Solaris 10 DVD *FREE*

What does it do?
Take this opportunity to get familiar with the most advanced operating system on the planet and the tools which enable the highest optimizations and best runtime performance on the Solaris Operating System, bar-none.

Sun Studio software provides optimizing C, C++ and Fortan compilers, visual performance tools, and high performance libraries to enhance your Solaris development environment.

Also look here.

The stuff that comes out of Sun Microsystems (Java, OpenOffice, StarOffice and others) is impressive and I take the view that anything that makes Microsoft take notice is worth encouraging. Remember that Mr Gates and Mr Sun are great personal enemies after Sun won the battle over MS stealing Java JM, modifying it ever so slightly, calling it Windows Virtual Machine and incorporating it as an essential part of Windows.

The best part of Sun software is that most of it is free or, there is a free version of it for the personal user.

Also look here.

The stuff that comes out of Sun Microsystems (Java, OpenOffice, StarOffice and others) is impressive and I take the view that anything that makes Microsoft take notice is worth encouraging. Remember that Mr Gates and Mr Sun are great personal enemies after Sun won the battle over MS stealing Java JM, modifying it ever so slightly, calling it Windows Virtual Machine and incorporating it as an essential part of Windows.

The best part of Sun software is that most of it is free or, there is a free version of it for the personal user.

I am ever so impressed that there are people who know what all this is about. I am afraid I don't.

It looks to me to be an alternative to Microsoft's Windows Operating system, but I cannot easily see what advantages it offers apart from the fact it is free. But as I have Windows working well, and most people will also have Windows pre=installed, I cannot see what I would gain from Solaris.

But good luck to those who use it. Competition is good.

Thos.

I don't think Solaris is very much use to the "average" user like you or me but, for commercial and enthusiast's use I think it could be very interesting. A few years ago, I counted myself as a computer enthusiast but I think I'm getting a bit ancient for that now.

• 2 months later...
I don't think Solaris is very much use to the "average" user like you or me but, for commercial and enthusiast's use I think it could be very interesting. A few years ago, I counted myself as a computer enthusiast but I think I'm getting a bit ancient for that now.

I installed it and had to jump through hoops to get it to connect to the internet, as pops said it is more for commercial use than the home user.

It also also messed up GRUB and I had to manually edit it.

So if any one is thinking of trying this out and just runs Windows my advice is leave well alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... does it run 'faster' the XP? Cause I am thinking of installing it on an XP PC, as I don't need it to access the internet, I just need it to run Bridge on. (For my Grandma)

Oh! I just applied for it (1 minute ago)!

Come on!

Only one month to go!

• 4 weeks later...