What C Drive Program Files can I safely delete?

Hi all, I am no natural techie but I know I have too much on C Drive slowing things down and want to learn which is essential and which isn't if anybody has any clues?

Bearing in mind all I need for my PC to keep me happy are :

Instant messenger Skype and Yahoo, and a record of chat which I have,

Internet Explorer and Firefox web browsers which I have,

Currency trading stations which I have,

OO.o and Windows word documents which I have,

Be able to make PDF documents which I have,

and to be able to watch videos without stop and start, which I have,

How many of these programs in C drive -> Program files are essential for Windows to run so I know which ones I can delete for more space and then reinstall later if I need to:

Adobe

Ahead

Analog Devices

Apple Software Update

Common Files

CyberLink

Classic

Citrix

ComPlus Applications

Codec Pack - All In 1

instmsia

instmsiw

Intel

Java

JRE

licenses

Media Player

Microsoft ActiveSync

microsoft frontpage

Microsoft Office

Microsoft Visual Studio

Microsoft Works

Microsoft.NET

Movie Maker

MSN->MSN Explorer

MSNGaming Zone

MSXML 6.0

NetMeeting

NOS

Online Services

Outlook Express

readmes

Reference Assemblies

setup Configuration Settings

Windows Live

Windows Media Player

Windows NT

xerox

Thanks in advance

Well he's a start, layresearcher:

- Apple Software Update - you only need this if you use Apple or Mac software.

- Microsoft Works - this can usually be safely deleted unless you use its utilities, which is unlikely since you have Office.

- MSN Explorer - can be deleted if you use Windows Explorer.

- MSN Gaming - can be deleted unless you use it.

- Windows Media Player - can be deleted if you use another media player.

If you later change your mind all the above except MS Works are available for free download later.

Also, do you use Disk Clean Up to clean out rubbish from your Hard drive? Even better is CCleaner (available HERE), a tried and tested utility used by many on this forum to clean out old files and records which are no longer needed.

There are other programs on your list which I know nothing about. To find out what they do you could type them into a search engine and look through what other people say about them.

Do not delete anything directly from your Program Files folders; always uninstall applications via Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. This will also give you more detailed information on what exactly you have installed. E.g. Adobe may be Adobe Reader, Flash Player, or Shockwave Player.

You can give us a full list of your installed programs by using CCleaner (as recommended by Dencandy in the previous post), Tools, tab Uninstall, then right-click on an entry, and select Save to text file. Attach this text file to your next post, and we will tell you what programs can safely be uninstalled.

P.S. I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood but:

Are all of these programs running all the time?

Do they all run at startup?

Only a few programs are actually needed when Windows gets going. All the others can be switched in as you require them. A good little utility for removing unnecessary programs running at startup is http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php

• 1 month later...

Thanks for replies members.

CCleaner looks like a great tool.

And other advice will be valuable too.

Been offline alot with alot of Reuter hassels flattie has had.

A friend who told me how knowledgeable he was, reinstalled Windows for me but he made abit of a mess and I still had hardly any space so I started deleting stuff that looked superfluous.

One of the things that I deleted was "Microsoft net framework 2.0" because I think I saw a "Microsoft net framework 3.0" but it seems that was an important component that was needed to accept updates from windows and it also seems to have affected the way I see my screen videos. When I upload them to www.jingproject.com they don't appear the same as they do on my PC.

I have tried to reinstall "Microsoft net framework 2.0" but PC wont seem to accept it now. Can't remember the reason it gave, but should I be able to reinstall "Microsoft net framework 2.0" again?

Thanks in advance.

As I have replied earlier in this topic, do not delete programs from your computer; use Add/Remove Programs if you want to get rid of it.

As for .NET Framework, version 3.x will not replace 2.x; it will merely build on it. However, .NET Framework is only required if you have any applications that require it. Don't install it if you don't need it! Applications that require it will tell you so, and they will tell you what version they need.

A good rule of thumb is initially not to delete anything that has the Microsoft label. But later you can change that as you learn more about which Microsoft components you are likely to need & which you can do without. So first go through the non-Microsoft stuff & decide which you need & which you don't need.

If in doubt just type the name into a search engine like Google to find out about it, then ask the forum if you have any more questions.

As I have replied earlier in this topic, do not delete programs from your computer; use Add/Remove Programs if you want to get rid of it.

As for .NET Framework, version 3.x will not replace 2.x; it will merely build on it. However, .NET Framework is only required if you have any applications that require it. Don't install it if you don't need it! Applications that require it will tell you so, and they will tell you what version they need.

THanks Pat, I did actually Remove it from "Add/Remove Programs" but still didn't know enough about what i was doing because I think "Microsoft net framework 2.0" has something to do with accepting Microsoft updates which I cant do now.

