is MSE any good ?

geordie_john

Despite what many say about free security programs, ask yourself how a commercial concern can supply something free of charge. For what it costs Eset Nod 32 gets consistently good results, and has only ONCE failed to catch viruses from the wild, and that was several years ago. AVG and others have all failed on more than one occasion. It is up to you as to how much you value security. Ask yourself if you have ever seen people post problems on forums with ESET, and then ask how many times you have seen problems with AVG and others.smile.gif

Despite what many say about free security programs, ask yourself how a commercial concern can supply something free of charge. For what it costs Eset Nod 32 gets consistently good results, and has only ONCE failed to catch viruses from the wild, and that was several years ago. AVG and others have all failed on more than one occasion. It is up to you as to how much you value security. Ask yourself if you have ever seen people post problems on forums with ESET, and then ask how many times you have seen problems with AVG and others.smile.gif

You could also ask how it is that you can get an entire OS, FOC, that is virtually immune from/ignored by spammers and viri. An OS that installs itself, has all that anybody could need, and which is more complete in itself than Windows has ever been.

You could also ask how it is that you can get an entire OS, FOC, that is virtually immune from/ignored by spammers and viri. An OS that installs itself, has all that anybody could need, and which is more complete in itself than Windows has ever been.

For free

hello i am using MSE as my antivirus but someone told me it is not very good,has anyone got any ideas if it is or not please?

thank you.

I started using it with my new Windows 7 PC. It did detect a couple of trojans in the Real-Time protection.

It appears to be discrete otherwise - runs the scans as scheduled etc...

No complaints at present.

However, I did try to run it on my old XP PC and it just gave all sorts of problems. I never actually sorted them out, but I am happy with it on my current set-up. :D

ask yourself how a commercial concern can supply something free of charge

Ordered to by the U.S. government to protect National Defences ??? Yes, - Perhaps.

Microsoft issued this after discontinuing their Windows Live OneCare product.

Lots of commercial concerns give things away or sell them well below cost price purely as "Sales Leaders". Happens all the time on the High Street, Supermarkets, and within Computer Hardware/Software and Electronics to name but a few. Normal practice. A tin of Guinness advertised at 25 pence to draw me into a Walmart/Asda outlet will taste, and be just as good next week when the price goes up again.

I Couldn't find any reference to Microsoft Security Essentials in the link given ( http://freesoftwarecomparison.wordpress.com/2007/07/16/free-antivirus-comparison/ ) Probably because it didn't exist in July 2007.

It first appeared as "Morro" in it's beta form. Worked well then. Works even better now.

Many reviews ***Here***

MSE is quite highly regarded by very many of my U.S. Friends. And that's suprising, seeing that it is quite a hard sell market even though MSE is a freebie, due to the buggers seeming to have a negative bias towards anything Bill Gates does these days. :blink: :)

Just like Windows 7.......... They've got it right ! As a Free product it comes out highly when balanced amongst other free offerings. Does it measure up to the sort of thing you pay money for ? No of course not.

John.002wavyman.gif