Internet too slowly in new computer after couple of weeks

Araucalia

Hei,

I just bought a new hp compaq 6720s wich works with windows vista. In the begining everything went well but couple of weeks after,the internet started to be too slowly, it takes long time to open pages and is almos imposible to play any game... :( What could be the problem, and what could i do?

Thanks,

Araucalia.

Is it just the Internet that has become slow or the whole computer?

If the former, check the connection speeds. If the latter than as the computer is new, return it to the supplier and complain.

Yes, could be that is the whole computer, but i just use some photo program and is working perhaps little bit slowlier. I dont really know so much about computer, as you can see :( How can i check the connections speeds?

It will be useful to know what security software you are using, ie Anti virus, Anti Spyware & Firewall. It will also be useful to know if you have any P2P or Torrent file sharing software installed.

Im using norton security. I dont know what firewall and p2p means. And i have not torrent in my computer.

It will be useful to know what security software you are using, ie Anti virus, Anti Spyware & Firewall. It will also be useful to know if you have any P2P or Torrent file sharing software installed.

Im using norton security. I dont know what firewall and p2p means. And i have not torrent in my computer.

Norton security suite has a firewall and an Anti Virus program contained in it. It is pretty universally hated on this forum as an over bloated program that slows the computer down. Unfortunately, many commercial computer suppliers include this program in new computers, as they are well paid to do so. This is one of the reasons that I and many others do not buy commercial computers. Those that can do so build their own, and those who can't have one built by a local supplier, who will only install exactly what the customer wants. You can also ask for a full installation disk at a small increase in price. Many commercial builders do not supply this, only a recovery disk. :D

How can i check the connections speeds?

If you go to the following site, you will be able to check your download speed and your upload speed just by the click of your mouse.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

You will then be able to compare what you get with what you are paying your ISP for.

Incidentally who is your ISP? Some of them are less than honest and more like first class con artists.

P2P is an abbreviation of Peer to Peer, file sharing or music download services like Napster. Very popular, but not to my mind a good thing to have on a PC.

Remote diagnosis of problems is always difficult, over a forum harder still, but here are a couple of suggestions worth trying:-

1) Download and run CCleaner Leave it on the default settings for cleaning as selecting the other empty tickboxes may remove something you could want to keep. Do note that before running the cleaner you should go into "Options" "Cookies" and decide what cookies you want to keep for example "windowsforum.org" if you wipe them, you'll have to log in again to this and similar sites when you come back.

2) Make sure Norton is fully updated and run a thorough scan of the PC.

3) It may also be worth adding a dedicated anti spyware programme like SuperAntispyware free version which is quite well liked by forum members.

How can i check the connections speeds?

If you go to the following site, you will be able to check your download speed and your upload speed just by the click of your mouse.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

You will then be able to compare what you get with what you are paying your ISP for.

Incidentally who is your ISP? Some of them are less than honest and more like first class con artists.

Thanks, i was cheaking and is running little bit slowlier than what i pay, i pay for 1Mb... and it was something like 880kbps download speed and 726kbps upload speed. But what is really strange is that today the computer was working fast enogh for an hour and then again slowly :huh:

Thanks, i was cheaking and is running little bit slowlier than what i pay, i pay for 1Mb... and it was something like 880kbps download speed and 726kbps upload speed. But what is really strange is that today the computer was working fast enogh for an hour and then again slowly :huh:

Well they do vary quite a lot, often depending on how much traffic there is on the the various links. If you check the speed that your ISP promises I think you're likely to find "upto 1MBps". So if you're getting 880 & 726 kbps, that's quite good compared to to the maximum you are promised. Many people get less than half what the ISP promises, in my experience.

.... i pay for 1Mb... and it was something like 880kbps download speed and 726kbps upload speed. But what is really strange is that today the computer was working fast enogh for an hour and then again slowly :huh:

You are obviously not from the UK. Here the upload speed is usually about 10% of the download speed. I would have thought your 726 kbps might have been 72.6.

I know nothing about Vista, but I would think a good clean up with Crap cleaner as Belatucadrus suggested would be a good thing.

If you google for "Trend Housecall" you will also find a very good free online scanning service. I can not give you a link to it other than the English one. You may find one in your own language.

edit:- When you say the computer was working fast were you working off line or was it doing something on line? It is not unusual for the internet reaction speed to be slower than non internet speed.