Where are you all?

andsome

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shrewsbury is one town where small shops have survived. Even I can enjoy walking round the shops there when we visit my daughter. They have some of the larger stores in shopping centres, but the old High Streets still have a wealth of small businesses. In particular there is still a gorgeous old type delicatessen. Dry cured bacon hanging from the ceiling, sliced to order to whatever thickness you require. A gorgeous display of large cheeses, cut into whatever size chunk you want. Etc etc. 'Er indoors loves the small frock shops and shoe shops etc. Midlanders should try a visit there some time, there is a good park and ride scheme. A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a hamper from there for Christmas. :D

You cannot beat the romantic aroma of a Tesco or Sainsbury and the gorgeous uniforms worn by most of the staff. I don'y like Waitrose so much - they keep them too clean and tidy. Morrisons is in-between.

My mother used to get her groceries in Birmingham from a shop called Wrensons, bread and cakes from Wimbush or Ferkins.

I used to test her mothering skills by whining - "Mom ----- can I have a Ferkin cake".

For deli's/delicatessen do we not mean grocers, as all this used to be available from the one that used to be in the village I was dragged up in.

No, definitely not. Delicatessens sold the more unusual things, not available anywhere else then, but now available in most supermarkets.

Trouble is you have to wade through piles of mundane stuff to find them :rolleyes: