Build a PC!

Building your own is great fun, but not necessarily the cheapest way. The entry level PC market is extremely cut throat and the buying power of the big manufacturers means that they can frequently sell a PC with warranty for significantly less than most of us can buy the components. As you go up the price bracket the difference seems to change in our favour. The only way to be sure is to set a budget and then browse ebuyer, Scan or Novatech and see what you can get for your wedge. Then look at Dell and some others to see how much they would charge for a similar spec system.

I built my last desktop and will in all probability do the next because I enjoyed it, but I'm under no illusions that I'll be saving any money doing it.

The problem with most of the commercial computers is the amount of so called free rubbish on them, including very invasive AV programs like Norton. The answer is of course either to build your own, or if you are not happy with that, to discuss your requirements with a reputable local shop or computer builder, and have EXACTLY what you need for your purposes. This is what I have done twice, and have been VERY satisfied on both occasions. Late last year, I agreed on a price and spec with my local shop late on a Thursday afternoon. He delivered and installed the computer at 6 PM on the Saturday evening. Excellent service, with NO installed crapware. :D

The problem with most of the commercial computers is the amount of so called free rubbish on them, including very invasive AV programs like Norton. The answer is of course either to build your own, or if you are not happy with that, to discuss your requirements with a reputable local shop or computer builder, and have EXACTLY what you need for your purposes. This is what I have done twice, and have been VERY satisfied on both occasions. Late last year, I agreed on a price and spec with my local shop late on a Thursday afternoon. He delivered and installed the computer at 6 PM on the Saturday evening. Excellent service, with NO installed crapware. :D

Get real. No one in their right mind is going to come all the way from Manilla to your local shop on a Thursday afternoon for a computer, even if it was to be delivered to Manilla on the Saturday evening,

Get real. No one in their right mind is going to come all the way from Manilla to your local shop on a Thursday afternoon for a computer, even if it was to be delivered to Manilla on the Saturday evening,

Doe Manilla have computer shops??????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yes. They are usually incorporated into a collection of retail interests under one roof. What we would call a Shopping Complex/Retail Outlet/Departmental Store/Emporium etc., but which in Manilla is known as an Envelope.

There is a shop in the town I used to live in, (Great Yarmouth) and they sell pretty good power packs for cheap. And 80GB, 120GB etc cheap hard drives.

I don't know if they have a website, I don't even know what the shop's name is... They have an Internet Cafe inside too...

But what I'm not sure about is the people who run the shop... :(