Windows Vista successor scheduled for a H2 2009 release?

Chris

Chicago (IL) - Several industry sources have confirmed to TG Daily that a very early version of Windows 7, previously code-named Blackcomb Vienna, already has been shipped to “key partners” as a “Milestone 1” (M1) code drop for validation purposes. A roadmap received by TG Daily indicates that the new operating system will be introduced in the second half of 2009.

While it has generally been believed that Windows 7 was scheduled for a 2010 debut, Microsoft has revised the roadmap and apparently moved up the release date by a few months: A recently distributed roadmap of the OS lists a release to manufacturing in H2 2009. Microsoft declined to comment on this date.

More | Here

Remembering that release dates don't usually happen with Microsoft.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Vista is an excellent operating system if you have a suitable computer, compatible peripherals and software.

Most of the vociferous critics are people who tried to upgrade from XP and found it gave them problems. If you do a clean install on suitable equipment you will soon see the benefits.

When Microsoft launch the next operating system - the cycle will repeat itself - and the same critics will leap out of the bushes all over again. After all, they have had a lot of practice murdering the reputation of Windows each time there was a new version. I think most people accept that ME was a dud - but all other versions have been a great step forwards and Vista falls into that category.

Management's step-father who is in his eighties and a keen computer user recently upgraded his 3/4 year old XP computer to Vista Home Premium against my advice. Us old uns always know best and he has a Ph.D in know-it-all. It was a disaster.

After a couple of weeks struggling and cussing he eventually agreed to let me upgrade the machine with a replacement PSU, motherboard, CPU, graphics card, DVD burner and a pair of SATA hard drives. It was management's Christmas gift for her dad. I installed his Vista and software and it went like a dream. He moaned at first about the differences in how Vista works but after a couple of weeks he agrees it is much better and he would never go back. If a nearly 90 year old can do it - what is wrong with the modern whinging youth who find Vista so difficult...... :rolleyes:

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbj8kMvQDfI

After 2 SP's, Win98 was one of the best OS's MS introduced.

I think the folks having a problem with VISTA are trying to upgrade on a computer not designed to run it.

Having said that..........you have to wonder why MS is introducing a new OS so close to the release of VISTA. :rolleyes:

My computer was built for XP, but I am 100% sure if I was that way inclined it would run Vista, my last computer was built for 98 and upgraded to XP without problems, the only problem is if you take a computer out of the ark and try to upgrade, that's my opinion any how you shouldn't be afraid to upgrade as long as you don't push it to hard.

I think the folks having a problem with VISTA are trying to upgrade on a computer not designed to run it.

I am using a 7 year old PC and it ran Vista okay when I tried it out in BETA last year.

I think the reason is that my PC specs are quite a bit higher than the minimum requirements needed for Vista.

Another thing that helped was that I have 1.5 GB of RAM as Vista seems to be a lot more memory hungry than XP is!

Having said that..........you have to wonder why MS is introducing a new OS so close to the release of VISTA. :rolleyes:

Yes it doesn't make sense as it's likely to put people off upgrading to Vista when a new O/S could be released as early as 2009 or 2010 :huh:

Vista minimum requirements

Home Premium / Business / Ultimate

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

* 1 GB of system memory

* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

o WDDM Driver

o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

o 32 bits per pixel

* DVD-ROM drive

* Audio Output

* Internet access (fees may apply)

My current specs:

I have a 3 Ghz processor, 1.5 GB of RAM, a 256 MB graphics card and a 120 GB hard drive which is the reason why Vista ran okay on my PC even though it is old!

Ah, but you don't have a 3GHz processor CW :P

Although Vista may have ran "OK" for that very brief test, put it into everyday use --day to day and then see how you feel?

Vista was a major upgrade to Windows, this new Windows is a minor upgrade.

Ah, but you don't have a 3GHz processor CW :P

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ that is the equivalent of a 3 Ghz processor as that's how AMD rated it when it was first released :rolleyes:

It does more 'work' per clock cycle and this is why it is rated higher even though it only runs at a speed of 2.170 Ghz

Although Vista may have ran "OK" for that very brief test, put it into everyday use --day to day and then see how you feel?

I ran it as BETA for a few weeks and it ran okay but I never experimented with games on Vista but for everyday use it seemed fine.