Open Source Defragmenter

-pops-

After my disappointment with Defraggler (detailed elsewhere) I came across UltraDefrag yesterday.

Tiny in comparison with a lot of today's software, it's looking good after initial trials on three machines.

Have a look yourself - being open source it is, of course, free of charge.

http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/

After my disappointment with Defraggler (detailed elsewhere) I came across UltraDefrag yesterday.

Tiny in comparison with a lot of today's software, it's looking good after initial trials on three machines.

Have a look yourself - being open source it is, of course, free of charge.

http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/

I have been well satisfied with Diskeeper 10 for a long time now. I am presently running a trial of Diskeeper 2009, and am very impressed. I have downloaded your suggested program and will give it a run when my trial is finished. the reason that i am trialling Diskeeper 2009 is because Diskeeper 10 cannot defrag a 1TB drive, can this program do that? :D

After my disappointment with Defraggler (detailed elsewhere) ...

Funny that this survey puts Defraggler top.

On the other hand do I believe a bunch of voters who are just selecting Popular rather than Best, when I know pops and his respect his findings far more than this sort of poll.

Now we're back to share the results of the rather tight race. At the top of the heap is Defraggler, followed by a neck-and-neck—less than a percentage point difference—race for second and third place for Auslogics Disk Defrag and MyDefrag, respectively.

click to see results

Pops, out of curiousity, would you mind explaining your disappointment with Defraggler as I use Defraggler and I prefer knowing I'm using the best but am also happy with the functionalities of something I already know my way around and rather it more than downloading some new program and all that stuff.

Pops, out of curiousity, would you mind explaining your disappointment with Defraggler as I use Defraggler and I prefer knowing I'm using the best but am also happy with the functionalities of something I already know my way around and rather it more than downloading some new program and all that stuff.

See my post here:

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?s...p;hl=defraggler

I would but I don't usually see the point in purchasing software, especially online.

There will always be free alternatives that do what you want, in some cases better than the paid stuff.

I have only ever had one problem with Defraggler which I won't complain so much about but apparently after waiting 12 hours for it to defrag my laptop it had apparently cleared 12GB of space on my hard drive :huh:

Thank you for posting back though. :)

I'll check out this open source defragmenter in a bit and see what it's like :)