Speed tests

I have just tried to check my download/upload speeds and every one of the checkers that I have tried to use has not worked.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 / Firefox /BT and have just done a reinstall because of a quirky problem with he previous install.

Does BT block speed checks (it wasn't doing a week ago) or have I got a little problem in the innards.

I have been using thinkbroadband over the last few weeks as my connection was very slow (less than half a Mb) and found at times it wouldn't work, my thoughts were when it was very very slow. Are you checking for this reason? I have NoScript enabled and only allow thinkbroadband, so I wouldn't think that popups are the reason.

I have been using thinkbroadband over the last few weeks as my connection was very slow (less than half a Mb) and found at times it wouldn't work, my thoughts were when it was very very slow. Are you checking for this reason? I have NoScript enabled and only allow thinkbroadband, so I wouldn't think that popups are the reason.

The only thing I have enabled "knowingly" is Adblock Plus.

Since reading your post I turned it off and tried http://www.speedtest.net/ again. Surprise, surprise. It instantly made no difference.

My perceived speed does not seem to have reduced much, other than the sort of slowness that I usually attribute to traffic on some much used popular sites. But after re installing my OS I just tried a speed check.....buy then I couldn't.

I was going to try Thinkbroadband, after reading your reply, but the site told me I needed one of four add-on plug-in thingies but gave no indication of which one I needed so I just backed out.

catgate, I wonder if it's worth your while trying puppy linux from live cd, opera and windows gives me a very high ping time (500ms)to the speedtest net site but puppy linux using seamonkey chops that right down to 20ms

catgate, I wonder if it's worth your while trying puppy linux from live cd, opera and windows gives me a very high ping time (500ms)to the speedtest net site but puppy linux using seamonkey chops that right down to 20ms

The time taken to get there is not the problem, mark. The problem is that when I get there speedtest display goes "dull" just before the pyramids appear and just stays like that, whilst namesco gives me a speed figure of upload that is identical to the download speed, (which is somewhere where I would expect it to be,) but.....the speedometer remains stationary all the time. It then automatically repeats itself on a never ending loop.

Have you tried installing a later version of flash?

I've found flash under linux can play up occasionally.

No not yet.

Only this evening I down loaded Adobe Flash Player 9 tar.gz. Sad to relate, in my own inimitable manner, I forgot to allocate it a storage location, and so now I shall have to either find it or down load another copy. :wub:

Have you tried installing a later version of flash?

I've found flash under linux can play up occasionally.

No not yet.

Only this evening I down loaded Adobe Flash Player 9 tar.gz. Sad to relate, in my own inimitable manner, I forgot to allocate it a storage location, and so now I shall have to either find it or down load another copy. :wub:

START/SEARCH. :D

My experience is that these speedtest sites don't give you the actual speed you'll get in everyday internet activity. Basically what you get (assuming you can get through to one) is the highest speed in ideal conditions sending and receiving very simple data to (usually) one site only. It's like testing a car on a race track rather than real city roads - it doesn't correspond to your everyday experience.

To monitor the real speed you are downloading & uploading at I recommend NetMeter (here) you can switch it on or off at random throughout the day and week to show the actual speed you are obtaining from different sites and domains. And it's free. Others on this board will know about similar meters. Some firewalls (Sygate for example) have a built in meter - very useful indeed and completely accurate.

My experience is that these speedtest sites don't give you the actual speed you'll get in everyday internet activity. Basically what you get (assuming you can get through to one) is the highest speed in ideal conditions sending and receiving very simple data to (usually) one site only. It's like testing a car on a race track rather than real city roads - it doesn't correspond to your everyday experience.

To monitor the real speed you are downloading & uploading at I recommend NetMeter (here) you can switch it on or off at random throughout the day and week to show the actual speed you are obtaining from different sites and domains. And it's free. Others on this board will know about similar meters. Some firewalls (Sygate for example) have a built in meter - very useful indeed and completely accurate.

Just giving it a try right now. :D

I certainly don't use it all the time, it's only a tiny programme & I occasionally switch it on when the connection seems particularly difficult or good. I just helps me get some idea what's happening. I think it's actually more realistic (because it's real time monitoring) than most of the speed-testers.

• 3 months later...