Help! Need to know how to forward IP address

jeffpas

Hi All,

Forgive my Windows stupidity, but I am currently suffering under IE 7. One of the 'annoyances' of my version of IE 7 is that every day, I boot up my laptop, and every single day it redirects my home page to www.msn.com. And every day I have to go in and manually set the default and homepage back to www.google.com.

I have tried settings in IE Options, removed virus protectors, gone into the Registry (don't worry, made a backup) and changed every single instance of msn.com to google.com, talked to Microsoft support, etc., to no avail. It says the homepage is google, it says the default page is google, but STILL goes to msn.com.

One would think that a simple entry in /etc/hosts, for example, might potentially just redirect the IP address of www.msn.com to www.google.com, so that it I don't have to wrench it off my computer anymore.

Is there any such way to redirect one website to another, by putting an entry in a file on your own computer? That is my question.

Thanks much for advice!

Yes, for example the new Spybot Search & Destroy may have "fixed" your home page to one you don't want (in the interests of protecting you from browser hi-jacking). Use the index in Spybot's Help to learn how to disable this while you change your home page, then enable it again once you've got the home page you want. Other security products do this as well so let Alan2273 know them all.

I agree that this is almost certainly one of the Anti Malware programs doing this. When you installed one you must have just ticked without noticing what you were ticking. I had a similar problem some time ago, and had to uninstall the program in question, then reinstall it. Best of luck.

I think a problem like this was fixed a couple of weeks ago, it was something to do with how you change the home page, it may have been Irene that solved it, I don't have it on my computer so I have no idea.