Internet Explorer or Firefox or Opera?

Apollo1020

Maybe my post doesn't belongs in here, but still - I don't know where else to ask.

I want to finally know, which web browser is the best... and why.

I find Internet Explorer most good looking, Firefox is ok and Opera - never tried. What features are not included in Opera Trial (I know, that Opera costs money)? Who uses what browser? Why?

Those answers would be really helpful for me. Thanks.

P.S. If you could tell me exactly why each browser is the best - I would appriciate this! Currently I'm on Firefox, maybe I'll try Opera Trial soon, but first I need to know what Trial has not, what full Opera has. Since there's no poll option - I want as many people as possible to answer on this. Thanks again.

This subject has been aired a number of times here.

It is all a matter of personal choice - which one you like the best. Each browser has its fans and its detractors.

The best thing to do is try them and judge for yourself.

BTW - Opera is free so there is no reason not to try it out. It is a long time since it was paid-for software. click here.

As pops says, it is entirely up to you to try things out and make your own decision. Pretty soon we can expect the I.E. haters to come on and sing the praises of Opera or Firefox. We have been through this discussion so many times before, and it still boils down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE. We have even had a silly poll organised by someone only recently. :D

Andsome , I am not an IE hater, but I use Opera and have done for some years on Linux & Windows, but as you say It is a matter of preference.

If you run XP you still need IE to download the Microsoft updates.

The only real advantage that Opera has over IE or Firefox at the moment is speed dial.

And as pops says it is free not paid for.

Andsome , I am not an IE hater, but I use Opera and have done for some years on Linux & Windows, but as you say It is a matter of preference.

If you run XP you still need IE to download the Microsoft updates.

The only real advantage that Opera has over IE or Firefox at the moment is speed dial.

And as pops says it is free not paid for.

Alan, I would never accuse you of being an IE hater. You always talk sound common sense. As all on here so far have said, it's down to individual choice. I think you will agree however, that on more than one occasion, those of us who are happy with IE have had our intelligence brought into question by some of the FF lovers. I tried and rejected FF, but fully appreciate that it has a strong fan base. :D

Maybe my post doesn't belongs in here, but still - I don't know where else to ask.

I want to finally know, which web browser is the best... and why.

I find Internet Explorer most good looking, Firefox is ok and Opera - never tried. What features are not included in Opera Trial (I know, that Opera costs money)? Who uses what browser? Why?

Those answers would be really helpful for me. Thanks.

P.S. If you could tell me exactly why each browser is the best - I would appriciate this! Currently I'm on Firefox, maybe I'll try Opera Trial soon, but first I need to know what Trial has not, what full Opera has. Since there's no poll option - I want as many people as possible to answer on this. Thanks again.

A long time ago a very wise friend told me that before I could get a satisfactory answer to a question it was necessary to formulate the question in an understandable way. A way that defined as precisely as possible what I wanted to know.

He then went on to point out that once I had formulated the question properly there was a distinct possibility that I may be able to answer it myself, having sorted out all the "fluff".

I point this out because all web browsers are the worst....at something, and all web browsers are the best..at something.

This friend also pointed out that it was not possible to describe to someone the taste of an apple. There is only one way to find that out. It may be described as sweet, or fruity or perhaps sometimes sour but there is only one way to know its taste.

They are all free so give them all a try and make your own mind up. :)

IE has a lot of bad press online (padding/security/M$ etc.) though it does wOrK !

Opera is quick (the add ons leave a lot to be desired) and it leaves things in when you uninstall (Spybot S&D still scans the bookmarks for it and it was uninstalled over 12 months ago!).

I prefer FF with it's extensions and customization really. The ad blockers are brill and it's all FREE and open for updates etc.

Like they say "it's a personal thing really" and everyone likes different ones for different reasons. ;)

• 6 months later...
They are all free so give them all a try and make your own mind up. :)

IE has a lot of bad press online (padding/security/M$ etc.) though it does wOrK !

