How do they arrive at these figures?

andsome

I visited Specsavers a few days ago for an eye test. It was decided that my prescription needed changing. They quoted me £235 to re glaze an existing frame, with reactolite varifocal scratch resistant lenses, and £210 to supply a new £85 frame glazed in the same way. When I queried this, the explanation was that I qualified for a discount if I had a new frame, but not if my old frame was re glazed. How the hell do they arrive at such crazy figures? Needless to say I took my prescription elsewhere, and got the re glazing of my old frame done for £135.

1.gif

I don't trust these supermarket opticians.

I have glaucoma which is controlled by the medication I take for hypertension. Nevertheless, the glaucoma causes permanent changes is very obvious to anyone who might take an ophthalmoscope to my eyes - probably even to a novice who has seen a normal eye.

Specsavers once told me that my eyes appeared quite normal and when I requested a non-contact tonometry (NCT) test, they refused saying it wasn't necessary. I didn't get as far as refusing their selection of glasses, I was out of the chair post haste and, after telling them what I thought of their service, I went to a real optician and had things done properly.

(N.B. It is recommended that everyone over the age of 40 has an NCT as part of a routine eye test. It's the one where a puff of air is blown at the eye.)

How do they arrive at these figures?

You must realise that you are dealing with people who have a very expensive life style to maintain. This would be totally impossible if their original value-for-money ethos were still being adhered to. On top of their expensive lifestyle they also have to pay those people who are actually getting their hands grubby by dealing with the great unwashed of the land.

Then there are those "Designers" who design the frames. They also have a very expensive life style to maintain. The fact that some cheapskate comes along and wants to use his own old frames is nothing but an insult, and he must be made to pay for the insult.

When I asked them to "reglaze" mine a couple of years ago they refused. So I informed them, firmly and politely, where they could put their expensive frames and lenses and went to ASDA.

I have glaucoma which is controlled by the medication I take for hypertension. Nevertheless, the glaucoma causes permanent changes is very obvious to anyone who might take an ophthalmoscope to my eyes - probably even to a novice who has seen a normal eye.

Specsavers once told me that my eyes appeared quite normal and when I requested a non-contact tonometry (NCT) test, they refused saying it wasn't necessary. I didn't get as far as refusing their selection of glasses, I was out of the chair post haste and, after telling them what I thought of their service, I went to a real optician and had things done properly.

(N.B. It is recommended that everyone over the age of 40 has an NCT as part of a routine eye test. It's the one where a puff of air is blown at the eye.)

I have that at each test. VERY unpleasant.

I'm disappointed you've had such poor service andsome... I work for Specsavers and re-glaze patients own frames all the time. Out of interest, where did you go in the end?

(Please don't say Vision Express... :D My mum's having the same problem you've had but with them instead of Specsavers)

I went immediately to Vision Express and was quoted an even higher price. Next, on the recommendation of a friend of 'Er indoors I went up the road to Tamworth Street Lichfield and was quoted £135 to re glaze my old frames, to exactly the same spec as Specsavers' at a shop called Direct Specs. I will be doing the same as she is now doing, and recommending the same course of action to everyone. Ask your company why I can be offered a so called discount of 30% for new frames glazed, and a higher price to re glaze my existing frames. There is no more work to be done. It is my opinion that Specsavers and Vision express, having worked for a reputation of reasonable pricing, are now happily living on that reputation and rooking the customers. In two years time I will return to Specsavers for a new eye test, as I was more than happy with that, but will once more take my prescription elsewhere. :D

I have that at each test. VERY unpleasant.

Better than the old system that used a spring balance type of arrangement to physically push and distort the eyeball a specified amount to then measure the spring pressure required to achieve this distortion. When you've had that done a few times the non-contact method is a doddle.

Just back from a week in Devon - sod's law, the day before we went my reading specs broke - irrepairable - so had to tape them. So pretty!

I was about to make an appointment for a new eye test anyway - it's been two years. I'll go back to Tesco. The Bournemouth shop is pretty good. (They do the puff test)