Mozilla Firefox

firefox-title.jpg

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 Released

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 has been released. Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux in more than 70 different languages, Firefox 3.5 is the most recent major Mozilla browser release since the launch of Firefox 3 in June 2008.

Firefox 3.5 can be downloaded from the Firefox product page or via software update. More information can be found in the Firefox 3.5 Release Notes.

The Firefox Features page at mozilla.com lists the new and improved features in Firefox 3.5

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Thanks Pat you beat the updater on my Firefox!

BTW I do wish the IE Tab inventers could keep up with the new versions of FF as many of the newspapers are just not good with FF itself and banners etc override the text in places.

:angry:

Having problems with our weather channel and I use IE6 which is insecure along with 7 & 8 and both the latter give something on my computer the heebie jeebies so cant update if I want to stay sane:D

Mention weather as due to AGW or Earthquakes shifting the earth's axis - take you pick - ours is the coldest winter to date and that was recorded last year and now broken that record if this is AGW - well back to front down here in the Southern Hemisphere! Fed up with every night below freezing except 2 in the last 2 months!

And the price of electricity and gas rising as are you all.:censored:

The original IE Tab is dead - uninstall it.

Use the new IE Tab 2 from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/92382/ - it works great!

I wish I could get a little taste of your winter - we have currently 36°C here, and it seems to get hotter every day!

The original IE Tab is dead - uninstall it.

Use the new IE Tab 2 from https://addons.mozil...ox/addon/92382/ - it works great!

I wish I could get a little taste of your winter - we have currently 36°C here, and it seems to get hotter every day!

thanks for that Pat will do.

I was reading today that Argentina had overnight of -14C and people have died of the cold which is a record.

We moved down to Tasmania from the mainland of Oz as very hot and average here is 21C in summer and cold winter and good wine growing country too. Giving the French a run for their money:D

• 7 months later...

Firefox 3.6.14 is now available.

Details and download http://www.mozilla.c...4/releasenotes/

Firefox 3.x users can use Help | Check for Updates to install the update.

Thanks Pat BTW have you or anyone else downloaded and tried Firefox 4.0 Beta 12? I am always wary of beta programs since this computer is a bit touchy it seems. Goes banana's on updates of new versions often and dont they all come at once.

(I have been having a lot of trouble with PSI 2.0 and dare not try it as spent the last day or so in safe mode working out which program was the gremlin etc. and have to catch up whilst working well)

BTW have you or anyone else downloaded and tried Firefox 4.0 Beta 12?

When I was still working I was always trying out every beta that came my way. Now that I am no longer working, I have lost any interest in trying beta software.

I will try it when it's fully released.

• 3 weeks later...

Firefox 4.0 released.

Details and download http://www.mozilla.c...0/releasenotes/

Firefox 3.x users can use Help | Check for Updates to install the update.

I updated via FF and got 3.6.16 and then a view of FF4 and it advises that It needs, I think, more than my computer has.

Mine is Intel Pentium Dual [email protected], 1GB RAM, Intel G33/G21 chipset.

Looks like needs more than 1.8GHz and does this mean I cant run FF4?

Not too worried as looking at it on their site it looks to me to be a vast departure from the familiar Firefox 1,2 & 3.

Looks like [it] needs more than 1.8GHz and does this mean I cant run FF4?

I don't see any 1.8GHz requirement; http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0/system-requirements/ only lists Pentium 4 or newer, which I think you do have.

I installed FF 4.0 RC2 last week; I liked it, but it had some terrible side-effects on my bookshop project: all data entries ended up twice in the database. I had to revert to FF 3.6. Not sure yet how and why that occurred. But I will stay clear of FF4 until this is clearly diagnosed.

Looks like [it] needs more than 1.8GHz and does this mean I cant run FF4?

I don't see any 1.8GHz requirement; http://www.mozilla.c...m-requirements/ only lists Pentium 4 or newer, which I think you do have.

I installed FF 4.0 RC2 last week; I liked it, but it had some terrible side-effects on my bookshop project: all data entries ended up twice in the database. I had to revert to FF 3.6. Not sure yet how and why that occurred. But I will stay clear of FF4 until this is clearly diagnosed.

