Anyone Know About Ram Drive?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry all,

Freeserve connection dropped away to about 10b/sec last night and then died completely and couldn't reconnect (tried 6 times) - so couldn't reply.

This is for IE6, but as far as I can recall 5.5 is similar.

Go to your IE Properties

General tab

Temporary Internet files

Settings - Temporary internet files folder

Current Location

Pick whatever size you want for it in MB

Move folder to whatever drive your new turbocharged Ram Drive is called (Z for madboy)

Click OK

Don't forget that if you do this - then

1. ALL your TIF stuff goes when you turn the machine off- NOWT is saved.

2. If you subsequently disable/do away with the RAM drive, you'll have to redirect TIF to its original home (I think)

All my notes were on the H/D that went phut ! - so this is all purely from memory !

I haven't got one set up at the moment under ME as now having XP2000+, 512Mb PC2700 and ATA-133 H/D - this thing is stupefyingly fast anyway - compared with the old P2 400, 192mb PC100 and ATA-33 wreck.

Boris & Madboy.

I've been following all the instructions. Iv'e got the ram-drive loaded and my cache files going to it, but I cannot change it's size in regedit as there is no parameters folder. 

Please help. :blink:

popeye

I've never actually used the free RAM drive utility or XP so can't really help - sorry.

I think there are some notes on the AR Ramdisk site or in the help ?

Boris can you be a bit more specific about how you do this in W98?  And is this ram drive just used for surfing??

Sorry for being a bit dim but you know me.  :rolleyes:

Nel,

I would NEVER call you "dim" :rolleyes:

Because of the Win9... size limitation and my limited memory on the old PC, I only ever used it for surfing, but with XP and the other AR Ram utility - you could run proper games in it (very quickly !) I understand (but never got to try this out ).

Good gaming site should provide info on this ?

Not sure how far back you go re. DOS, but ramdrives were about ages ago (admittedly of a limited size). I had one in very early 90's (64k? in a 1Mb 286 - I think?)

In 95/98/ME its just created when you boot (like a virtual drive ? - and disappears when you power down.

Advantage is obviously the speed, compared to writing/reading to disk.

Disadvantage is you lose everything in them when the PC goes off.

sorry.......... can you start at the begining again for W98.......... think I missed something along the way somewhere!!  :huh:

Just edit your Config.sys file

Adding device=\ramdrive.sys [size in kb] /E

e.g. If Win98 is in your C:\windows

device=c:\windows\ramdrive.sys 12288 /E

This ramdrive is then just created when you boot.

It goes when you switch off.

To disable it, just comment it out

change config.sys to REM device=c:\windows\ramdrive.sys 12288 /E

The Ramdrive.sys line must follow the Himem.sys line, as I said previously.

Guest Nellie2

I started with W95 and kept breaking it........I am not too au fait with dos apart from fdisk and the odd command for checking directories and things.....so....slowly now......once upon a time there was a computer.............. :)

Whoops...... you posted while I was posting. :)

Guest Nellie2

Just one thing before I try this........ how ever big you make the drive is that RAM that isn't available for the system anymore??

I have 512 mb RAM....... what do you recommend??

Just one thing before I try this........ how ever big you make the drive is that RAM that isn't available for the system anymore??

I have 512 mb RAM....... what do you recommend??

It won't work with more than 16MB. - This was for Win95 - may now be 64MB ?

The parameter I gave in my example should give you 12MB RAM drive so you'll still have 500MB proper RAM for normal stuff.

Not having had anything other than a C:\ H/D and D:\CD-ROM drives before, I don't know what it'll do with the drive letters with multiple H/Ds or Partitioned H/Ds.

I think mine was Drive E:\ but I can't remember (only 6 weeks ago :o )

One for the brave ??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

This article covers the process of installing your TCP/IP networking system files on a very fast Windows 95/98/98SE RAM drive.

http://dslnuts.com/ramdrive.shtml

"It can cause total software failure. Make sure to backup any desired files, and/or Operating System before attempting this"

Not having had anything other than a C:\ H/D and D:\CD-ROM drives before, I don't know what it'll do with the drive letters with multiple H/Ds or Partitioned H/Ds.

This answers the drive lettering question.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1

After all logical drives on the hard disk(s) have been assigned drive letters, drive letters are assigned to drives installed using DRIVER.SYS or created using RAMDRIVE.SYS in the order in which the drivers are loaded in the CONFIG.SYS file. Which drive letters are assigned to which devices can be influenced by changing the order of the device drivers or, if necessary, by creating "dummy" drive letters with DRIVER.SYS

More good links ?

To create a RAM drive you can use these free tools :-

MS KB Q257405 Win2k experimental RAMDRIVE.SYS

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1

Windows 9x has it own DOS driver, RAMDRIVE.SYS which is copied to your hdd at install. The file is in your C:\WINDOWS folder along with the file MSDOSDRV.TXT which tells you have to use it.

MS KB Q142546

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q142/5/46.ASP

XMSDSK.EXE v1.9i is an extended version of RAMDRIVE.SYS for Win9x (DOS), which makes it possible to specify which drive to use for RAM-drive

http://www.geocities.com/sweaty2/tweak/win...iles/xmsdsk.zip

AR RAM Disk - supports 2000/XP

http://www.arsoft-online.de/products/ramdisk/

Guest Nellie2

Boris you are a star....... I will have a good look at those with a fresh brain tomorrow. I was up rather early today and I have had a busy afternoon what with one thing and another........ I think I'm a bit cabbaged now and it isn't even 10:30pm :ph34r: !!!

Boris ....ace post....... good instructions........

I'm having a prob in my AR (XP) ram drive ......

Its there in my control panel , Ive set it to 40mb , but when I go into my temp internet settings change it to drive "z" I cannot set the size ....the slider (Mb) size does not work , and the up down tab will only move between 0 and 1 mb , but regardless of what I put in , when I apply , A window comes up and states that I must set the memory value between 0~1 and will not apply....?

Any Ideas anybody ?