And it doesn't look like I can reinstall it now either.

A good rule of thumb is initially not to delete anything that has the Microsoft label. But later you can change that as you learn more about which Microsoft components you are likely to need & which you can do without. So first go through the non-Microsoft stuff & decide which you need & which you don't need.

If in doubt just type the name into a search engine like Google to find out about it, then ask the forum if you have any more questions.

Trouble with me is I struggle with technical language so better off on forums where one can ask questions but some google stuff is clear.

A good way is to clean you temp folder too. It usually just fills with junk - C Cleaner which was recommend by ComputerSponge is a really good tool for this and I know most other people will say the same on here.

As for the .NET Frameworks - I tend to keep them all as the software I use nowadays is old and new to some degree and never know when I'll need it - but this isn't always necessary and Pat said more or less the right thing.

I am realizing that it is quite important to somehow try and reinstall "Microsoft net framework 2.0", because if I don't, it seems I won't be able to receive updates from Windows and various software.

Does anybody know if it is possible to reinstall "Microsoft net framework 2.0" after you have removed it from "Add or Remove programs"?

Thanks

Does anybody know if it is possible to reinstall "Microsoft net framework 2.0" after you have removed it from "Add or Remove programs"?

Thanks

How to manually remove and then reinstall the .NET Framework 2.0 :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077

You can download the .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package from here

Just out of interest, when you say that you are "running out of space" on your C drive - just how big is this partition ?

Its 11GB. Flattie put a Linux partition there at some stage, which has since been removed, so I have 7GB of space there with hardly anything in it.

Pity I can't move some stuff from C Drive like program files to there.

Will do a clean to make some room and then try and download .NET Framework 2.0

Thanks

Do not delete anything directly from your Program Files folders; always uninstall applications via Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. This will also give you more detailed information on what exactly you have installed. E.g. Adobe may be Adobe Reader, Flash Player, or Shockwave Player.

You can give us a full list of your installed programs by using CCleaner (as recommended by Dencandy in the previous post), Tools, tab Uninstall, then right-click on an entry, and select Save to text file. Attach this text file to your next post, and we will tell you what programs can safely be uninstalled.

It says I have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 but I know it didn't install properly and I got a warning saying so.

I will try and install it again now. I have selected the repair option after downloading it again. (The only other option was Deinstall)

Acrobat.com

Adobe AIR

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX

Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin

Adobe Reader 9

Apple Mobile Device Support

Apple Software Update

Audacity 1.2.6

AVG Free 8.0

Bonjour

CCleaner (remove only)

Intel® Extreme Graphics Driver

Intel® PRO Ethernet Adapter and Software

iTunes

Java™ 6 Update 11

Java™ 6 Update 7

Jing

MessageMagic

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Mozilla Firefox (3.0.7)

MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459)

OpenOffice.org 3.0

QuickTime

Skype™ 3.8

SoundMAX

Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)

Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2

Yahoo! Messenger

Yahoo! Toolbar

Glad you solved your problem with the .NET Framework; the question is - do you actually need it? (Since you originally mentioned too much used space on your C: drive.) If you don't have any applications that use .NET Framework, I'd recommend that your remove both 2.0 and 3.0.

I also recommend that you remove

- Adobe AIR

- Java 6 Update 7.

And while you're at it updating your system, you could also update

- Adobe Reader 9.0 to Adobe Reader 9.1

- Java 6 Update 11 to Java 6 Update 12

- Windows Installer 3.1 to Windows Installer 4.5 (assuming that you have Windows XP SP2 or higher)

When you are done, run the Secunia Online Software Inspector from http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/ - this will show you if you have any other outdated and unsecure software.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood but:

Are all of these programs running all the time?

Do they all run at startup?

Only a few programs are actually needed when Windows gets going. All the others can be switched in as you require them. A good little utility for removing unnecessary programs running at startup is http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php

Is this Start Up Inspector ok for windows XP Pops?

Cheers

Layresearcher, I see you've got MS Office Professional Edition and Open Office. These 2 large programs do almost identical things & I would say you don't need them both. If it was me I would uninstall Open Office, as MS Office is probably the more advanced & versatile of the two. Also Open Office is free and can be downloaded any time.

Foxit Reader is bundled with the much dreaded Ask Toolbar (spyware); see this post.

But you do get the option to Not Install the Ask toolbar (:) - if you read the installation processes properly)

Foxit Reader is bundled with the much dreaded Ask Toolbar (spyware); see this post.

To be fair to Ask, I think that the Ask Toolbar is not spyware, but is Pestware, it can be installed without you being fully aware of the fact. Ask is a good search engine and is my second default choice after Google (it sometime seems to reach the places Google does not reach).