Vista Ultimate 64 or Windows 7?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surfing the web and running websites, general multi tasking. I'm not even a gamer. Just a computer nerd. Honestly I could use a couple more. One of my current 4 monitors is a 46" samsung, I dont use it as often as the main three 19" monitors.

The ram may be a bit overkill, but I maxed out my board now while I had the money. This way I wont have to upgrade for a while. My last computer lasted me 10 years. And technically I still have it and just used it the other day. 500 mhz.

I can post some pics if you guys are truely interested.

So what Microsoft 64 bit options can I get for really cheap?

surfing the web and running websites, general multi tasking. I'm not even a gamer. Just a computer nerd. Honestly I could use a couple more. One of my current 4 monitors is a 46" samsung, I dont use it as often as the main three 19" monitors.

The ram may be a bit overkill, but I maxed out my board now while I had the money. This way I wont have to upgrade for a while. My last computer lasted me 10 years. And technically I still have it and just used it the other day. 500 mhz.

I can post some pics if you guys are truely interested.

So what Microsoft 64 bit options can I get for really cheap?

Don't you ever go out to play?? :lol: :lol:

Definitely, i like Windows 7 more but I don't think that I will refuse Vista. One of my computers has Vista and right now I don't want to preinstall the whole system. However, it's nice that all my favorite software as Lavalys Everest and Mil Shield are running pretty well on my Windows 7 32bit, without any installation errors and work bugs

It looks very pretty but it is mostly window(s) dressing. Underneath all of this gaudiness is a computer and that is where the basics lie. Do you want a machine which will function at its best for what you want it for or do you want a machine to create an impression and look nice without actually achieving anything more substantial than its predecessors?

lulababo, that is my general opinion of these Windows re-issues but we have to accept that with each new version, in addition to all the icing and baubles, there does come some increased reliability of the whole thing.

May be that the reliability would be OK if the unnecessaries weren't there but, like all businesses, MS is there to make a profit and they can only do this by making their systems appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

My own experience in computers goes back well before Bill Gates left high school and, believe me, I would much rather use Windows 7 than struggle with some of the code and input devices (punched cards,even) that were in use back then.

lulababo, that is my general opinion of these Windows re-issues but we have to accept that with each new version, in addition to all the icing and baubles, there does come some increased reliability of the whole thing.

May be that the reliability would be OK if the unnecessaries weren't there but, like all businesses, MS is there to make a profit and they can only do this by making their systems appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

My own experience in computers goes back well before Bill Gates left high school and, believe me, I would much rather use Windows 7 than struggle with some of the code and input devices (punched cards,even) that were in use back then.

Also there are other improvements like multi-core processors working better on Windows 7 than Vista and XP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Windows 7 includes a number of new features, such as advances in touch and handwriting recognition, support for virtual hard disks, improved performance on multi-core processors, improved boot performance, DirectAccess, and kernel improvements.

Microsoft is also implementing better support for Solid State Drives, including the new TRIM command, and Windows 7 will be able to identify a Solid State Drive uniquely.

I intend buying a SSD soon so this is a welcome enhancement to my PC experience as SSD's are faster and quieter than conventional hard drives.

I intend buying a SSD soon so this is a welcome enhancement to my PC experience as SSD's are faster and quieter than conventional hard drives.

I read a comparison test between hard drives and SSD's recently.

SSD's were much slower at writing, but much faster at reading files than normal hard drives.

Whether you derive much benefit seems to depend on what you use them for.

I read a comparison test between hard drives and SSD's recently.

SSD's were much slower at writing, but much faster at reading files than normal hard drives.

Whether you derive much benefit seems to depend on what you use them for.

Thanks Alan, I didn't know that.

I'm still going to upgrade to one, as like most people, I think reading is more commonplace than writing in every day use.

p.s. I just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Asymmetric Read vs. Write Performance: Unlike other architectural elements in the memory hierarchy, storage devices based on NAND Flash memory suffer from write performance that is typically two orders of magnitude slower than read performance. Many computer applications rely on synchronous patterns of read/write operations, wherein a given write or update must be completed and the write confirmed before additional application read requests can be issued. These include transaction processing applications, computer operating system "boot-up" and even basic forms of parity-based RAID. For these applications a Flash SSD can actually be slower than a hard disk drive, due to the inability of applications to place subsequent read-requests into the device queue until previous write operations have been completed and acknowledged.

Also after reading the article it appears to be the case that if you do a lot of write operations, this substantially lessens the life of the SSD :huh:

On second thoughts, I will wait before I upgrade as I'm sure that later generations of SSD will have a go at resolving these problems.