Vista Ultimate 64 or Windows 7?

I should also say, I dont like the fact that the RC 7 is always linked up with Microsoft sending them all of my information.... I mean how secure is the rest of my data?

There are probably things I dont want Microsoft having access to, so how does that work?

And it also says to backup everything if I'm doing an XP upgrade.

Now I've already backed up my 500g media hdd, but it wont affect that one will it?

Just the HDD associated with the C: drive right?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all the proper hardware, I'm not worried about that, I need to figure out exactly how to go about the upgrade since I have a couple of partitions.

Now I've already backed up my 500g media hdd, but it wont affect that one will it?

I dont like the fact that the RC 7 is always linked up with Microsoft sending them all of my information.... I mean how secure is the rest of my data?

There are probably things I dont want Microsoft having access to, so how does that work?

does anyone know of a good walk thru for setting up the remote computer access via my iPhone?

I have all the proper hardware, I'm not worried about that, I need to figure out exactly how to go about the upgrade since I have a couple of partitions.

I dont like the fact that the RC 7 is always linked up with Microsoft sending them all of my information.... I mean how secure is the rest of my data?

does anyone know of a good walk thru for setting up the remote computer access via my iPhone?

Bump

Ok, so based on that I need to do a clean install as its called.

Now XP Pro is on an 80g HDD that is split between it and Ubuntu. Ubuntu has about 20g partitioned for it.

So when I do this "clean install" will it just re-do the XP Pro parition, or will it want to re-do both partitions?

What are you using for a Boot Manager? Grub?

I'm just guessing but my bet is the 'clean install' of Windows 7 overwriting XP (XP upgrade?) will have the Windows 7 boot manager overwrite your Grub so you will have to deal with that.

Just a guess, though.

Now XP Pro is on an 80g HDD that is split between it and Ubuntu. Ubuntu has about 20g partitioned for it.

So when I do this "clean install" will it just re-do the XP Pro parition, or will it want to re-do both partitions?

I'm just guessing but my bet is the 'clean install' of Windows 7 overwriting XP (XP upgrade?) will have the Windows 7 boot manager overwrite your Grub so you will have to deal with that.

Just a guess, though.

Yes I've been using Grub.

I prefer to keep it this way as I've become familar with Grub and it works well for Ubuntu etc.

So will the 7 upgrade just do the XP Pro partition, or would it re-format both partitions on the HDD?

Just a guess, though.

I prefer to keep it this way as I've become familar with Grub and it works well for Ubuntu etc.

So will the 7 upgrade just do the XP Pro partition, or would it re-format both partitions on the HDD?

I'm no expert but from what I've read on Win7 and 'upgrading' XP, it re-installs over XP but can retain some XP directories. 'Could be wrong about that. If it does re-format, it would only re-format the XP partition since it 'detects' the NTFS partition. It should leave your Ubuntu partition alone but the Windows 7 boot manager will over-write Grub and you won't be able to boot your Ubuntu OS until you 'fix' it. I haven't installed a Windows OS after a Linux one before so I am not familiar with the process and steps to repair it. I think there are some 'how-to's' though so try any 'repair Grub' after installing Windows after Linux is already installed 'how to.' The Vista boot loader is probably similar to 7 so follow instructions pertaining to Vista to make it a bit easier or related.

Oh yeah, I suspect you can probably repair the Grub boot loader using a Live CD. The Ubuntu one might work. You probably have to look at menu.lst and make sure it is set up correctly. Again, find a 'how to' by searching google. I've come across them before but I don't have the links handy.

You appear to be putting an awful lot of effort into what is, after all, a prototype and time limited version of Windows 7*.

There is no guarantee that what is on offer now will be the same as the final version - which may be slightly different, may be a lot but different it most certainly will be.

The RC version available now most resembles what will become Windows 7 Ultimate, thus the most expensive one with loads of bells, whistles and assorted add-ons, a lot of which will never be used by most people.

The final release is stated to be October this year. Personally I would wait until then before I make any changes to a computer that is used for other than testing work.

*Note the Current RC will stop working and will have to be replaced at the end of the grace period - which is June next year.

You are trying to make it sound as if 'Ultimate' were an operating system, but it is not.

There is a Vista "Ultimate" version.

There is a Windows 7 "Ultimate" version.

If a feature is available on Vista "Ultimate", then most likely it will be in Windows 7 "Ultimate".

That is not quite true - Microsoft are having to exclude Internet Explorer, Windows Movie maker, Windows mail and perhaps some other software from Windows 7 in Europe to satisfy eurocrats who claim to include then gives Microsoft an unfair advantage over competitors.

