Chrome Stable Version

bochiman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think another reason for Google rushing out Chrome & trying to get as many people using it as possible (regardless of the flaws) is that Windows 7 will have IE8 as an option that can be uninstalled (see THIS BLOG). It seems this is to comply with with an EU ruling that MS's web browser must be offered as an option rather than be built in to the operating system. Once you are using Chrome then they try to draw you in to all there other unified features (register with Google and get blah, blah, blah...).

Still, some competition to keep the Microsoft oligopoly on its toes is a good thing.

Internet Explorer haters will be happy. Panarchy, any comments...

What on Earth does the EU have to do with this anyway? It's Microsoft's software, with their operating system.

Well anyway, this may be one of the best ideas Microsoft has had yet so far the last couple of years... I'd still prefer Safari or a Mozilla product over IE though. :)

What on Earth does the EU have to do with this anyway?

Anti-monopoly laws. They do have them in the US as well, but I think they are reluctant to enforce them, after the disaster with the IBM breakup a few years (decades?) ago. IBM once was the world's No. 1 computer company; after that, they became a bit-player.

Definition of monopoly (from Wiktionary)

1. A situation in which solely one company exclusively provides a particular product or service, dominating that market and generally exerting powerful control over it.
  2. An exclusive control over the trade or manufacture of a commodity.
  3. A company dominating a market in one of the the above manners.

Back to the original topic (or first sub-topic) - if you please!

Microsoft oligopoly: "a state of limited competition between few producers or sellers". Which I think is a more accurate description of the situation with Microsoft which is not a complete monopoly. If you want to know the effects of a monopoly ("absolutely no competition") think Soviet Union, East Germany, where there was no competition in anything, not even ideas.

Well actually I don't find it at all bad. There was a bit of weirdness to the downloading and installing where you download an .exe file which connects to the website which downloads the software from there, and then installs it with all default settings and not asking you anything at all about where you would like to install it, whether you'd like to make any shortcuts on the desktop or anything - it automatically does everything for you...

I've tried the browsers web page rendering machine on a few websites which Firefox usually finds hard :

Help.com - this website is stupid to run sometimes!

Facebook's stupid "apps"/games.

and a few Youtube videos - because I thought it might not already have the Flash Media Player already installed - and it does which I can't remember if Firefox does but it definetely doesn't on Ubuntu.

Anyway, it loads the web pages fast enough and comes with the Java and Flash media players.

Looking at the memory usage on the Windows Task Manager:

Three tabs all seem to decide to use up to 86K all together, which is just about double that of Firefox with the same websites in all three tabs.

But other than that it's nowhere near as bad as its previous versions - but I'm uninstalling it anyway as I hate the stupid browser.

I don't have enough time to make better tests on it and go more in depth with things as it's 6:15am and I'm absolutely shattered so I want to go get some sleep before I end up waking up tomorrow night. :)

And before I go to my humble slumber - annoyingly after uninstalling this piece of junk it opens your web browser and takes you to this survey web page - http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/r...amp;os=5.1.2600 - for some reason it opened in IE and my default browser is FF!

I thought I'd be a little bit rude in this and tell them that I only downloaded it because I wanted to test it and see how crap it is compared to their other versions using the "other" box as they have annoyed me a bit in the past and having a growing hatred for Google lately.