Virgin doubles cable bandwidth to 20Mbit

Chris

THE NEWLY RE-BRANDED cable operator Virgin, previously known as NTL:Telewest, has officially announced plans to double the maximum speed of UK cable-based internet services.

Virgin will introduce a new 20Mbit cable internet offering, up from the previous 10Mbit product, in June. The company has already undertaken successful user beta trials of the 20Mbit service.

The company has also announced plans to increase the product range to include a incredibly fast 50Mbit service.

'As an end-to-end network owner, cable has inbuilt advantages in the quality of broadband service that we offer,' the company said in a financial results statement this week.

The statement continued, 'Customers can receive consistent speeds and a top speed of 10Mbit is available throughout our broadband addressable areas. We will be increasing this to 20Mbit in June and we are also currently conducting a residential trial of a 50Mbit broadband service.'

More | Here

Virgin will introduce a new 20Mbit cable internet offering, up from the previous 10Mbit product, in June.

Well that really isn't that great...!

Mb - Megabit, sometimes written as Mbit. One Megabit is one-eighth of one Megabyte. Thus, 400 Mbps = 50 MB/sec.

MB - A megabyte (MB) is a measurement of units of memory or storage space on a computer. Each character, or keystroke, takes up one byte. Mega means million, so a megabyte is a million bytes. 1 MB = 1 Million Bytes (actually, 1,048,576 bytes). 1 KB = 1 Thousand Bytes, or 1 Kilobyte (1,024 bytes).

So then the 20 Mbit here = Something like 5 MB's /sec ..

And also , Is that Upload speed , Download speed , or a combination of both...???

And? That's still the faster than any connection you'll get here so far...

And also , Is that Upload speed , Download speed , or a combination of both...???

That's the downstream speed, upstream at the moment is still a crappy 384kbps as far as I know, but I'm told that's going to be upgraded soon...

[p.s., I'm on the 10Mb now, and will automatically be upgraded to the 20... :P]

And? That's still the faster than any connection you'll get here so far...

That's the downstream speed, upstream at the moment is still a crappy 384kbps as far as I know, but I'm told that's going to be upgraded soon...

[p.s., I'm on the 10Mb now, and will automatically be upgraded to the 20... :P]

What are you paying for that per month , Cause i can get faster than that here for like $50 or so a month... I just cannot afford that now or else i would do it...

What are you paying for that per month , Cause i can get faster than that here for like $50 or so a month... I just cannot afford that now or else i would do it...

There isn't anything faster than that over here. ;)

It's part of a package... phone (with a great calls package), cable TV, and broadband internet for £40 a month. B)

It's part of a package... phone (with a great calls package), cable TV, and broadband internet for £40 a month. B)

No.! I mean over here in the U.S.A. .., I can get faster than that...

broadband internet for £40 a month

And what would that translate to in US dollars..?

I have been using NTT's ADSL service for many years, starting with 1.5MB, then upgrading with each increase that became available (8M, 12M, 24M) then stopped here. Each time I needed to install a new modem, all that hassle - I simply don't think I'll ever need 40M or higher. (The cost is almost the same for each service - about ¥2,800/month.) Upload speed is 1M.

The point is: what if you have a great download speed connection, but the download server at the other side cannot handle it? I have recently tried downloading some large movies; they all timed out after a few hours. Not because of my connection speed, but the download server.

I use Virgin, previously NTL, and at present am on 4MB. Speed checks usually show that I get round about 3.94MB download and 0.395MB upload. Any idea if there are plans to upgrade this service at no extra charge?

For Virgin Media 10mb broadband I pay £35 / month. But I know that if you want the packages etc [TV/BB/Phone/Mob] you can get great deals if you give them a phone.

Personally the complete package does not interest me as I already have a mobile phone and it would be a waste to get another one with Virgin as I then lose out on what I paid for the original mobile phone. :blink:

The landline phone, well I don’t make many phone calls so, no point. Although for what BT charge for line rental…I bet it’s a tasty offering to some folk.

Their TV service looks exceptionally great. However they recently [yesterday] had 4 [?] SKY channels took off air because of a dispute over how much SKY wanted [££m] from Virgin to show the certain channels. Only one of the channels I would like [sKY ONE], the others wouldn’t interest me, but I never had so if I did go for a Virgin TV package the channel wouldn’t be there to lose as I never had it in the first place. :blink:

They seem to have all 4 products [which others are trying to do] and offer a billion packages [confusing?] and cheaply as well [well there top package is £125 / month].

Yes and even with ADSL2 I bet that on average cable speeds will still be faster than the average ADSL2 speeds. Shoving 24mbps over copper is easy if you live close to the exchange.

No.! I mean over here in the U.S.A. .., I can get faster than that...

broadband internet for £40 a month

And what would that translate to in US dollars..?

$78

But in Sweden and Finland [i think] you can get 100mbps for £20; so do we really need to go there?

I have been using NTT's ADSL service for many years, starting with 1.5MB, then upgrading with each increase that became available (8M, 12M, 24M) then stopped here. Each time I needed to install a new modem, all that hassle - I simply don't think I'll ever need 40M or higher. (The cost is almost the same for each service - about ¥2,800/month.) Upload speed is 1M.

The point is: what if you have a great download speed connection, but the download server at the other side cannot handle it? I have recently tried downloading some large movies; they all timed out after a few hours. Not because of my connection speed, but the download server.

Yes good point! It takes two to tango. I can [on a good day] achieve just over 1MB/s from Microsoft. Not just them of course. When I was on the 20mb trial from NTL [as they were then] I was getting 2MB/s from Microsoft.

However the same could be said about why make a 300BHP engine with a top speed of 155MPH, but the highest speed that car could ever travel [legally] on English roads is 70MPH?

It’s about bragging rights and future services.

There was documentary on the BBC last year about UK ISP’s and how they all compete and what they offer. Needless to say they went across the pond over to France [of all places] where they had a [what seemed like] an excellent TV service through broadband. Watch a movie in one room and one in another and also be downloading something else in another room. It was cheap compared to what we pay over here JUST for broadband.

I use Virgin, previously NTL, and at present am on 4MB. Speed checks usually show that I get round about 3.94MB download and 0.395MB upload. Any idea if there are plans to upgrade this service at no extra charge?

No idea.

But based on what NTL did then yes you could get the next one up as a free upgrade. But with Virgin who knows?

even with ADSL2 I bet that on average cable speeds will still be faster than the average ADSL2 speeds. Shoving 24mbps over copper is easy if you live close to the exchange.

Agreed and you can't really compare one with the other as fibre optics is a much newer technology compared to using your telephone line with it's inherent distance limitations!

It's like comparing a ferrari to a mini :rolleyes:

I prefer girls in minis to girls in Ferraris.

(oh, I don't know, though.)

Thos. :rolleyes:

How about a girl in a mini in a Ferrari. :D

The stuff of dreams.

:D

Thos.

You two would never catch her.

The stuff of dreams.

Thos.

No. And who would want to catch a dream? They turn into nightmares.

Thos.

The stuff of dreams.

Thos.

No. And who would want to catch a dream? They turn into nightmares.

Thos.

BRILLIANT! :D