Just a guess, though.

I'm no expert but from what I've read on Win7 and 'upgrading' XP, it re-installs over XP but can retain some XP directories. 'Could be wrong about that. If it does re-format, it would only re-format the XP partition since it 'detects' the NTFS partition. It should leave your Ubuntu partition alone but the Windows 7 boot manager will over-write Grub and you won't be able to boot your Ubuntu OS until you 'fix' it. I haven't installed a Windows OS after a Linux one before so I am not familiar with the process and steps to repair it. I think there are some 'how-to's' though so try any 'repair Grub' after installing Windows after Linux is already installed 'how to.' The Vista boot loader is probably similar to 7 so follow instructions pertaining to Vista to make it a bit easier or related.

Well the entire HDD that both OS are on are NTFS, so will this make a difference when 7 tries to re-write over XP?

Oh yeah, I suspect you can probably repair the Grub boot loader using a Live CD. The Ubuntu one might work. You probably have to look at menu.lst and make sure it is set up correctly. Again, find a 'how to' by searching google. I've come across them before but I don't have the links handy.

This will probably be the easiest... any suggestions?

Once the real version of 7 comes out, will they offer patches or anything to make the RC version run a little smoother or fix/upgrade bugs while the trial version is still active?

I see a major thing with 7 is that you're constantly letting Microsoft have access to your computer and sending out updates about your history... something I'm not too keen about.

I dont like people know what I'm doing, because well, its personal.

How much HDD space is going to be needed for a 64 bit version of 7?

I currently have a 50g partition for windows.

When the "real" version of Windows 7 is issued that is the end of any trial versions as far as MS are concerned. They allow you a grace period during which you can make your mind up or transfer your files to the real version and it will then be gradually made inoperative.

The reports sent to MS during the trial do not contain anything personal and you are quite safe from that point of view. It is purely technical information in regard to performance of the various parts of the O/S. You can't realistically complain as you agreed to this when you began the trial and, after all, you are being given the opportunity of trying out the latest operating system entirely free of charge.

50GB should be enough to run W7 but that is not very much for a modern machine when hard drive capacities of 1TB are quite common.

If you are contemplating 64 Bit, does the rest of your system accommodate that?

For myself, I would NEVER upgrade an old machine to a new operating system. It will rarely work to its best advantage and sometimes just isn't worth the effort. New O/S, new machine every time.

When the "real" version of Windows 7 is issued that is the end of any trial versions as far as MS are concerned. They allow you a grace period during which you can make your mind up or transfer your files to the real version and it will then be gradually made inoperative.

The reports sent to MS during the trial do not contain anything personal and you are quite safe from that point of view. It is purely technical information in regard to performance of the various parts of the O/S. You can't realistically complain as you agreed to this when you began the trial and, after all, you are being given the opportunity of trying out the latest operating system entirely free of charge.

50GB should be enough to run W7 but that is not very much for a modern machine when hard drive capacities of 1TB are quite common.

If you are contemplating 64 Bit, does the rest of your system accommodate that?

For myself, I would NEVER upgrade an old machine to a new operating system. It will rarely work to its best advantage and sometimes just isn't worth the effort. New O/S, new machine every time.

Yeah I have a quad core, 8g ram etc.

I have a 500g media drive, but an 80g OS drive, 20g of which is for Ubuntu.

I will eventually upgrade the OS HDD to a larger one in the future, as long as it works fine for now, thats all I'm worried about.

Now I just gotta figure out the easiest way to fix the Grub menu.

• 1 month later...

Windows 7 will be available in a few weeks time - so you haven't missed anything. The RC version that people are using now has a restricted lifespan so you would need to change that to a full version soon anyway. I believe I tried to explain that earlier in this thread.

Windows 7 will be available in a few weeks time - so you haven't missed anything. The RC version that people are using now has a restricted lifespan so you would need to change that to a full version soon anyway. I believe I tried to explain that earlier in this thread.

Yes but I wont be able to afford to buy it right away, thats why I was trying to get the RC version.

I knew about the lifespan, but it was still good for a year.

There is no way for me to get this any more? I'll be stuck with XP Pro 32 for a while then...

There is a plain and simple hard fact. If you can't afford it, then you can't have it, hard luck. It was on offer for the first come first served at approximately £50. Several on here ordered it, it will be delivered in October. Nothing wrong with XP. Why all this constant rush to be up with the latest? :D