Chrome Stable Version

bochiman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BEWARE OF THIS PRODUCT!!! I've just had the experience of downloading it (with IE7) from the official website, then seeing my system crash when I tried to install it. The computer re-started automatically and I had the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" box on the screen. When I opened IE I had no McAfee SiteAdvisor. I re-started the machine again and everything went back to normal. I looked for a Google Chrome file and only found an empty folder. :(

Definitely not out of Beta yet, going on this experience. :ranting:

The idea is the next one: I think that Google wants to rewrite the history. If you remember the battle between the Internet Explorer and Netscape at the beginnings of the Web 1.0 era in early 1996-1998, now is a similar one on the browsers market, but at on another scale.

On one hand, Microsoft wants to maintain the supremacy (if you look into any server log even for a small hosting account you will notice that the majority of the visitors use a Microsoft IE browser or one that uses the same rendering engine), on the other hand more and more different new browsers appears with a great developers community behind (Firefox for example based on Gecko engine).

Definitely Google Chrome is just out of beta, it could still have bugs, but the question mark is the next one: if in three month there are already 10 millions users without intensive marketing. The community is building, as a consequence I think the bugs will be solved based on the users feedback. A notable news , also published by Google this week is about a sandbox technology that enables developers to build applications that uses the client computers. They want to win the battle on the browsers market.

You will be able to run processor consuming web based applications with the power of your CPU (sounds like something new) but is not: Google sandbox is an ActiveX like functionality for all modern web browsers minus Internet Explorer. More about this issue is available inthis article.

Did you download it from here http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html ?

Yes, indeed. I found it by searching with Google (it was top of the list & had a green tick from SiteAdvisor). I sent Google a report afterwards with the minidump. I hope that might help them improve the product. Meanwhile, like andsome, I'll pass on this one, at least for a while. I just wanted to try it out, but generally I'm satisfied with IE7 & FF (OK, let's not start that thread all over again!). :mellow:

Bochiman, you say Chrome is definitely out of Beta, but "it could still have bugs". With respect, if it could still have bugs then it shouldn't be claimed by Google that it's out of Beta. If it's released as a fully tested product which people can use on their primary machine, then it might have security flaws & it might have room for improvement, but it shouldn't have bugs (errors that cause it, or another program, to crash), in my opinion. If you do a search on Google Chrome, you will read that many technical experts have criticised Google for claiming that their product is out of Beta after only 3 months of public testing. This is also what MS did with there first version of IE7.

Some follow up to this experience with Google Chrome. I received a quick e-mail response to the mini-dump I sent to them and they advised me that the crash was probably caused by a process called clickonce_boots.exe, and advised me to check for viruses, etc. Well I've done that and nothing has been found. Also there's nothing on my system by that name , but there are references to clickonce_bootstrap.exe which is part of NET Framework 2.0. After doing various other checks and running a repair on NET Framework I decided to take a chance and try to download & instal Chrome again, and it all went smoothly.

It's certainly minimalist, which I like, and leaves plenty of screen space. It starts up quickly but seems no faster than Firefox in downloading pages. It doesn't allow McAfee SiteAdvisor (yet), but apparantly Google have their own version of this. Also it's not cleaned by CCleaner (yet).

So I'll just keep experimenting with it for a while.

On the original crash problem, I suspect I have a RAM problem with the new motherboard, etc that I had installed after the burn-out a month ago. A man is coming round later to check it for me.

• 1 month later...

Bochiman. I think you're referring the sand box theory to a different idea.

Sand-boxing what Google uses, makes each tab a new process so if you're using web applications or anything open to running scripts, these can lock down the web browser, cause system instability or maybe just browser instability.

One of the problems of the existing browsers is that a web page can lock the browser and there's no way to isolate that tab and close it. Google Chrome uses a new process for each tab. "We're applying the same isolation you find in modern operating systems," says Arnaud Weber. Each process is sandboxed to prevent malware from affecting your computer.

from - http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/09/g...ser-google.html

Anyway, I never even knew it was in beta. But when I tried it, it was running too slow on my poor little laptop that I had to delete it. So I think it's going to be another Internet Explorer. Reason being the only type of computer you can use it on is a computer with an unlimited amount of RAM which is able to pick up and drag, toggle and carry the poor thing along like one of them pick-up vans used for picking up broken down cars.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry to say I do not get v 2.0.164.0 from this link.

My about says v 2.0.163.0.

Sorry for that - I didn't check it myself. You can get the 2.0.164.0 version from http://www.majorgeeks.com/Google_Chrome_d6037.html, but Majorgeeks sometimes post beta versions without telling, so it's better to get the latest version from the official download site.

Chrome seems to use part of .NET Framework with consequences that Google doesn't warn users about (probably they haven't thoroughly researched them). Best avoided if you use & need any version of Framework.

PW & Hb_kai, if you still have Chrome, can you trace any of its dependencies in Component Services to check?

Even if it uses the .NET framework, should that icon show up just before it's being downloaded anyway?

Anyway.

It doesn't work very well with the newest .NET Framework version. Doesn't work very well whilst running Windows Live Messenger and installing a newer version of Direct X.

But it works slightly better with the older version and in SP 2.

The 2nd time Chrome crashed I sent the minidump to Google & they sent back a reply with the name of the trigger for the crash. It was clickonce_boots.exe which appears to be a misprint for clickonce_bootstrap.exe which is part of .NET Framework. A file with a similar name is used by some Firefox add-ons (SEE HERE). So if you have either .NET Framework or Firefox with add-ons installed, you might have trouble with Google chrome...