Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths

-pops-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Except a lot of what he says is patently wrong. I wouldn't pay too much attention to this fellow!

Not at all! If you check various sites with input by experienced Windows users you'll find most of them in agreement with this fellow. After all, why would Microsoft market a product that wasn't already optimized for the average user? Only in very specific circumstances can any of these tweaking suggestions have a beneficial effect.

• 3 months later...

If people feel able to help they will always offer. Not everyone visits every day. Sometimes a response is almost immediate, other times a question may be missed by someone who happens to be an expert on that topic. No one on here gets paid. All help is voluntary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think not all of the tweaking is useless.

Disabling services really speeds windows performance as long as you know what you are doing. You really have to be sure that you don't need the service you are disabling.

Clearing windows prefetch really speeds up boot time. But it slows down the application loading time.

That's what I think so far.

I think not all of the tweaking is useless.

Disabling services really speeds windows performance as long as you know what you are doing. You really have to be sure that you don't need the service you are disabling.

Clearing windows prefetch really speeds up boot time. But it slows down the application loading time.

That's what I think so far.

I think you're quite right. As you say, disabling services (and programs) that you don'y need running all the time will definitely speed up performace. However, as you say, you have to know what you are doing. What most of us were arguing against was purchasing or installing 3rd party utilities that claim to speed up the computer without explaing what they are really doing.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I read that. Yeah, it is funny how people will take advantage of others inexperience with computers and will try to charge people hundreds of dollars to fix errors. I know of countless IT guys that do some IT work at home as a side job. Friends will say I have a virus. Can you fix it? They give him $100 to do it. Then he just downloads a free virus program and five minutes later. wala. Some of my friends will actually tell their "client" that the free virus program was actually $19.99. So they make even more profit. Truth is, with some research, you can get your PC running well for free.

I read that. Yeah, it is funny how people will take advantage of others inexperience with computers and will try to charge people hundreds of dollars to fix errors. I know of countless IT guys that do some IT work at home as a side job. Friends will say I have a virus. Can you fix it? They give him $100 to do it. Then he just downloads a free virus program and five minutes later. wala. Some of my friends will actually tell their "client" that the free virus program was actually $19.99. So they make even more profit. Truth is, with some research, you can get your PC running well for free.

Is this a worthwhile addition to a thread that is almost 2 years old.................... :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

As far as registry cleaners go the only one I would recommend is Ccleaner and only to be used occasionally, like once every few months "if you do a lot of installing and uninstalling". The reason being that Windows 7 is actually designed in a way where it ignores old registry entries therefore it does not slow the system down at all.

Registry cleaners are snake oil with one exception - "Ccleaner" when used responsibly.

Windows 7 is a very clever OS.

As for speeding up Windows 7... why? its fast enough already as long as you have pretty good hardware, no tweaking tools will make a difference big enough to notice anyway. The only benefit is you have a trim looking system :)

I also totally disagree with third party tweaking tools, Windows 7 has range of utilities you can use to "tweak" the os without having to worry about what registries are being messed up.

• 1 month later...

I can agree with some of it, but in general, I've gotten good results using a program called Mem Turbo. Although, once I put 4 GB of RAM in my computer, it pretty much became unnecessary. But on my older machines and OSs, it made the difference between a program running sluggish, or fast. I don't think it really sped up my computer, but I do believe it made more RAM available to the program I was running, and it made THAT run faster.

As for any effect on Windows 7, I can't comment on that yet. I'm still running Windows XP.

• Irene unpinned this topic