that leaving devices powered on all the time is easiest on the equipment and devices that are powered on all the time seem to have less frequent failures.

I say this because in most of the corporate networks I work on, the servers, routers, and switches seem not to fail nearly as often as desktops or home equipment. Some of the difference could be because the corporate equipment is more robust, but I believe some of the reason is that it's always powered on.

There may be some electrical engineers out there with some evidence one way or the other. Just sharing my opinion. :D

Any comments on this ?

He only turns the router back on when one of the network devices wants to access the net. He says this is far more secure, besides being "green" and cheaper.

Is there any real advantage to what he does ? Does it cause any more wear on the router ?

Hi Boris, interesting point you raise. Does anyone think it insecure to leave the router on? :unsure:

I tend to switch my stuff off at night unless there is a reason such as video rendering or catching late night TV programmes for later viewing.

I can see a point in rebooting a router or modem periodically is you have a volatile IP address - which, of course, will be different on reboot.

There are insurance aspects to commercial computer setups. My son's business insurers insist he shuts down all of his machines at times when the premises are unattended. They even wanted to shut down his FAX machine and mains powered (small) telephone switchboard until they had written proof from the manufacturers that they were designed to be always on.

Regarding the "green" aspect, I'm sure it does make a difference but so does leaving domestic appliances on Standby, overuse of heating equipment/air conditioning, unnecessary travelling, breathing, our very existence.

I read somewhere our bodies generate about 100 - 150Watts per hour of heat - this is every moment of our life. The extension of this thought doesn't bear thinking about.

How serious is the alleged global warming effect of leaving TVs etc on standby?

If there is any truth in it, and our government is really concerned about global warming, then it would ration petrol (instead of putting up the tax on it). It would have done something about the profligate waste of power with public and private Christmas lights. It would put restrictions on flying (particularly flights returning a certain person from his perpetual foreign perigrinations). It would ensure rail fares and bus fares were low enough, and services regular and plentiful enough, to encourage people to use public transport.

Well I have been leaving my router on 24/7 ever since upgrading to one (I used to use a modem) and I have had no problems with doing this.

I must admit that although I do turn everything else off, I have never done so with the router. I just had the horrors thinking about some unwelcome visitor sneaking in whilst I wasn't looking!! :shok:

Well I have been leaving my router on 24/7 ever since upgrading to one (I used to use a modem) and I have had no problems with doing this.

I must admit that although I do turn everything else off, I have never done so with the router. I just had the horrors thinking about some unwelcome visitor sneaking in whilst I wasn't looking!! :shok:

You could turn it off and then unplug it from the 'phone line. :flowers: