What is linux?

Irene

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The sudo command gives you temporary superuser privelage for only that command. The su command gives you superuser for the entire terminal session.

And why are you giving newbies terminal commands when Envy is located in the main menu of Mint? Most new users complain about having to use the terminal and that is why they don't stick with it. In reality the terminal only needs to be used maybe 10% of the time and that is if you are doing some heavy tweaking to the system.

For example I use root nautilus to do file system stuff in superuser privelages without using terminal. I also have a root terminal button in the main menu to go to terminal in su mode without having to type it all the time.

So in the end please tell new users or people curious about linux the more commonly known method, that being a GUI method they would be more comfortable with. Most new users are just going to get confused with terminal concepts. If they really want to learn those concepts they can learn them at their own pace.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

and some distros tend to be very very powerful but yet easy to use. I personally recommend Ubuntu and Fedora. Both are easy to use and have the ability to mount your hard drive easily as long as you shut down your system properly. But there are other ways of getting around that.

I use Linux Xandros works very well at least on this version i can get the Xine DVD player to play DVD'S never had any luck with other Linux versions with the required file.

I do have Xandros and I really didn't like it because it was rather slow for me. Then again I have found that every Linux that used the K Desktop Enviornment (KDE) was slow. In some was Xandros reminded me of Windows in the sense of the time it took to setup and how it ran. Yes, it does have the codecs but that's what the price is really. Granted, this was when I was first learning how to use Linux and it did help because I was familiar with the setup but I now choose the Gnome enviornment because I think it is faster and looks better.

Just my 2 cents.

• 4 months later...

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. for any computer user that needs just internet, office, photo editing and little else Ubuntu is a great choice. you don't need to have antivirus software, it's perfectly compatible with windows computers, and thanks to things like Wine 99% of windows programs will run on ubuntu. best of all it's free to download, install and modify.

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. for any computer user that needs just internet, office, photo editing and little else Ubuntu is a great choice. you don't need to have antivirus software, it's perfectly compatible with windows computers, and thanks to things like Wine 99% of windows programs will run on ubuntu. best of all it's free to download, install and modify.

What makes you think that???

Look here for a start

In three years of using Linux andsome, I have never had a virus, the same cannot be said about Windows,(despite running AV and firewalls).

Virus writers like to target the most people they can, so Windows will always be the main target, unless Mac OS or Linux becomes a lot more popular.

In three years of using Linux andsome, I have never had a virus, the same cannot be said about Windows,(despite running AV and firewalls).

Virus writers like to target the most people they can, so Windows will always be the main target, unless Mac OS or Linux becomes a lot more popular.

I only ever had one virus several years ago, before I knew about AV programs and firewalls. Since I installed both many years ago, I too have never had a virus. Operating systems, web browsers and e mail etc are all a matter of personal choice of course, it just amuses me how smug some people sound who have stopped using Windows products. Nothing personal implied of course. :D :D

The two highlighted statements are highly contradictory.

Actually Wine cannot run 99% of Windows programmes. But it can run some of them.

Malware can target a specific programme and can infect it if it's running on Wine. However they cannot do any harm to the Linux system because they have no access to it. So in worst case scenario - a Windows based programme gets infected but the system itself is safe.

The 'problem' is that its difficult for a compromised programme to get access to the system . Firefox under Linux can get malware but the hacker cannot use that to comprimise the system.

Of course through social engineering one can infect any system. If a Linux user actively downloads malware , gives it administrative rights and runs it then the system will be infected.

(this guy actually tried to run some famous viruses on wine)

I too have never had a virus. Operating systems, web browsers and e mail etc are all a matter of personal choice of course, it just amuses me how smug some people sound who have stopped using Windows products.

yeah but , aren't you what they call smug there yourself keith or kevin or whatever your name is...???

Nothing personal implied of course. :D :D

then why did you say the above...?

how so...? i think you mean that they have nothing to do with eachother...

it was stated on the Wine website that if it'll run in win 95 it'll run in Wine...

If 99% of all Windows programs can run on Linux, then so will 99% of malware. In this view, to say that Linux doesn't need antivirus seems pretty contradictory to me.

i think you are forgeting that Wine is a virtual system or "emulator"...

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-9436a59348...c46a6d2ff0e8185

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I have expanded my distros to include OpenSuse running KDE 4.0 and so far I like it. getting my wireless to work was a bit of a pain but i like using kde right now.

hello i installed Suse/Mint/PcLinux/Ubuntu and i could not connect to my wireless home network on any of them?

you say you managed to connect wireless,could you please inform me of how you managed it?

thank you.

• 1 month later...

Your best bet is Ubuntu. You should be able to go to System>Administration> Hardware Drivers ( I think it's under administration, If not check the others) But your looking for Hardware drivers.. Once there, Your hardware should be automaticly listed, You'll need to connect to the Internet to download the drivers though. It's automatic when it comes to installing them. IF your hardware is not listed under hardware drivers well than, your hardware is probably not supported.

• 10 months later...

Linux is a operating system that was designed to provide personal computer users a free or very low-cost operating system comparable to traditional and usually more expensive Unix systems. It has a reputation of very efficient & fast-performing system.Linux is popular among users already familiar with Unix, it remains far behind Windows in numbers of users.

Linux is a operating system that was designed to provide personal computer users a free or very low-cost operating system comparable to traditional and usually more expensive Unix systems. It has a reputation of very efficient & fast-performing system.Linux is popular among users already familiar with Unix, it remains far behind Windows in numbers of users.

Thank you Maria.

Now I understand.