As you say I do have the necessary requirements in that is say 512 RAM and I have 1 GB so downloaded and it was not a shining example of success so dumped it and have gone back to FF 3.6.16 which works beautifully. Not so sure I like the new look either and still having problems with the IE Tab 2 options crashing and always with new lose some of the good add ons as not compatible etc.

Can get old versions including 3.6.16 here but sadly seems last of the 3's.

will we all be hunting for a new browser do you think because when they change something so much as this appears to be - usually means we all move on.
/>http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/

Version 4 loaded.

Improvement over the 3 version? I don't think so. Extra the bar at the top of the page telling you nothing useful, wasting space on an already overcrowded page. Most of the buttons are rearranged or hidden.

I can't see that it's faster (which is not a problem to me, anyway) but it's certainly frustrating remembering the new button locations.

After the first download of V.4 proved so trying, I reverted to the previous version via System Restore - big mistake. By doing this, all the desktop icons were disabled. Not known for my infinite patience in rectifying problems not of my fault, I re-installed from my backup.

I have it installed successfully on another machine but I an not keen on suggesting its widespread use - especially to users who don't have an up-to-date backup or image of their "C" drive.

• 1 month later...

Ehh, I've been using FF4 for a while now. If you don't need app tabs, or tab groups in the default install, I see no reason to upgrade. Aside from maybe a worry of newer addons not being compatible with 3.x. Sure, FF4 looks modern and feels modern, but it also just feels like a clone of every other major browser nowadays. Some of the nasty bad qualities of FF4 include not clearing viewed pages from the ram until the session is terminated, and not being able to (by default) save tabs between sessions. However you can 'revert' that to the 3.x method of tabsaving via about:config -> browser.showQuitWarning;true (old toggle is false, you want true.)

• 1 month later...

Think carefully before downloading the latest version.

As it is at present, a number of addons have not been updated and are excluded from Firefox 5. This includes Google toolbar and a number of others which I have become used to. These are being worked on but if your rely on them, it may be better to stick with the older version for a while.

I'm finding that the disabling of the add-ons is VERY inconvenient - so much so I'm using IE.

Why didn't the powers that be at Firefox give some prior notice to the developers/owners of the various add-ons to allow a smooth transition to the new version.

BTW, even ignoring the lack of add-ons, I'm finding FF5 very little different to the previous versions and a complete waste of time.

I'm finding that the disabling of the add-ons is VERY inconvenient - so much so I'm using IE.

Why didn't the powers that be at Firefox give some prior notice to the developers/owners of the various add-ons to allow a smooth transition to the new version.

BTW, even ignoring the lack of add-ons, I'm finding FF5 very little different to the previous versions and a complete waste of time.

It seems to me from this and past topics that FF is nothing but trouble. I am glad I got rid of it years ago. IE9 does everything that I require of it and is fast too, as was IE8 before it.B) B) B) B) B)

I'm finding that the disabling of the add-ons is VERY inconvenient ...

I was unable to install the Google Toolbar on FF5, so I looked for a solution.

Try the following

• in the address bar type
    about:config

• click on the I'll be careful button
  • right-click on any line, then add a new boolean 'extensions.checkCompatibility.5.0' and set it to false

You should now be able to install most extensions.

P.S. I'm finding the new FF5 very fast, but that may be because I just received my new Windows 7 machine.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Pat I am sticking with Firefox 10 for now - unticked update because they are coming too fast for the add-ons

Love Firefox very fast - got Chrome down with Ccleaner and use it as second browser but not a patch on Firefox too clunky

Usually it is the IE Tab to read Newspapers.. Also IDM and a few others are a bit late in getting

their programs which need a plug in up to date due to Firefox being updated so often lately.

I have Firefox 10 and all work well with that version now.

Also just changed over to Thunderbird for email and it is really different to what it once was

a clone of Outlook more or less.

Not so many as it used to be as most have updated and Firefox is okay but the main on is

windows update and its sites - some simply dont accept other than IE can go to another site

but use IE 2 tab instead. Local rural papers all only set up for IE still.

It's just that I don't have it and it is vary rare that I have to use IE, the last time was to put money into the lottery when it was changed but that was only once and it is now working properly and I never use it for Microsoft any more.