Opera is quick (the add ons leave a lot to be desired) and it leaves things in when you uninstall (Spybot S&D still scans the bookmarks for it and it was uninstalled over 12 months ago!).

I prefer FF with it's extensions and customization really. The ad blockers are brill and it's all FREE and open for updates etc.

Like they say "it's a personal thing really" and everyone likes different ones for different reasons. ;)

In my opinion Opera is the best as far as speed is concerened but firefox is having very good addons. IE 7 has improved alot from the previous versions but not suitable for slow connections. Secondly I heard that malware can attack through IE but rarely through Opera or Firefox.Because IE is part of Windows.

I feel that IE is more prone to malware attackers purely because it is the most widely used web browser. What proportion of people outside of the cognoscenti, such as us, know that there are alternatives?

The malware creators know this and produce their antisocial output accordingly. After all, what is the point of demonstrating your (supposed) programming skills and disruptive demeanour if it isn't going to reach the widest audience possible. It is exactly for this reason that other operating systems like Linux and Apply Mac don't suffer from malware to nearly the same extent as Windows. They aren't intrinsically more secure, it's just that nobody bothers making the malware for them.

I have to disagree with you about Linux & Macs not being safer pops.

They have a different file structure, and in Linux unless you are daft enough to always run as ROOT, an infection can only wipe out the program it is made for, it cannot affect the kernel.

I am sure that if anyone could be bothered to do it they would find ways of exploiting vulnerabilities of these operating systems, notwithstanding the supposed built-in impermeability.

Each version of Windows that is issued comes with the claim that it is safer and more secure that the previous version yet, within minutes, someone, somewhere has made an item of malware for it. That then becomes a trickle then a flood. Even when the engine was changed from MSDOS to CalderraDOS (or NT) it made little difference to the security, once the "gremlins" had got a look at it.

• 3 months later...

I switched to FF from IE a couple of years ago and have enjoyed using it until recently when I began to suffer from the problem being reported all over the web by FF users: it slows down after time, especially once you are inside a website and want to move through the site's pages. Having a fast PC and loads of RAM does not solve this. Of course there's a range of techie theories out there on how to sort it, but basically what the best of them seem to have concluded is that FF really needs a whole redesign.

I can't wait.

I've just installed Opera, imported my very extensive list of bookmarks, and had a good play with it. Straight away the speed difference is massive and there's no sign of the problem I was experiencing with FF. This coupled to Opera's good reputation on security, its overall clean-cut look, and its plain-english and simple-lists approach to menus and the help section, etc., has me well enthused.

Do let me know if you think I'm missing something ...

:good:

I switched to FF from IE a couple of years ago and have enjoyed using it until recently when I began to suffer from the problem being reported all over the web by FF users: it slows down after time, especially once you are inside a website and want to move through the site's pages. Having a fast PC and loads of RAM does not solve this. Of course there's a range of techie theories out there on how to sort it, but basically what the best of them seem to have concluded is that FF really needs a whole redesign.

I can't wait.

I've just installed Opera, imported my very extensive list of bookmarks, and had a good play with it. Straight away the speed difference is massive and there's no sign of the problem I was experiencing with FF. This coupled to Opera's good reputation on security, its overall clean-cut look, and its plain-english and simple-lists approach to menus and the help section, etc., has me well enthused.

Do let me know if you think I'm missing something ...

:good:

Is it one af Puccini's? :D

No problems here and I've been using Firefox for nearly 2 years :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article: Browser Smackdown. Have a look if your still not sure which one is for you :D

*It's a bit old, but the main points are covered.

For the ones who have some time on their hands, Wikipedia has an amazing article comparing browsers against each other in every way imaginable. link

Also, a Browser Speed comparison test can be found here

Browser web standards are tested and listed here -Notice how many tests IE fails (I am not bashing IE. Just pointing it out :P)

My personal preference is Firefox. The #1 reason Firefox tops my list is because its Open Source. Something Opera cannot offer. If Opera was open, I would probably switch.