Introducing Windows 7

Chris

For me, one of the most exciting times in the release of a new product is right before we show it to the world for the first time. And that time is right now.

In a few weeks we are going to be talking about the details of this release at the PDC and at WinHEC. We will be sharing a pre-beta "developer only release" with attendees of both shows and giving them the first broad in-depth look at what we've been up to. I can't wait for them to see it.

And, as you probably know, since we began development of the next version of the Windows client operating system we have been referring to it by a codename, "Windows 7." But now is a good time to announce that we've decided to officially call the next version of Windows, "Windows 7."

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...-windows-7.aspx

In other words the next version of Windows [the one after Vista] will be called.......Windows 7.

1. 1985 - Windows 1

2. 1987 - Windows 2

3. 1990 - Windows 3

4. 1995 - Windows 95

5. 1998 - Windows 98

6. 2000 - Windows 2000

7. 2001 - Windows XP

8. 2007 - Windows Vista

9. ???? - Windows 7

Someone at Microsoft cannot count.............. :unsure:

If you ignore other versions like Windows NT, Windows Mobile, Windows Server etc it should perhaps be called Windows 9.

1. 1985 - Windows 1

2. 1987 - Windows 2

3. 1990 - Windows 3

4. 1995 - Windows 95

5. 1998 - Windows 98

6. 2000 - Windows 2000

7. 2001 - Windows XP

8. 2007 - Windows Vista

9. ???? - Windows 7

If you ignore other versions like Windows NT, Windows Mobile, Windows Server etc it should perhaps be called Windows 9.

They do use a strange way of counting, e.g. Windows 95, 98, ME, and NT were all version 4.x; 2000 and XP are 5.0 and 5.1, Vista is 6.0 and Windows 7 is ... 6.1! (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows#Timeline_of_releases)

They do use a strange way of counting, e.g. Windows 95, 98, ME, and NT were all version 4.x; 2000 and XP are 5.0 and 5.1, Vista is 6.0 and Windows 7 is ... 6.1! (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows#Timeline_of_releases)

That seems to explain quite a lot about M$ and its "workings" if one just lets it sink in.

How many different hymn sheets do they have?

1. 1985 - Windows 1

2. 1987 - Windows 2

3. 1990 - Windows 3

4. 1995 - Windows 95

5. 1998 - Windows 98

6. 2000 - Windows 2000

7. 2001 - Windows XP

8. 2007 - Windows Vista

9. ???? - Windows 7

They can always bump it up.

Microsoft are counting some releasing as being part of the same version number (based on the core technology used in each edition). Eg. Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME are all included in the “Windows 4″ bracket, with XP and 2000 sharing “Windows 5″ and Vista being “Windows 6″.

So, as Microsoft's Mike Nash says -

Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore “Windows 7″ just makes sense.

Check out this site for news on the upcoming operating system.